Photo

Ravens Beat Cincinnati; 4-2 with Seattle Next (Post-Game Thoughts)

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,133 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:31 AM

https://filmstudybal...-bengals-101319

@BSLRobShields

#62 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,133 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:33 AM

I am all for running the ball, that is the strength of this Ravens team.  But better teams, with better D lines, will look to take that away.  You have to be able to make them pay for selling out to stop the run.  I'm not sure the Ravens can really do that without Brown. The Steelers have a good DL and limited the run game.  Without Brown, even in limited snaps, I don't think we win that game.

I thought the Ravens running game was one that can't be stopped?

It doesn't matter if teams sell out for or not...this team is built to run the ball.  They have Ricard, paid big money to Boyle to block and they have a good run blocking line.  You need to run it and use RPO and play action off of the run.

Its the only way this team can win.  This is no different than the Flacco years.  Lamar has more pure talent around him than Joe did but its also young talent and Lamar is young..lots of learning happening.  But, just like those Joe years, this is not a team that will win games throwing the ball 35-50 times a game.

@BSLRobShields

#63 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,133 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:35 AM

https://twitter.com/...0482200576?s=20

@BSLRobShields

#64 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:41 AM

I am all for running the ball, that is the strength of this Ravens team.  But better teams, with better D lines, will look to take that away.  You have to be able to make them pay for selling out to stop the run.  I'm not sure the Ravens can really do that without Brown. The Steelers have a good DL and limited the run game.  Without Brown, even in limited snaps, I don't think we win that game.

That will be the overall sentiment of most people and it is sound in logic.  But when you have a quarterback like Lamar, you add another running back to be aware of, as much as he resents that description of him.  Yes, you can load up on the line of scrimmage but I don't think they need to be throwing bombs down the field to loosen things up.  I've thought for years that the Ravens should take a page(or several) out of New England's playbook and just eat teams up in the seams.  It's by far Jackson's most efficient area to throw, as it would be for most quarterbacks.  Even if you're only getting 10-15 yards, you're still moving the chains, chewing up clock and I do think we have the wide receivers/tight ends to feast on those routes.  Yesterday, Lamar stayed within those parameters and didn't go crazy downfield for the exception of the miss TD hook up with Snead.  I really do think that's what they should do, all Hollywood Brown aside.  I'd rather see Brown catch a 10 yard pass in space and utilize his breakaway speed than sprint down the field trying to catch homerun balls. I promise you, after several of those completions and first downs, the linebackers will begin to retreat into coverage and there will still be plenty of opportunity to bulldoze teams on the ground.  

#65 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:43 AM

Yep.  

I mean, look at what teams are doing to KC, for example.  The Ravens didn't fully embrace that strategy and it cost them.

40+ times a game...that should be the game plan every single week.

Music to my ears.  I don't now if Roman feels the same way, though. 

#66 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:47 AM

Score closer than the game ever felt.

Jackson was terrific. First time this year I thought that he left himself exposed to lots of big hits. But he was the entire offense and played really well. A few missed throws, only one big one, but good decision making and obviously he was transcendent running the ball.

I thought Cinci took some cheap high shots and got away with them.

I never thought the Ravens were in danger yesterday.  I think they played well. 

I realize there is a group on here that live to get on and kill the Ravens, but yesterday's game was pretty much what I expected.

The pass rush and left guard are areas that need addressing.  Bozeman has spurts where he looks good in run blocking, but he struggles in pass blocking.

@mikeghg

#67 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

I thought the Ravens running game was one that can't be stopped?

It doesn't matter if teams sell out for or not...this team is built to run the ball.  They have Ricard, paid big money to Boyle to block and they have a good run blocking line.  You need to run it and use RPO and play action off of the run.

Its the only way this team can win.  This is no different than the Flacco years.  Lamar has more pure talent around him than Joe did but its also young talent and Lamar is young..lots of learning happening.  But, just like those Joe years, this is not a team that will win games throwing the ball 35-50 times a game.

It can be slowed down.  The team is averaging 37.2 rushing attempts per game; they are not going to abandon the run, which is a good thing.  But 3.45/yards per attempt (like vs. PIT) is not going to get us a win.  Lamar has to be able to pass the ball down field to beat better teams.  Which is why I think a healthy Brown is very important.

• Mike B likes this

#68 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:59 AM

It can be slowed down.  The team is averaging 37.2 rushing attempts per game; they are not going to abandon the run, which is a good thing.  But 3.45/yards per attempt (like vs. PIT) is not going to get us a win.  Lamar has to be able to pass the ball down field to beat better teams.  Which is why I think a healthy Brown is very important.

The only game I did not think the Ravens ran the ball enough was KC.

37 rushes a game is a lot.  They have followed the plan for most of the year.

Lamar is improving.  Still missing some big plays, but the offense is young.  It will continue to improve.

• ravens82 likes this
@mikeghg

#69 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:00 AM

I realize there is a group on here that live to get on and kill the Ravens, but yesterday's game was pretty much what I expected.

The pass rush and left guard are areas that need addressing.  Bozeman has spurts where he looks good in run blocking, but he struggles in pass blocking.

Bozeman was getting penalized so often yesterday, I was having flashbacks to "False Start" Oher.

#70 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,133 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:00 AM

People were complaining about the crowd...did you feel the same way?

@BSLRobShields

#71 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,133 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:01 AM

I agree with you.

My question was more rhetorical because some people have said they don't see anyone stopping our run game...just to dynamic and too many moving parts.

@BSLRobShields

#72 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

It was not real high energy, from my vantage point.  But after big plays by the offense and on key 3rd downs it felt pretty loud.

#73 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

The only game I did not think the Ravens ran the ball enough was KC.

37 rushes a game is a lot.  They have followed the plan for most of the year.

Lamar is improving.  Still missing some big plays, but the offense is young.  It will continue to improve.

You're right, they only had 32 rush attempts @KC.  That seemed to be part of the plan though; Harbaugh had decided that the only way to win against them was to be "aggressive".

#74 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:09 AM

I thought it was loud at points.  It was a nice day to be there.  The thing that bothered me, was people left right after the third Tucker FG.

I stay to the final kneel down.

@mikeghg

#75 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:10 AM

Bozeman was getting penalized so often yesterday, I was having flashbacks to "False Start" Oher.

I have not watched the game on TV yet, but I thought the hold on him was cheap.

The first off side, he seemed 2 counts quick.

@mikeghg

#76 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:11 AM

I thought it was loud at points.  It was a nice day to be there.  The thing that bothered me, was people left right after the third Tucker FG.

I stay to the final kneel down.

Sure was perfect football weather!

#77 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,382 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

Bozeman is a problem imo. Very poor performance pretty much every game.
@gabefergy

#78 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,480 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:13 PM

I’m flying to Seattle Friday morning. They better show up ready to play.
  • BSLRobShields and ravens82 like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#79 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,133 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:13 PM

Bozeman is a problem imo. Very poor performance pretty much every game.

Yep...4 penalties yesterday.

They keep putting Powers on the inactive list but you wonder if they are closer to starting him.

@BSLRobShields

#80 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:22 PM

Yep...4 penalties yesterday.

They keep putting Powers on the inactive list but you wonder if they are closer to starting him.

I am not a James Hurst fan, but I think it is time to make him the left guard.

• BSLGabeFerguson likes this
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners