Photo

Ravens Beat Cincinnati; 4-2 with Seattle Next (Post-Game Thoughts)

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,391 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:24 PM

Next week will be tough, but I think it will be a competetive game. I would think Seattle should be favored by 4-5 points. 

I think the Ravens should have scored a lot more points today, but they did a lot of things very well. 

@gabefergy

#42 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,391 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:44 PM

fwiw, Steelers look like they are a pretty good team, especially on defense. Bengals scored 3 points in week 4 and Chargers have scored 3 points so far tonight.

@gabefergy

#43 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:28 PM

This win tonight puts the Steelers back in the division imo.

They aren’t out of things.

They have a lot of winnable games coming up.

Their next 3 games are home games vs Miami, Indy and the Rams.

They certainly could win all of those...winning while Baltimore and Cle are playing teams like NE and Seattle.
@BSLRobShields

#44 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:53 PM

The standings will be all that matters in a couple weeks when they are back at .500 too.

Can you give me the Powerball numbers for this week? Thanks in advance.

#45 primetime

primetime

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:14 AM

The standings will be all that matters in a couple weeks when they are back at .500 too.

This is a mediocre team at best. I couldn't care less that good teams lose to bad teams sometimes in the NFL. So what.

All I'm saying, is this isn't a very good team, and I'm right. Unfortunately.

I find this team difficult to watch. The offense piles up yards but the Miami game notwithstanding, we're good for about 25 points and as a result, we let teams hang around. Besides Lamar making strides with his mechanics, from a results standpoint, we're the same offense from the last 7 games of 2018.

Lamar is a bright spot, particularly when he takes off but the offense in general is far from "revolutionary". We should be using the RPO look a lot more, as it's where Lamar shines in both his decision making and his playmaking. Instead, we go empty backfield far too often; doing so simply doesn't mesh with where Lamar is at in his development.

His ability to read the defense and deliver the ball from the pocket on a straight dropback is still a work in progress. We should be utilizing play action/RPO concepts as much as possible to create potential mismatches and easy throws.

Defensively, the shortcomings are obvious; we can't generate any consistent pressure, we lose the edge on running plays, we struggle in zone coverage, we haven't generated a ton of turnovers and our tackling has been scattershot at best.

Winning is of course better than losing and 4-2 at this point seems about right. As far as the upcoming schedule goes, there are some tough games for sure but neither the Bills, nor the Rams scare me, those 2 games are very winnable. Winning those games and taking care of business within the division should be enough to secure a 2nd straight division title. It goes to show how unimpressive the North is this year.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@primetime667083

#46 primetime

primetime

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:20 AM

I should add that I find the NFL difficult to watch in general these days. Poor play and ridiculous officiating have severely diluted the product, IMO. You hold your breath after every big play because you're expecting a flag and the replay system has become an afterthought because the zebras are not fixing obvious mistakes.
  • BSLChrisStoner, Hooded Viper, BSLMikeRandall and 2 others like this
@primetime667083

#47 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:27 AM

I predicted the team to finish 7-9 this year.

I definitely felt they would lose at Pitt but then the Ben injury occurred. I also looked at a game like SF as an “easy” game. That isn’t the case anymore.

I still am not seeing anything from them to come off the 7-9 record. Maybe because of the Pitt win, I can see 8-8.

But at the end of the day, what is happening that should make me believe that they will beat good teams?
@BSLRobShields

#48 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,795 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:36 AM

I predicted the team to finish 7-9 this year.

I definitely felt they would lose at Pitt but then the Ben injury occurred. I also looked at a game like SF as an “easy” game. That isn’t the case anymore.

I still am not seeing anything from them to come off the 7-9 record. Maybe because of the Pitt win, I can see 8-8.

But at the end of the day, what is happening that should make me believe that they will beat good teams?

I'm sure Colts fans may have said the same before beating KC.

Or the Jets before beating Dallas.

I think the Ravens have the capability to hang with anyone in the NFL. It's limiting the one or two mistakes they make (turnovers especially) that cost them.

And Lamar is the great equalizer. He's not perfect my any stretch but he does things that no one in the NFL can do.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#49 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 580 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:38 AM

I find this team difficult to watch. The offense piles up yards but the Miami game notwithstanding, we're good for about 25 points and as a result, we let teams hang around. Besides Lamar making strides with his mechanics, from a results standpoint, we're the same offense from the last 7 games of 2018.

Lamar is a bright spot, particularly when he takes off but the offense in general is far from "revolutionary". We should be using the RPO look a lot more, as it's where Lamar shines in both his decision making and his playmaking. Instead, we go empty backfield far too often; doing so simply doesn't mesh with where Lamar is at in his development.

His ability to read the defense and deliver the ball from the pocket on a straight dropback is still a work in progress. We should be utilizing play action/RPO concepts as much as possible to create potential mismatches and easy throws.

Defensively, the shortcomings are obvious; we can't generate any consistent pressure, we lose the edge on running plays, we struggle in zone coverage, we haven't generated a ton of turnovers and our tackling has been scattershot at best.

Winning is of course better than losing and 4-2 at this point seems about right. As far as the upcoming schedule goes, there are some tough games for sure but neither the Bills, nor the Rams scare me, those 2 games are very winnable. Winning those games and taking care of business within the division should be enough to secure a 2nd straight division title. It goes to show how unimpressive the North is this year.

Very good points. When you look at the entire league though there's no reason not to give the Ravens a fighting chance. KC is now beatable and now let's see how we match up with Seattle and New England. The Chargers aren't the juggernaut we thought they'd be and we get a firsthand shot at the Texans and the 49ers. It's shaping up to be a very exciting season IMO.

#50 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:00 AM

I'm sure Colts fans may have said the same before beating KC.

Or the Jets before beating Dallas.

I think the Ravens have the capability to hang with anyone in the NFL. It's limiting the one or two mistakes they make (turnovers especially) that cost them.

And Lamar is the great equalizer. He's not perfect my any stretch but he does things that no one in the NFL can do.

I agree with all of this.

But still, prove it to me.

Since Lamar took over as QB, the Ravens have beaten one good team...LA last year. You can perhaps argue that the Browns at the end of last year were a pretty good team but basically, they have one really good win over the last 14 games or so.

If they win this week or against NE, I will change my tune and have a belief.

And btw, to be clear, this isn’t really about Lamar so much as the entirety of the team.
@BSLRobShields

#51 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,795 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:11 AM

I agree with all of this.

But still, prove it to me.

Since Lamar took over as QB, the Ravens have beaten one good team...LA last year. You can perhaps argue that the Browns at the end of last year were a pretty good team but basically, they have one really good win over the last 14 games or so.

If they win this week or against NE, I will change my tune and have a belief.

And btw, to be clear, this isn’t really about Lamar so much as the entirety of the team.

Should have beaten KC last year, hung close with them this year....

If you stay in close games, you give your chance to win at the end.

I think the defense has to improve a lot in order to get to the next level. And the offense needs to score TDs instead of settling for FGs.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#52 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM

Should have beaten KC last year, hung close with them this year....

If you stay in close games, you give your chance to win at the end.

I think the defense has to improve a lot in order to get to the next level. And the offense needs to score TDs instead of settling for FGs.

Close doesn’t matter to me...in fact it’s worse.

They continue to make enough mistakes to where they can’t win big games. It’s frustrating that they keep getting so close and penalties, dropped balls, poor coaching, etc...prevents them from winning these games.

So, until they start to show that they can win these games, I will continue to be pessimistic about their chances.
@BSLRobShields

#53 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:03 AM

4-18-1 is the combined record of the teams they have beaten this year.

Over the next several weeks, we will see how good (or bad) this team really is.
@BSLRobShields

#54 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:19 AM

The next few weeks will be tough. Houston looks good. San Fran looks really good. Seattle is always dangerous with Wilson. New England is a near auto-loss. Buffalo has a great defense.

But Lamar Jackson is learning to take over games, and all it takes is one guy to play out of his mind to take a game off a team that might be better than you.

I say they're 7-5 going into the home stretch with a chance to control their own destiny.

#55 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

4-18-1 is the combined record of the teams they have beaten this year.

Over the next several weeks, we will see how good (or bad) this team really is.

Not that it's directly related to your post but they're 16-2 during the Harbaugh era when rushing for more than 200 yards.  It's probably an oversimplification of what needs to be done going forward but the general, statistical gist is they've got a much better chance when they run the ball effectively and a lot.   

#56 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:46 AM

They need Marquise Brown to get healthy.  He's a guy that opponents have to gameplan for and he's got Lamar's trust.  If he's back, I think the Ravens chances of pulling the upset @SEA improve a lot.

#57 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:58 AM

They need Marquise Brown to get healthy. He's a guy that opponents have to gameplan for and he's got Lamar's trust. If he's back, I think the Ravens chances of pulling the upset @SEA improve a lot.

Seattle's secondary can be beaten. Their front seven is better.

#58 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:59 AM

Not that it's directly related to your post but they're 16-2 during the Harbaugh era when rushing for more than 200 yards.  It's probably an oversimplification of what needs to be done going forward but the general, statistical gist is they've got a much better chance when they run the ball effectively and a lot.   

Yep.  

I mean, look at what teams are doing to KC, for example.  The Ravens didn't fully embrace that strategy and it cost them.

40+ times a game...that should be the game plan every single week.

@BSLRobShields

#59 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:07 AM

Seattle's secondary can be beaten. Their front seven is better.

Cleveland did run on them yesterday, so that is encouraging for the Ravens.

Also, Dissly is out (not that I want to see someone blow out their achilles) but that is certainly helpful to the Ravens.

@BSLRobShields

#60 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

Yep.  

I mean, look at what teams are doing to KC, for example.  The Ravens didn't fully embrace that strategy and it cost them.

40+ times a game...that should be the game plan every single week.

I am all for running the ball, that is the strength of this Ravens team.  But better teams, with better D lines, will look to take that away.  You have to be able to make them pay for selling out to stop the run.  I'm not sure the Ravens can really do that without Brown. The Steelers have a good DL and limited the run game.  Without Brown, even in limited snaps, I don't think we win that game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners