Photo

BSL: Jackson’s improved, but where does he still need to grow?

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#41 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:51 AM

There were doubts that Lamar could improve his accuracy since his college numbers were not that strong. The fact is that he worked extremely hard in the off season to improve his passing and he seems to have improved. I think Jackson's biggest issue going forward is his lack of protection from his O line. The last couple of weeks he has been under duress from the pass rush. Further, Cleveland and Pittsburgh have contained him well when his protection breaks down. It's understandable, but it seems his throwing mechanics break down under consistent pressure.Overall, he has improved as a passer and the overall numbers bear it out.

But I wonder how much of that is Lamar just holding on to the ball too long and not going through his progression of reads quickly enough?  Or are the receivers not getting separation or running their routes properly?  It could be a combination of a lot of things in addition to poor pass protection.  What I do think Lamar is not doing this year compared to 2018, is he's not making a decisive move as quickly to get out of the pocket and run downfield.  He looks a lot more determined this year to stay put and get the pass off and if he takes some sacks, so be it.  

• JStruds likes this

#42 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:29 AM

But I wonder how much of that is Lamar just holding on to the ball too long and not going through his progression of reads quickly enough? Or are the receivers not getting separation or running their routes properly? It could be a combination of a lot of things in addition to poor pass protection. What I do think Lamar is not doing this year compared to 2018, is he's not making a decisive move as quickly to get out of the pocket and run downfield. He looks a lot more determined this year to stay put and get the pass off and if he takes some sacks, so be it.

Good points, and I agree that Lamar looks determined to stay in the pocket rather than taking off as his pocket is breaking down.

#43 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:16 AM

Good points, and I agree that Lamar looks determined to stay in the pocket rather than taking off as his pocket is breaking down.

That's exactly what he did against the Steelers and it was a bit frustrating because we know how good of a runner he is. It's a delicate balance that he has to figure out and I'm sure that was a big emphasis from the coaches this week. It'll be interesting to see how he approaches the game today as he continues to grow into his position.

#44 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:57 AM

I didn’t see them because they didn’t exist.

You're just a liar. They exist

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,540 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:59 AM

Then it shouldn't be hard for you to show them. 

Do a search, show the links. 

#46 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,547 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

Well, think you are a moron and have no idea how to read what people are saying and since you won’t prove your point here, I’m going to continue with my thought process on this matter.
@BSLRobShields

#47 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:21 PM

Then it shouldn't be hard for you to show them.

Do a search, show the links.

Ya'll have to be kidding. I can't believe what I'm reading. All off season all we've done is argue about and debunct all the negativity. It was absolutely said that Jackson wouldn't get any better. It was said that qbs who threw for under 60% in college didn't improve in the NFL. I debunked that myself with a story from ESPN. It was said that Jackson couldn't throw the out pattern. It was said that Jackson wasn't intelligent. It was said that the Ravens should draft another qb in the first round last draft. It was said that the Ravens would be strictly a running team with Jackson at QB and that he was probably gonna get hurt. All of this just off the top of my head. We all know who said these things but we can dig through a year's worth of posts and pull them up if necessary. Anyone who says anything different who's a regular on this board is flat out lying.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,540 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:22 PM

Ya'll have to be kidding. I can't believe what I'm reading. All off season all we've done is argue about and defunct all the negativity. It was absolutely said that Jackson wouldn't get any better. It was said that qbs who threw for under 60% in college didn't improve in the NFL. I debunked that myself with a story from ESPN. It was said that Jackson couldn't throw the out pattern. It was said that Jackson wasn't intelligent. It was said that the Ravens should draft another qb in the first round last draft. It was said that the Ravens would be strictly a running team with Jackson at QB and that he was probably gonna get hurt. All of this just off the top of my head. We all know who said these things but we can dig through a year's worth of posts and all pull them up. Anyone who says anything different who's a regular on this board is flat out lying.

Do a search and show the comments then... again, it shouldn't be hard to do. 

You and Ken are saying people flatly said Jackson can't get better.  

Okay, show it. 

(And some of what you are saying was said above was said... but I don't think it was said that he couldn't improve. Also have to be able to discern between the difference of who said what vs. stating the 'board' said.)

#49 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:25 PM

Do a search and show the comments then... again, it shouldn't be hard to do.

You and Ken are saying people flatly said Jackson can't get better.

Okay, show it.

You gotta be joking.

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,540 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:26 PM

You gotta be joking.

No, I'm not.  

Show it where it was said he can't improve. 

If it was said that often, by that many people... surely you can show it in numerous examples right?

#51 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:30 PM

No, I'm not.

Show it where it was said he can't improve.

If it was said that often, by that many people... surely you can show it in numerous examples right?

I just told you what was said. Are you calling me a liar?

#52 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,547 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:37 PM

I don’t recall anyone on here saying, with 100% certainty, that Jackson would never improve.

When you say “can’t”, that means 100%.

Again, I don’t recall that.
@BSLRobShields

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,540 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:53 PM

I just told you what was said. Are you calling me a liar?

As I said previously... 

Some of what you are saying was said above was said... but I don't think it was said that he couldn't improve. Also have to be able to discern between the difference of who said what vs. stating the 'board' said.

You are going to have to show me where people were saying he can't improve. 

#54 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:26 PM

As I said previously...

Some of what you are saying was said above was said... but I don't think it was said that he couldn't improve. Also have to be able to discern between the difference of who said what vs. stating the 'board' said.

You are going to have to show me where people were saying he can't improve.

That's just nonsensical. Calling for drafting a qb, saying that his passing wouldn't improve, calling him unintelligent and so on all fall under that umbrella. You all are just playing dumb right now.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,540 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:27 PM

That's just nonsensical. Calling for drafting a qb, saying that his passing wouldn't improve, calling him unintelligent and so on all falls under that umbrella. You all are just playing dumb right now.

I feel you are just trolling.  Whatever. 

But no... 

1) Someone saying the Ravens should draft a QB is a dumb statement... but the only guy I know who said that is banned.  It also doesn't necessarily mean Jackson can't improve... it means that poster didn't think he could.  But fine, at-least one poster said that, so okay. 

2) I don't think Jackson was called unintelligent. Did see his football acumen questioned.  Think either way, they were wrong. He's country and young, but seems pretty sharp to me. Also, he's a natural leader, and people gravitate to him. Combine the leadership, with his strong work ethic, and you really have something. 

3) I saw a lot of people question Jackson this off-season (and still). And I've seen a lot of skepticism... but I've also seen pretty much every 'skeptical' post, state they are rooting for him, chance he improves... will be looking to see if he improves...   don't recall really any posts saying, "He can not improve." 

3a) I mean, I consider myself a Jackson fan. I wanted him drafted before the selection. And I said since then, I never thought he'd be accurate and I still wanted him. Me saying I never thought he'd be an accurate precision passer I guess could be interpreted as 'skeptical', but I've always been excited about what he could bring the Ravens on this initial contract (when he costs little).

#56 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:31 PM

I feel you are just trolling. Whatever.

Trolling? You got the wrong guy or the wrong definition.

#57 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:33 PM

That's just nonsensical. Calling for drafting a qb, saying that his passing wouldn't improve, calling him unintelligent and so on all falls under that umbrella. You all are just playing dumb right now.

Definitely some short memories around here.

#58 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:41 PM

I feel you are just trolling. Whatever.

But no...

1) Someone saying the Ravens should draft a QB is a dumb statement... but the only guy I know who said that is banned. It also doesn't necessarily mean Jackson can't improve... it means that poster didn't think he could. But fine, at-least one poster said that, so okay.

2) I don't think Jackson was called unintelligent. Did see his football acumen questioned. Think either way, they were wrong. He's country and young, but seems pretty sharp to me. Also, he's a natural leader, and people gravitate to him. Combine the leadership, with his strong work ethic, and you really have something.

3) I saw a lot of people question Jackson this off-season (and still). And I've seen a lot of skepticism... but I've also seen pretty much every 'skeptical' post, state they are rooting for him, chance he improves... will be looking to see if he improves... don't recall really any posts saying, "He can not improve."

3a) I mean, I consider myself a Jackson fan. I wanted him drafted before the selection. And I said since then, I never thought he'd be accurate and I still wanted him. Me saying I never thought he'd be an accurate precision passer I guess could be interpreted as 'skeptical', but I've always been excited about what he could bring the Ravens on this initial contract (when he costs little).

So much of this is wrong but we've beaten this subject to death. I really find it hard to believe that this is even being questioned right now after all the discussions we've had. Jackson is speaking for himself and that's all that matters.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#59 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:46 PM

So much of this is wrong but we've beaten this subject to death. I really find it hard to believe that this even being questioned right now after all the discussions we've had. Jackson is speaking for himself and that's all that matters.

Amen to that

#60 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,547 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:47 PM

Definitely some short memories around here.

You and knight always misrepresented people’s arguments and you are doing it here.

Again, there is a difference between doubting Lamar could be good (like I did) and saying he 100% won’t be good.

You do understand the difference there, right?

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners