• BSLChrisStoner, BSLRobShields and Bmore Irish like this

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:20 PM

He did very well. Trade looks rosy after his first game.

#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:21 PM

I'll say this too - I think players like playing for Harbaugh and this organization. He was in awe of Lamar Jackson today. If he has a good season and is happy here, there's no reason he wouldn't extend if the offer was good.

#4 BSLZackMoore

BSLZackMoore

Ravens (Cap) Analyst

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

I'll say this too - I think players like playing for Harbaugh and this organization. He was in awe of Lamar Jackson today. If he has a good season and is happy here, there's no reason he wouldn't extend if the offer was good.

Just have to wait one more year on the extension. Players can't sign extensions until after their third season in the current CBA.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,297 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:49 AM

Just have to wait one more year on the extension. Players can't sign extensions until after their third season in the current CBA.

Slide is talking about the possibility of Peters extending/re-signing.

#6 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,421 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:18 PM

It's too early to say that the Ravens should definitely re-sign Peters. Lots of variables still in play, but I said in the other thread it looks like he might be the Ravens most valuable UFA heading into the offseason. If he keeps playing the way he has through the bulk of his career it makes so much sense to try to re-sign him.

The question is really going to come down to money, but the Ravens will have a lot of cap space to work with.

Stanley will probably be the #1 priority even though he has another year left.

Then it's the Peters, Judon, Pierce tier.

McPhee, Bynes, Fort, Levine, maybe Onwuasor

@gabefergy

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,328 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:23 PM

I bet Peters doesn’t have a strong market.

It could be worth it to let him test free agency and let him see what his market is.

He has been traded twice in a few years and neither return was that strong. Makes me wonder if the league doesn’t love him.
@BSLRobShields

#8 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:19 PM

He has been traded twice in a few years and neither return was far strong. Makes me wonder if the league doesn’t love him.

Well that's the case the Ravens should make. If the cap goes up significantly, the value play will always be to sign before FA. That's the argument to not have to get into a potential bidding war. 

ILB is under valued in the NFL and yet Mosley found his way into a huge contract. It only takes one team that you might not know to drive the market to unreasonable. FWIW, I think this is DeCosta's mentality matches here and it's why he signed Young to the top NCB contract, because he thought he might/would get way more in the open market. 

#9 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 388 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:22 PM

It's too early to say that the Ravens should definitely re-sign Peters. Lots of variables still in play, but I said in the other thread it looks like he might be the Ravens most valuable UFA heading into the offseason. If he keeps playing the way he has through the bulk of his career it makes so much sense to try to re-sign him.

The question is really going to come down to money, but the Ravens will have a lot of cap space to work with.

Stanley will probably be the #1 priority even though he has another year left.

Then it's the Peters, Judon, Pierce tier.

McPhee, Bynes, Fort, Levine, maybe Onwuasor

It is too early, but to keep him, do you let the oft injured Smith go?

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,328 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:26 PM

Smith is a FA.

They may bring him back at a cheaper rate though.

Could see them staying with him and parting ways with Carr.
@BSLRobShields

#11 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 388 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

Smith is a FA.

They may bring him back at a cheaper rate though.

Could see them staying with him and parting ways with Carr.

You'd hope the idea of playing alongside Humphreys and Peters for a smaller fortune might appeal to him.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,297 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:37 PM

Yes. Smith and Carr are both gone if Peters resigns. Even with a rookie QB contract you can't have Humphrey (soon), Peters, and Young getting top CB money and still have midtier prices for Smith and Carr. Especially with Thomas also making big money in the secondary.

I'd do it though if Peters stays in the $12M AAV range (assuming he plays well for us), even with Humphrey soon to be the top paid guy in the league.

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,328 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:58 PM

Yes. Smith and Carr are both gone if Peters resigns. Even with a rookie QB contract you can't have Humphrey (soon), Peters, and Young getting top CB money and still have midtier prices for Smith and Carr. Especially with Thomas also making big money in the secondary.

I'd do it though if Peters stays in the $12M AAV range (assuming he plays well for us), even with Humphrey soon to be the top paid guy in the league.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a CB making 2-5M in your scenario.

You can’t really rely on Young...Averett isn’t showing you much.

Maybe if they like what they see from Marshall or if they want Canady back enough, they go cheaper but an insurance option isn’t out of the question, especially with their cap space.
@BSLRobShields

#14 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,421 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:31 PM

I think Carr will stay, he's very valuable. I doubt they try to retain Smith.
@gabefergy

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,328 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:05 PM

He’s valuable and still pretty decent but at his age, he could fall off the cliff at any moment. That’s my concern with him.
@BSLRobShields

#16 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,421 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:28 PM

He’s valuable and still pretty decent but at his age, he could fall off the cliff at any moment. That’s my concern with him.

That is a risk, but I think his versatility and availability make him worth it. He's a solid guy that can basically play anywhere in the secondary.

@gabefergy

#17 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

For a $7 mill cap hit, I think you can evaluate the market and decide. But if they decide to keep Peters and need that cap space to say, make a run at Clowney, I'd gladly let Carr go. Ultimately, I think it'll be a true cap space decision more than anything else. 

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,297 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:34 PM

If he agrees to a paycut...maybe.  But I don't see him back at $7M cap hit while they also carry Young at an $8M hit, sign Peters to a 4/$52M-ish deal that will have at least a $6-7M cap hit in 2020 and are working towards a 5/$80Mish deal with Humphrey.  Being able to stagger the numbers for Peters and Humphrey does help though.

If they let Humphrey play out Year 4 of his deal, then maybe they bring back one of those vets.  But my guess is they do not and they ride with a top 3 of Humphrey, Peters, Young, and find depth elsewhere for far less than the $4-5M or so cap hits it'll take to bring back Smith or Carr even on reduced deals.

Definitely depends on how aggressive they intend to be in free agency and with resigning/extending guys like Pierce, Stanley, and Humphrey.  If they aren't gonna make massive splashes, then they could spend more at the CB position.

#19 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,421 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:17 PM

If he agrees to a paycut...maybe. But I don't see him back at $7M cap hit while they also carry Young at an $8M hit, sign Peters to a 4/$52M-ish deal that will have at least a $6-7M cap hit in 2020 and are working towards a 5/$80Mish deal with Humphrey. Being able to stagger the numbers for Peters and Humphrey does help though.

If they let Humphrey play out Year 4 of his deal, then maybe they bring back one of those vets. But my guess is they do not and they ride with a top 3 of Humphrey, Peters, Young, and find depth elsewhere for far less than the $4-5M or so cap hits it'll take to bring back Smith or Carr even on reduced deals.

Definitely depends on how aggressive they intend to be in free agency and with resigning/extending guys like Pierce, Stanley, and Humphrey. If they aren't gonna make massive splashes, then they could spend more at the CB position.

They could try to have Carr take a salary cut. He doesn't make an exorbitant amount, and we have seen how much this team values CBs. I'd be shocked if they dont have him on the team though regardless of what happens with Peters.

NE is paying top dollar for their secondary and it is working out quite well for them. I can see the Ravens doing the same.
@gabefergy

#20 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:53 PM

Hopefully they are trying to find a way to extend this guy now. I really like the secondary with him as our second CB and Earl as the CF safety.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners