1. So how is it that both Melewski and Meoli are coming up with these terrible opinions at the same time?
2. As for Villar @ 10.4M, I'll take the under. A lot under. I'll take the under @ 8M.
3. How is it that Melewski doesn't understand 2020 payroll? The Orioles don't pay deferred salaries now. They don't save money for them because that deferred money will count against the future year in terms of costs. You don't count it twice. If you aren't smart enough to understand it, there's a "2020 Baseline" post that describes it. I'm not making up my own math system, I just put the numbers in an Excel spreadsheet. Steve, if that's mean and you are smart enough to understand it, why do you keep portraying it that way?
It feels like they are using the "25-man roster - Salaries and pro-rated signing bonuses" from COT's but that's not 2020 costs.
4. Any discussions or reference to the AAV values for CBT purposes (or even any references to it) is just silly. It will literally never be in play for the Orioles. Never. Ever. We don't need to include it in anything because it is never an issue. Period.
If you're Boston, it's important. It's important for a half dozen other teams. Not even a consideration for the Orioles.
5. Why does Meoli continue to push this narrative?
...and in 2019, the Orioles also made it a point to not devote much money that wasn’t already committed to the major league roster, instead using those resources to build up the scouting and player development infrastructure.
The DNC just can't have this many openings.
6. So how do with get to this comment?
They’d be back around that $86 million figure with Cobb, Davis and arbitration raises, plus their league-minimum players. And there’s no way the Orioles are going to lose 100-plus games for that much money a third straight year.
Where have they spent another 20M???? Is Biden's kid working for the Orioles? If they basically take everyone, they're somewhere around 65M (2020 Baseline) for the 26-man. Yes you have to account for the 40-man at some point and yes you'll have the Est Player Benefits, but those are in a different discussion. Keep it apples to apples.
We should feel confident they'll be comfortably under 60M when the season starts.