Photo

Ravens Beat Cincinnati; 4-2 with Seattle Next (Post-Game Thoughts)

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:32 PM

Per ESPN: "Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson is first player to ever produce over 200 yards passing and 150 yards rushing in a regular season game in the Super Bowl era."

Not bad for a running back...
  • bmore_ken likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#22 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,825 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:33 PM

People are way too quick to judge the record than to look further at what's really happening. This was the same vibe among the masses after beating Miami and Arizona to start 2-0, I said we could just as easily be 2-2 after week 4, we were. Now people are starting to get chubbed up over being 4-2 after facing a 3rd string QB (and barely winning) in Pittsburgh, and then winning vs. A horrid Cinci team at home. And the same thing is about to happen, we'll be 4-4 after 8 games.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,540 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:44 PM

People are way too quick to judge the record than to look further at what's really happening. This was the same vibe among the masses after beating Miami and Arizona to start 2-0, I said we could just as easily be 2-2 after week 4, we were. Now people are starting to get chubbed up over being 4-2 after facing a 3rd string QB (and barely winning) in Pittsburgh, and then winning vs. A horrid Cinci team at home. And the same thing is about to happen, we'll be 4-4 after 8 games.

Nah...their flaws are apparent...but its 2019 NFL and basically everyone has holes.

There are a handful of teams that are definitively better than the Ravens...definitively a group of teams worse.

Ravens in that tier where on their best days they might be able to leap up and beat the best, but you'd expect them to be exposed.

Health, matchups, luck. All going to factor.

This Seattle game, Houston, 49ers, @Buffalo, @Cleveland...pretty big swing games imo.

What you said the upside is, I basically agree. Im not opposed to trades that bring in difference makers though. Assuming if we're giving up value, we're getting back players under multiple yrs of control.

Past that, play things out...running game, good special teams, limit your mistakes...get the youth improving month-to-month...see the Secondary improve (health)...gain experience...have a good FA / Draft season and be legit contenders in '20.

#24 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:31 PM

Good enough to win today.  Not going to get it done next week or against NE.

#25 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,892 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:34 PM

I think there is a chance the defense can improve dramatically without any major personnel changes like acquiring someone we'd have to trade a 1st for.

Not saying I expect that. But I think it's possible. Need a lot of things to go right, and I don't think the upside is an elite unit like last year, but I can see us getting back to respectability.

#26 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,547 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:43 PM

I swear there is no pleasing half you MFers around here. Pisses me off. Why do you watch if either the opposition sucks, so the game shouldn't count, or the opposition is good so the Ravens don't have a chance?

I hope this dumb team shoves it in your pie hole next week.

The team played well...it was a good team effort.

Still, no pass rush vs a bad Oline and the score being closer than it should have been feels like something was left out there.
@BSLRobShields

#27 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,023 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

Wilson vs Jackson will be fun to watch next week

#28 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,776 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

The team played well...it was a good team effort.

Still, no pass rush vs a bad Oline and the score being closer than it should have been feels like something was left out there.

I don't deny there is room for improvement. Every team has areas they can improve. 

But look around the league today. Cleveland held Seattle down for most of the game. The NFC Champs did squat, at home, against the 49ers and have now lost 3 in row. Dallas loses to the Jets. KC loses two in a row. 

Crazy stuff happens every week. So you take the win, because in the standings that is all that matters. 

• bmore_ken and JStruds like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#29 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:15 PM

I don't deny there is room for improvement. Every team has areas they can improve. 

But look around the league today. Cleveland held Seattle down for most of the game. The NFC Champs did squat, at home, against the 49ers and have now lost 3 in row. Dallas loses to the Jets. KC loses two in a row. 

Crazy stuff happens every week. So you take the win, because in the standings that is all that matters. 

Couldn't agree more

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#30 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,825 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:21 PM

The standings will be all that matters in a couple weeks when they are back at .500 too.

This is a mediocre team at best. I couldn't care less that good teams lose to bad teams sometimes in the NFL. So what.

All I'm saying, is this isn't a very good team, and I'm right. Unfortunately.
  • primetime likes this
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#31 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,348 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:38 PM

I would suggest that today you’re too quick to judge the final score versus the actual game. This was a domination. Truly could have been 31-6 or something

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#32 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

The standings will be all that matters in a couple weeks when they are back at .500 too.

This is a mediocre team at best. I couldn't care less that good teams lose to bad teams sometimes in the NFL. So what.

All I'm saying, is this isn't a very good team, and I'm right. Unfortunately.

I have to agree with pretty much every thing you said but I do think they're a more entertaining team to watch since Jackson took over at quarterback last year.  At least I enjoy watching them more.  They have enough talent to stay in most games...they'll win some, lose some and at the end of the year, will probably be 8-8 or possibly 9-7.  But in this sorry division, that could very well leave them champs for the 2nd year in a row.  After that, I suppose "anything can happen" comes into play.  Realistically though, they have too many holes on defense to get them very far.  They can't rush the quarterback and don't create many turnovers, leaving their weaknesses exposed against good quarterbacks and teams.  I keep hoping for lightning in a bottle and for someone to suddenly start producing sacks along the front 7 but if it hasn't happened by now, I seriously doubt it will going forward. 

#33 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,825 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:50 PM

I would suggest that today you’re too quick to judge the final score versus the actual game. This was a domination. Truly could have been 31-6 or something

It's not the score so much as the way they looked. A couple long drives ending in FG's. Some easy passes given up on defense, though the D generally played well overall. They just look very meh to me.

Only thing I'll say, when you see a team like the Jets beat the Cowboys, gotta give the Ravens credit for winning against the teams they're supposed to beat, even if Miami is the only game they dominated.

Whatever, I'm a diehard fan. I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

#34 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,348 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:56 PM

It's not the score so much as the way they looked. A couple long drives ending in FG's. Some easy passes given up on defense, though the D generally played well overall. They just look very meh to me.

Only thing I'll say, when you see a team like the Jets beat the Cowboys, gotta give the Ravens credit for winning against the teams they're supposed to beat, even if Miami is the only game they dominated.

Whatever, I'm a diehard fan. I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

All good. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
  • Ricker Says likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#35 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,776 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:20 PM

If that is the case, all the more reason it’s important to have won the last two games they did. Will I be surprised if the Ravens are 4-4 in three weeks? No. Will I be surprised if they are not competitive in those games (like the Cleveland game)? Yes.

As a “diehard” you should remember how the 2012 season went. The atrocious football they played at times, the good teams that wrecked them. The subpar teams they lost to. People getting fired, players getting cut. Season only ended the best possible way any season can end.

That’s why I don’t get the takes. Unless it’s fishing for a reason to beat your chest for a month if they lose these two games. Really going out on a limb predicting losses to two teams a combined 11-1.
@BSLMikeRandall

#36 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,825 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:24 PM

There's a glaring lack of hall of fame talent on this team compared to the 2012 roster. That was also a team coming off a trip to the AFC title game and Cundiff'ed away from a trip to the SB. Apples to oranges.

I think this roster needs a little more work to have the upside we all want it to have.

#37 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,825 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:27 PM

My 3rd string QB dig at the win last weekend may be unfair as it turns out. Hodges looks really good.

#38 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,547 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:09 PM

What you see tonight is that the Pitt defense is for real...and even though Jackson had a poor game against them, they still found a way to win a game that was with a lot of gifts from the refs.
@BSLRobShields

#39 CMU27

CMU27
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:11 PM

The week to week league.....yeah, Steelers 24-0 midway through the 3rd quarter out west.  I'd say 'at the Chargers', but it sounds like a Pittsburgh home game.

As the clock continued to go 'tick tick' in the 4th quarter, my only gripe was the 3rd and goal pass left.  Should have gone right, should have run, and made Cincy burn a TO at that stage.

As is......since teams are something like 4 for 66 in onside attempts since the rule change (heard that during the Jets-Cowgirls game), I knew the game was basically over at the three minute mark.  Don't really care about the Bungles scoring that last TD.....they had no chance.  A good, dominant, controlling win. 

Ravens will probably fall at Seattle, looking bad at times,...like they always do out there.  They won't total 500 yards, won't dominate on D, and won't win.  That's the way it is sometimes.

Or maybe they will win.  Who picked the Vikes to tear up Philly, the Steelers to dominate tonight, and the woeful Jets to control Dallas the way they did?  Not I

#40 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,547 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:20 PM

Good and bad this week:

Bad:

1) Cinci 5-11 on third down.
2) KO return for TD
3) Penalties
4) To go with #3...how do you keep Bozeman out there?
5) Only 2 sacks
6) Only 23 points despite yards and TOP advantage
7) Only Andrews over 28 yards receiving

Good:

1) Lamar played really well.
2) 270 rushing yards
3) 497 total yards and 39 min TOP
4) Defense played well. Few back shoulder throws that got some chunk yardage but other than that, not much.

End of the day, this was always a game where the negatives would outweigh the positives. Not getting a pass rush against that line is not good. Relying on Lamar’s legs is not good. Not getting the ball down the field, especially to guys not named Andrews, is not good. Not getting more points is not good. Against a team this bad, division game or not, you want to bury them. Yes, I agree that the game never felt close but they were still an onsides recovery away from this game being very interesting.

Put this another way...nothing about this game makes me think we can beat Seattle or NE. The best thing about tonight is that they again showed a commitment to the run game and Seattle did struggle with running today.
  • mdrunning likes this
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners