#102 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:56 PM

Jeff Z:

Harbaugh said the Rams were insisting on Kenny Young in return.

Seattle knows LBers..they may see something there.

Is Seattle a coach? Not sure why Jeff would mention them? Or did I miss something on this trade? And Young was shipped there? 

#103 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,550 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:57 PM

Is Seattle a coach? Not sure why Jeff would mention them? Or did I miss something on this trade? And Young was shipped there? 

Maybe a misspeak/quote

@gabefergy

#104 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,111 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:09 PM

Maybe a misspeak/quote

Misspeak from Rob. Zrebiec didn't say that second line, that was Rob's. 

#105 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,111 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:10 PM

Harbaugh said that Jimmy Smith will take part in individual part of practice today.

Harbaugh said that Brandon Carr is “absolutely” an option to get reps at safety

#106 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:37 PM

Rams fans are probably trying to wrap their heads around giving up a top CB for a back-up LB and a 5th round pick while trading away two 1sts for his replacement (minor upgrade?)

Reeks of desperation from the Rams and the Ravens seem to have lucked into a major buy low opportunity.

Most reports I've read say he's not so top anymore. Personally I don't know since I don't really follow other team's players that closely, but that's  the gist I got from several google links on the trade. 

#107 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,550 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:58 PM

Most reports I've read say he's not so top anymore. Personally I don't know since I don't really follow other team's players that closely, but that's  the gist I got from several google links on the trade. 

That seems to be a media driven narrative that is not particularly accurate. He had a rough start to his tenure in LA last season, but one was one of the best CBs in football in the 2nd half of the season. Also been very good this year.

@gabefergy

#108 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,550 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:02 PM

https://twitter.com/...207565128896512

https://twitter.com/...209255357923329

https://twitter.com/...311260185075714

• BSLRobShields likes this
@gabefergy

#109 hallas

hallas

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:12 PM

https://twitter.com/...7653198849?s=21

Barnwell mentioning some inconsistencies.

https://www.espn.com...aguars-rams-won

Here’s the thing...I get that Peters wasn’t likely someone they would re-sign and I also get that they would rather have Ramsey over Peters but it’s still a little head scratching that they would make this move.

Their has to be more to this they cap space and trading for Ramsey. They just Talib, which is obviously a big loss, so not having that other good corner isn’t a good thing. Maybe someone steps up for them but they are still looking at some guys with little experience.

Schrager is saying it’s not an attitude issue, which is good to hear. But something else has to be in play here.

I took a look at this play and it looks like he is expecting help over the top. He watches him from 7 yards out, then largely lets him run by. But the Rams are in a cover-0 and playing the run. This is a huge blunder by Peters but the rest of the play call on 2nd and 5 is equally baffling - why sell out on the run in an intermediate yardage situation? Winston has an eternity to throw given that there were 8 in the box.

#110 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,281 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:48 PM

No..I’m saying that the Seahawks, who targeted Young, know LBers and likely see something in him.
@BSLRobShields

#111 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,111 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:54 PM

No..I’m saying that the Seahawks, who targeted Young, know LBers and likely see something in him.

Where was it said Seattle was targeting Young?

#112 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,281 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:56 PM

Where was it said Seattle was targeting Young?

The tweet I posted from Jeff z saying Seattle insisted on Young
@BSLRobShields

#113 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:00 PM

The tweet I posted from Jeff z saying Seattle insisted on Young

I'm confused...thought it was the Rams? Why is Seattle involved? I agree, they know what they are doing at LB though and I think Young does have value. 

That being said, I think this shows the Ravens plan to try and keep Peanut and view him as the WILB. Ultimately, Peanut and Young both seemed better suited to WILB, IMO. In fact, I think Young would have looked a lot better next to Bynes. And both guys when rotated in last year benefited from Mosley. 

So perhaps the Ravens didn't think the roster spot was there long-term for Young regardless. 

#114 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,281 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:03 PM

I'm confused...thought it was the Rams? Why is Seattle involved? I agree, they know what they are doing at LB though and I think Young does have value.

That being said, I think this shows the Ravens plan to try and keep Peanut and view him as the WILB. Ultimately, Peanut and Young both seemed better suited to WILB, IMO. In fact, I think Young would have looked a lot better next to Bynes. And both guys when rotated in last year benefited from Mosley.

So perhaps the Ravens didn't think the roster spot was there long-term for Young regardless.

Nevermind...I’m intertwining things. I didn’t realize why people were confused but yea, now it’s obvious. lol

Sorry for that f up.
@BSLRobShields

#115 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:07 PM

No worries, I just thought Seattle was involved. 

End of the day, DeCosta seems great at the evaluation, timing, and trading. That's a huge plus. 

I'm kind of curious how much Harbaugh and others in the FO was involved with Bynes, Fort, and Worrilow (way back when) or if that was more DeCosta. DeCosta seems to value speed and stats. But smarts and football IQ seemed to be the missing link heading into the season. 

#116 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:28 PM

Stats on Peters (as a CB):

2nd in NFL in receptions allowed per snap in coverage. 22.5 In comparison, Marlon Humphrey is 12th at 15.1, Brandon Carr is at 9.9

1st in the NFL in targets per snap in coverage at 14.0. Humphrey is 27th at 7.3. Carr at 6.0.

Allows a passer rating of 97.4 when he is targeted. 42nd in the league. Humphrey is 7th, passer rating of 52.8 in his direction. Carr, 88.2

Tells me his coverage is tight. But maybe so tight that if he gets beat, he doesn't regroup and close back in to make a play.

@BSLMikeRandall

#117 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,580 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:47 PM

2nd in NFL in receptions allowed per snap in coverage. 22.5 In comparison, Marlon Humphrey is 12th at 15.1, Brandon Carr is at 9.9

1st in the NFL in targets per snap in coverage at 14.0. Humphrey is 27th at 7.3. Carr at 6.0.

Allows a passer rating of 97.4 when he is targeted. 42nd in the league. Humphrey is 7th, passer rating of 52.8 in his direction. Carr, 88.2

Tells me his coverage is tight. But maybe so tight that if he gets beat, he doesn't regroup and close back in to make a play.

Sounds like Jimmy is closer to back then we may have figured.  Might see, some interesting sets, to include, Peters, Jimmy, Marlin and Carr.

@mikeghg

#118 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 660 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:40 AM

Peters should be a good fit for the Ravens. I think another playmaker is just what this defense needs and our schemes should play to his strengths.

Yahoo: Marcus Peters' fit with Ravens looks to be better than his stint with Rams
https://sports.yahoo...-032227447.html

#119 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:27 AM

Peters should be a good fit for the Ravens. I think another playmaker is just what this defense needs and our schemes should play to his strengths.

Yahoo: Marcus Peters' fit with Ravens looks to be better than his stint with Rams
https://sports.yahoo...-032227447.html

It may not be the case with everyone, but I think a large part of whether a player succeed or fails in the NFL is the scheme that they are drafted into, and the position they're put in by the coaches. All of these guys are elite-level athletes, and the bell curve between the least athletic at each position and the most athletic isn't that extreme. However, it always baffles me when teams draft a player for his best qualities, and then don't put them in position to take advantage of them. What are they thinking? Not everybody is going to be a well-rounded superstar that can do everything asked. Sometimes you just have to take someone who's great at one thing and put them in position to do that one thing as often as possible. Guys like Devin Hester might make the HoF for it.

Now, I'm not saying that Peters is one-dimensional, but I find it interesting that he was so successful with Kansas City and less so with the Rams. The Ravens have always been good at putting players in a position to do well. I think they'll do the same with him.

#120 Filmstudy

Filmstudy
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSection 153

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:33 PM

I watched a fair amount of film on him last night.  A few observations:

• In the Rams' cover 3 zone (perhaps 55-65% of snaps), he plays deep on the OLS on most plays and it's very apparent he likes to keep his eyes in the backfield to make best use of his ability to break on the ball.
  • Opposing QBs are treating him like Ed Reed in terms of their fear of throwing anywhere near him in coverage, which is part of the low target number.  The second part is that the underneath player may be getting more of the responsibility tags when the Rams are in zone.
  • Peters is the only other player in the same stratosphere with Reed as an interceptor.  When I normalize his interceptions per 16 games played to 1945-2018 INT averages, he has had 8.45 INTs/16G, Reed 7.67.  The next highest player among the top 10 interceptors of all time is Darren Sharper at 5.64.  So Reed has 36.0% more INTs than Sharper when adjusted for his era and Peters has 49.8% more.  Peters is like a baseball player hitting .450 in June.  It probably won't last, but currently, he and Reed stand alone in NFL history for INT frequency.
  • Many folks have suggested Peters should move to safety where his ball skills can be maximized.  Essentially, that's what he has been doing for much of the time based on the Rams scheme.

Michael Crawford and I did a podcast which goes into some detail on Peters play style that I think some folks may like:

https://filmstudybal...t/marcus-peters

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLRobShields, Ricker Says and 7 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners