• sandiegosean likes this

#2 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,733 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:17 AM

Sooo...they're doing the same crap they've been doing with Davis for the last 3 years.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:40 AM

Sooo...they're doing the same crap they've been doing with Davis for the last 3 years.

I think the key thing with Davis was that Elias committed that Davis would be here for ST.  He did not commit to anything past that, which is a change in tone from the past.  

#4 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,855 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

If they non tender Villar and keep Daivs I will flip all the tables!

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,632 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:12 PM

IMO, way too much worrying about Davis.  I would like to see him released, both for his own good and so we do not have the daily Davis discussions, but until the Orioles decide they would like to win more than 50 games or they decide it is time for Mountcastle, who really cares.

@mikeghg

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,702 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:05 PM

What about non-tendering Villar and attempting to re-sign him at a reduced rate?

Really Roch?

That would be called offering him a contract extension.  :)

@BSLRobShields

#7 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:11 PM

IMO, way too much worrying about Davis.  I would like to see him released, both for his own good and so we do not have the daily Davis discussions, but until the Orioles decide they would like to win more than 50 games or they decide it is time for Mountcastle, who really cares.

Personally, I share your opinion. Who cares, it's sunk money and he isn't hindering the team's progress. The only difference now is, it's starting to feel like the team has (or very soon will have) a better use for Davis's roster spot. Right now, it's all just talk and sound bites. But that talk is reinforcing the idea that they'd rather pay him to harm the team, and by extension, the team's development, than to just send him on his merry way. 

Well see...

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,976 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:54 PM

Unless we trade Mancini, we need to release Davis.  It was fine to roster him when his presence wasn't blocking anybody.  But now there are enough guys that need time at the major league level that he's gotta go.

Keeping him is now actually harms us for the future, and not just the present, IMO.  And any hope of him ever being successful enough to get someone else to take on a little of the contract has completely vanished.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:09 AM

Unless we trade Mancini, we need to release Davis.  It was fine to roster him when his presence wasn't blocking anybody.  But now there are enough guys that need time at the major league level that he's gotta go.

Keeping him is now actually harms us for the future, and not just the present, IMO.  And any hope of him ever being successful enough to get someone else to take on a little of the contract has completely vanished.

All good points

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#10 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:58 AM

Other arbitration-eligible Orioles include Mancini, Dylan Bundy, Mychal Givens, Miguel Castro, Richard Bleier and Hanser Alberto.

No one in the group is an obvious non-tender.

MLBTradeRumors.com predicts that Bundy and Mancini will each receive $5.7 million, Givens $3.2 million, Alberto $1.9 million, Castro $1.2 million and Bleier $1.1 million.

I'm done with Bundy, and Castro and Bleier are replaceable.  That's $8MM.  I'd rather keep Villar around and jettison those three.  Heck, I'd bet Alberto's season was a fluke, and now you're at $9.9MM.

#11 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,702 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:58 AM

You don’t just drop Bundy for nothing.
@BSLRobShields

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,976 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:02 AM

Castro and Bleier are the only ones you can consider non-tendering.  And even with them, it's such small amounts that they could just figure out a fair deal around $1M and hope either can pitch decently like they have on occasion in the recent past.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners