I think he should be a priority to re-sign
@gabefergy

#22 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:48 PM

Peters is a true ball hawk.  Clearly he knows how to study film and how to bait QBs.  I wish he were a bit more physical tackler, but there's no question the Ravens should make him a generous offer.

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,304 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:13 AM

Peters is going to be a very interesting free agency case.

Two different teams have traded him for modest or less returns given his talent and favorable contract.  It's not so relevant that his teams soured on him and looked to deal him, but I do think it matters that there was such a lack of interest around the league in acquiring him that those teams could only get a future 2nd round pick (KC) and a 5th round pick (LA).

His performance should merit him a top-5 (or better) CB contract which would be $14M+ AAV over 5 years.  But if teams are still as lukewarm on him as they have been when he's been available in trade, maybe you can get him for a bargain.

#24 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:19 AM

Peters is going to be a very interesting free agency case.

Two different teams have traded him for modest or less returns given his talent and favorable contract.  It's not so relevant that his teams soured on him and looked to deal him, but I do think it matters that there was such a lack of interest around the league in acquiring him that those teams could only get a future 2nd round pick (KC) and a 5th round pick (LA).

His performance should merit him a top-5 (or better) CB contract which would be $14M+ AAV over 5 years.  But if teams are still as lukewarm on him as they have been when he's been available in trade, maybe you can get him for a bargain.

If EDC can manage to keep him without paying him Top 5 money, that would be pretty amazing.  I can't speak to why other teams may have soured on him, but he's been everything the Ravens could have hoped for so far.

#25 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:23 AM

It is really interesting, if the Ravens offer him say a 4-year deal with about $11.5 mill and a decent amount of guarantees, it'll ensure he gets paid now, he won't get traded (the cap hit would prevent it) and he'd be in a place that he really seems to have settled in nicely in the short-term. 

That'd seemingly be a win-win for both teams if they could find a way to do something like that. 

#26 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:24 AM

I'm also interested to watch how the Ravens play out their cap in the longer term. You've already got $60 mill on the books in space, you've got another $13 mill if you want to move on from Jefferson and Carr. I think Hurst and RG3 are an interesting case as well but there is another $5 mill in space. 

Let's just say, for the sake of the math, we add $20 million for draft picks and filling out your roster but they cut everyone. That's $58 million in space coming into the year. I want to see them get Pierce, Judon, and Peters extended. That's probably something like $18-$25 mill in space right there, too. You've got $32 million to play with on the other side. What I'm curious about is, if they don't like what's available, do they front load some of the extensions? And try and keep the cap cleaner later? In the sense, yes, you get value from Lamar now, but are you better off investing that cap down the road rather than burning it all now. 

There is plenty of room to add Peters and I think it will be interesting to see what the Ravens ultimately do with these FA's both in terms of just keeping them and how they approach the cap headed into the latter 3 years of Lamar's deal. 

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,304 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:14 PM

What I'm curious about is, if they don't like what's available, do they front load some of the extensions? 

No, they will not.  At least not as a cap strategy.  It's possible some guys with negotiating position ask for guaranteed salaries instead of bonuses for their own benefit (and to be FAs again early in the next CBA), which would flatten out the cap hits, but the Ravens won't volunteer that they'll only do it if they have to in order to get a deal done.

You can carry space forward, so it's always better to backload deals.  Think of it as an interest free loan.  If you have an interest free loan, you always make the minimum payment.

#28 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 01:04 PM

Sorry, let me rephrase, that, offer more in guarantees in the front end of a deal for a bigger total number and really high numbers on the back end of a deal. 

Like for example Thomas was 7/15/16/17 in terms of his cap hits. Williams was 5/6/14/14/14. Tavon Young is 8/8/8. 

I guess, I don't mean "frontload" as much as I mean, balanced contracts that don't require hard cut decisions and as much dead money or late extensions as we've seen in year's past. O more gentle balance on the dead money on the back end of deals. 

There is value in the future present value of carrying but there is also value in setting up contracts to ideally not be carrying huge amounts of dead money moving forward, too. 

I intended it more as balance contracts and more guaranteed money, when I said, front loaded. 

#29 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:35 PM

The Ravens got a bargain for Jimmy Smith because of the off the field stuff.

Peters doesn’t have off the field issues but there is obviously something about him that his teams have struggled with...maybe the Ravens can parlay that into a cheaper deal the same way they did with Jimmy.

I guarantee you Peters is happy here and I bet he loves the defense and how they let him just go play one on one.

@BSLRobShields

#30 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:49 PM

The Ravens got a bargain for Jimmy Smith because of the off the field stuff.

Peters doesn’t have off the field issues but there is obviously something about him that his teams have struggled with...maybe the Ravens can parlay that into a cheaper deal the same way they did with Jimmy.

I guarantee you Peters is happy here and I bet he loves the defense and how they let him just go play one on one.

I think teams feel like he's a second tier type of CB, but his playmaking skills will force a top CB type money. Peter's doesn't deserve to be a top 5 paid CB like he probably thinks he does.

#31 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:06 PM

I think teams feel like he's a second tier type of CB, but his playmaking skills will force a top CB type money. Peter's doesn't deserve to be a top 5 paid CB like he probably thinks he does.

Why? He has one of the best coverage grades in the league year in and year out. He has the most takeaways of any player since 2015.
@BSLRobShields

#32 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

The defense has been different with him in it. More dynamic, more big plays, better coverage.

I don't care how he fit in on other squads - I care about what he has done here. Pay the dude and keep him for his prime years. Only 26 years old.

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,304 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:24 PM

Remember that getting top 5 money doesn't exactly mean teams think you're one of the top 5 guys. Every top FA gets more than they're relative ranking. QB shows this trend the most obviously, basically every franchise QB becomes the highest paid guy when it's his turn regardless of if they are the best guy or the 8th best. But it applies at all positions. It's also why both Stanley and Humphrey may become the highest paid at their position (until the next guy's turn) in the next couple years.

#34 cprenegade

cprenegade

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM

He would be foolish not to test the market.  Considering his position is a valuable commodity and he has made some big plays, some team will overpay him.  Just like the Jets were willing to do with Mosely. 

#35 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:20 PM

The Ravens will have to decide if they want to use the franchise tag, and if they do is Peters the best candidate for it.

I think it would be between him and Judon. Right now I might lean towards using it on Judon just because the Ravens would be in a bad spot at OLB if they can't re-sign him or make a pretty big pick up in FA.

@gabefergy

#36 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

The Ravens will have to decide if they want to use the franchise tag, and if they do is Peters the best candidate for it.

I think it would be between him and Judon. Right now I might lean towards using it on Judon just because the Ravens would be in a bad spot at OLB if they can't re-sign him or make a pretty big pick up in FA.

But Judon isn’t that good.

Maybe if he had more talent around him, he would be better but I wouldn’t even consider a long term deal for him.
@BSLRobShields

#37 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:09 PM

I don't think Judon will get tag level money. I'd use it on Peters, if that's the only choice. But I'd try to get both deals done ASAP, if it's possible. 

I also think guys just might want to play with Lamar. If they do, $1 or $2 mill AAV could go a long way in avoiding the cap. Even if that means a $14 mill AAV for Peters and $12 mill AAV for Judon. Those numbers would be $2 and $3 mill below the cap respectively. 

That's $26 mill for those two, with $52 mill-ish current available (RSR's number). Throw another $8 mill at Pierce. Keep Bynes, let Peanut walk. Cut Hurst, Carr, and Jefferson (Roughly $15 mill) and you've still got $34 mill in cap space available for RFA's and FA. And $26+ million if you keep Carr. Even if you had that at tag money, that's $21 million in cap space. 

And I'd assume both numbers would be at least, a little bit, cap friendlier in Year 1. 

#38 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:11 PM

I view Judon as a better Jarrett Johnson. He's a better pass rusher, which is more valuable. But he's a solid edge setter, and average in space. There is value in that. 

But I also would be OK with Clowney and Ward/Ferguson, too. Bowser has been serviceable on the weak side. So it'd be worth considering. 

I also think the Ravens plan to spend in some capacity. So the cut for Bethel was equally for the pick in the upcoming year, but potentially viewing the future year's comp pick number going down. 

#39 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

But Judon isn’t that good.

Maybe if he had more talent around him, he would be better but I wouldn’t even consider a long term deal for him.

I don't think he is an elite talent by any stretch, but he does a lot for this defense. You can't just keep letting players walk away in free agency. Maybe they do let Judon go and find someone else to replace him. That's fine, but they need to invest in the OLB position.

@gabefergy

#40 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:37 PM

Wonder if they go after Watt?
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic