129 replies to this topic

#81 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,526 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:47 AM

https://twitter.com/...7653198849?s=21

Barnwell mentioning some inconsistencies.

https://www.espn.com...aguars-rams-won

Here’s the thing...I get that Peters wasn’t likely someone they would re-sign and I also get that they would rather have Ramsey over Peters but it’s still a little head scratching that they would make this move.

Their has to be more to this they cap space and trading for Ramsey. They just Talib, which is obviously a big loss, so not having that other good corner isn’t a good thing. Maybe someone steps up for them but they are still looking at some guys with little experience.

Schrager is saying it’s not an attitude issue, which is good to hear. But something else has to be in play here.

They upgraded to a better talent, that is under control longer.

Doesn't seem like Peters was a malcontent, just that the Rams weren't happy with the performance.

Still they sold low, and the acquisition makes sense for the Ravens.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#82 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:34 AM

Being traded twice in your rookie deal is a red flag in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong

This was still a no brainer move for the Ravens considering the hits we've taken in our defensive backfield. He's no doubt better than Canady and Averett and he's insurance in case Smith doesn't rebound from that knee injury. If he pans out this is a major coup for the Ravens considering what they gave up.

I don't see anything not to like about this move. When you've got a 2 game lead after 6 games it's time to take some chances. If we get a pass rusher we become a major factor in the AFC this year.

#83 cprenegade

cprenegade

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:35 AM

Not only has he been traded twice in his rookie contract, but once from a team that badly needs defensive help (KC) and another from a team that figures itself a super bowl contender.  Obviously the Rams upgraded by trading for Ramsey, but why wouldn't they keep Peters after losing Talib?  Even if they aren't planning on resigning him after the season, they are working on winning now. 

I think the trade makes sense for the Ravens because it is low risk.  The pick they gave up isn't significant and the only risk for them is losing Kenny Young if he suddenly becomes a star.  That's unlikely as he basically looks like he is part of the group of talent the FO thought could replace what they lost but now looks very wrong in that assessment. 

What I don't think it does is magically transform the defense.  As I said on another thread, the secondary as constructed was good enough if the front seven was better.  He does give them another quality cb in a year when they all seem to be getting hurt, and so even if he is a rental they haven't paid that much for him.  But unless they find a way to make the front seven better and get a better pass rush I don't think it changes the equation that much.  Teams are going to attack the Ravens underneath just as they have been doing all year long. 

#84 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:40 AM

One more thought on the scheme. Now you've got two elite guys (or one elite and one very good guy) on the outside. For the love of all that is stubborn, will Martindale please play more Cover 3 and Single High with Thomas. Take away the middle, take away the sidelines. Make teams beat you underneath and give your underneath coverage guys the confidence to be aggressive knowing he's always back there. 

Get aggressive with the other 8 guys on the field for the blitz but those three guys deep together should cause QBs to hesitate to throw the ball. 

Not to mention, Peters has been known to get burnt from time to time, and blow coverages. The word is that's in part because he likes to freelance. All the more reason to have Earl patrolling the back end.

I think the trade is great value. Peters obviously has the talent, and will make big plays with his aggressive style. For what we gave up, the risk is totally worth it.

@Bmore_Irish

#85 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,200 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:46 AM

It’s easy to say, why not get a pass rusher?

Thing is, that player has to be available.
@BSLRobShields

#86 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,526 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:50 AM

It’s easy to say, why not get a pass rusher?

Thing is, that player has to be available.

Fair, but there are 13 teams which are 2-4 or worse.  There should be players available, and the bar to be better than what we have currently isn't very high.

#87 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,200 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:15 AM

Fair, but there are 13 teams which are 2-4 or worse. There should be players available, and the bar to be better than what we have currently isn't very high.

True...but of those teams, how many are making their players available, especially at a premium position.

How many of those teams are throwing in the towel for this season?

And, after answering that, how many of the players that are left over fit the scheme the Ravens run?

I tend to think they add something and see if it helps...but I would think that Peters brought us the best combo of available talent, legit talent, playmaker and not costly to obtain.
@BSLRobShields

#88 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,200 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:16 AM

Brian is saying the Ravens have roughly 2M in cap space now.
@BSLRobShields

#89 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,194 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:24 AM

Brian is saying the Ravens have roughly 2M in cap space now.

Really not a lot of great candidates for restructuring to open up space, either.

You're looking for vets with big salaries and multiple years left on their deal.  Brandon Williams is basically the only choice.  Could generate a little bit ($500k-1.5M here or there) from Carr, Koch, or J.Hurst.  

#90 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,526 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:39 AM

Jets are done, might not trade. Probably will play for .500 and momentum into '20.

Dolphins are done, anything left to move?

Broncos are done, but Elway says nobody is on the trading block. We'll see. 
Chargers have a chance to get  hot, and back into the WC race... but they are a bad week away from being in a dire position. 

Browns aren't trading to us, and still believe they are a contender. 
Pittsburgh isn't trading to us, and will play for .500. 

Cincinnati is horrible enough they have to think about a couple of years out, maybe they'd trade within the division. 

Jaguars... worth inquiring there and seeing what else is available. Maybe they'd take picks for Ngakoue. 
Titans.... hey we can bring back Urban and Correa.  (I'm kidding...though did like Urban, but he's doing nothing.)

Giants... they'd take picks. Nothing I see the Ravens could want defensively. Maybe Tate if they wanted a WR, but probably too much $.

Redskins...  you'd think they'd want picks...  Jonathan Allen? How much would you give there? Wouldn't think Sweat would be available. Kerrigan?   Paul Richardson if you wanted another WR?

Bucs...  Suh? Nassib?  Shaquil Barrett has 9 sacks...  he's a FA after the year. 

Falcons...  Beasley? 

And as you guys have mentioned... space obviously an issue.

#91 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,384 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:27 AM

Shaqil Barrett might make sense, but I would imagine the asking price would be high.

Maybe a guy like Vic Beasley if Atlanta could eat some of the salary.
@gabefergy

#92 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,200 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:29 AM

I don’t think all of those teams think they are out of it...but the deadline is the 26th I believe, so after this Sunday, decisions have to be made for sure.
@BSLRobShields

#93 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,200 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:30 AM

Shaqil Barrett might make sense, but I would imagine the asking price would be high.

Maybe a guy like Vic Beasley if Atlanta could eat some of the salary.

If you are Tampa, you are figuring on Barrett getting you at least a 4th and probably a 3rd round comp pick.

So, the asking price is at least that and probably really hoping for a 1..while settling on a 2 and maybe a 4th.

@BSLRobShields

#94 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,526 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:36 AM

Would be awesome to land Ngakoue or Barrett and lock them up. 

#95 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,200 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:46 AM

Jets are done, might not trade. Probably will play for .500 and momentum into '20.
Dolphins are done, anything left to move?

Broncos are done, but Elway says nobody is on the trading block. We'll see. 
Chargers have a chance to get  hot, and back into the WC race... but they are a bad week away from being in a dire position. 

Browns aren't trading to us, and still believe they are a contender. 
Pittsburgh isn't trading to us, and will play for .500. 
Cincinnati is horrible enough they have to think about a couple of years out, maybe they'd trade within the division. 

Jaguars... worth inquiring there and seeing what else is available. Maybe they'd take picks for Ngakoue. 
Titans.... hey we can bring back Urban and Correa.  (I'm kidding...though did like Urban, but he's doing nothing.)

Giants... they'd take picks. Nothing I see the Ravens could want defensively. Maybe Tate if they wanted a WR, but probably too much $.

Redskins...  you'd think they'd want picks...  Jonathan Allen? How much would you give there? Wouldn't think Sweat would be available. Kerrigan?   Paul Richardson if you wanted another WR?

Bucs...  Suh? Nassib?  Shaquil Barrett has 9 sacks...  he's a FA after the year. 
Falcons...  Beasley? 

And as you guys have mentioned... space obviously an issue.

Chandler Jones?

https://www.pff.com/...hers-nfl-week-6
@BSLRobShields

#96 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:21 AM

This was still a no brainer move for the Ravens considering the hits we've taken in our defensive backfield. He's no doubt better than Canady and Averett and he's insurance in case Smith doesn't rebound from that knee injury. If he pans out this is a major coup for the Ravens considering what they gave up.

I don't see anything not to like about this move. When you've got a 2 game lead after 6 games it's time to take some chances. If we get a pass rusher we become a major factor in the AFC this year.

I don't disagree with the trade, just people already talking about extending him when from what I've read the Rams weren't happy with the guy's performance. Obviously they also needed to clear cap space for Ramsey, But Peter's Pro Bowl seasons seem to have stayed in KC. Maybe another change of scenery will help. Who knows?

#97 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:39 AM

I don't disagree with the trade, just people already talking about extending him when from what I've read the Rams weren't happy with the guy's performance. Obviously they also needed to clear cap space for Ramsey, But Peter's Pro Bowl seasons seem to have stayed in KC. Maybe another change of scenery will help. Who knows?

I'm sure the Ravens are looking at this as a 10 game trial period. For what they gave up there's really no loss if they let him walk after this season. Hell, they got a 5th for Vedvik and Young was pretty much done here.

#98 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

Reading comments from Rams fans, I'm hearing they think he gets burned too much while gambling, going for the ball rather the tackle. I wonder if in the Ravens' scheme, with ET playing center field, that is less risky? I do love a ball hawk.

#99 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,384 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:36 PM

Rams fans are probably trying to wrap their heads around giving up a top CB for a back-up LB and a 5th round pick while trading away two 1sts for his replacement (minor upgrade?)

Reeks of desperation from the Rams and the Ravens seem to have lucked into a major buy low opportunity.

@gabefergy

#100 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,200 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:43 PM

Jeff Z:

Harbaugh said the Rams were insisting on Kenny Young in return.

Seattle knows LBers..they may see something there.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners