57 replies to this topic

#41 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:40 PM

jamesdean was talking specifically about pass rushers and you named one stud pass rusher who probably should've gone top 5 but inexplicably fell to 10 as that draft went off the rails (remember that was the year that someone got skipped for not getting their pick in and there was lots of chaos).  

I think jamesdean is right that finding a stud primary pass rusher outside the top-10 is very difficult.  It can be done, but your odds of a pick outside the top 10 not making that level of impact are pretty high.  Boulware and Suggs are the only DE/OLB that the Ravens have drafted in the first, both very highly.  They've done a decent job finding secondary or complementary pass rushers, but the one guy that everyone is afraid of is usually a very high pick.  

They haven't had a lot of those picks to make, of course.  Especially not since Harbaugh got here, with Stanley being the only time they drafted above the middle of the round.  

And when you're lucky enough to draft someone like the Bosa brothers or Von Miller, you hang on to them like grim death because they're so rare outside of the top 10.   

#42 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

jamesdean was talking specifically about pass rushers and you named one stud pass rusher who probably should've gone top 5 but inexplicably fell to 10 as that draft went off the rails (remember that was the year that someone got skipped for not getting their pick in and there was lots of chaos).

I think jamesdean is right that finding a stud primary pass rusher outside the top-10 is very difficult. It can be done, but your odds of a pick outside the top 10 not making that level of impact are pretty high. Boulware and Suggs are the only DE/OLB that the Ravens have drafted in the first, both very highly. They've done a decent job finding secondary or complementary pass rushers, but the one guy that everyone is afraid of is usually a very high pick.

They haven't had a lot of those picks to make, of course. Especially not since Harbaugh got here, with Stanley being the only time they drafted above the middle of the round.

It was the Vikings who were on the phone trying to trade down and never told the league office they made a trade. Suggs was looked at as a fringe top 10 player after his poor showing in workouts. Teams thought he was too slow to be an effective linebacker, and too small to be an effective lineman. He fell because of that. Ravens reaped the benefits.

And I was talking about the front 7 as a whole, that is why I mentioned those guys. But I think you are severely underrating Ngata as a pass rusher. He consistently pushed the pocket, especially in his prime. He wasn't Aaron Donald, but he was still dominant in his prime.

But you have guys like Frank Clark, Dee Ford and Clowney who became available. Those are elite pass rushers. They cost you a first and some, but like you said, players like Clowney are top 5 picks, if you're planning on picking in the teens or later, why wouldn't you trade that for an elite pass rusher.

#43 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,547 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:17 AM

Jeff Z:

Roman said screens and short passes to Marquise Brown are something team would like to add into offense. Didn’t quite pinpoint why we haven’t seen any of that yet other than to say you can’t show everything at once.

That’s just stupid
@BSLRobShields

#44 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:28 AM

Jeff Z:

Roman said screens and short passes to Marquise Brown are something team would like to add into offense. Didn’t quite pinpoint why we haven’t seen any of that yet other than to say you can’t show everything at once.

That’s just stupid

My guess it has more to do with ramping up his workload, but they aren't going to come out and say that he isn't up to date with the offense.

@gabefergy

#45 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:34 AM

My guess it has more to do with ramping up his workload, but they aren't going to come out and say that he isn't up to date with the offense.

I'm not sure its a matter of him understanding the offense, as much as it is him not being healthy. He went from a foot to now an ankle. They probably don't want to overload him and end up injuring him even more.

#46 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,547 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:34 AM

Perhaps...otoh, they aren’t doing this stuff with any player, so I’m more inclined to think Roman is just struggling trying to figure out the passing offense, since that is definitely not his strength.
@BSLRobShields

#47 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:38 AM

Perhaps...otoh, they aren’t doing this stuff with any player, so I’m more inclined to think Roman is just struggling trying to figure out the passing offense, since that is definitely not his strength.

Yeah, could be. Or how to use a player like Brown. He really should be a focal point of the offense.

@gabefergy

#48 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,547 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, could be. Or how to use a player like Brown. He really should be a focal point of the offense.

Yea, it could as simple as that.

Of course, if you don’t know how to use him, why the hell are you drafting him?
@BSLRobShields

#49 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:17 PM

Yea, it could as simple as that.

Of course, if you don’t know how to use him, why the hell are you drafting him?

I feel like there has been a disconnect between coaching and FO for years

@gabefergy

#50 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,547 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:27 PM

I feel like there has been a disconnect between coaching and FO for years

No doubt there.

@BSLRobShields

#51 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

Can anyone tell me why the most productive player in the preseason, Miles Boykin, has barely been on the field the last 2 games?  

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,540 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:43 PM

Can anyone tell me why the most productive player in the preseason, Miles Boykin, has barely been on the field the last 2 games?  

All want to see him get involved... maybe not ready? 

Wasn't immediately productive at Notre Dame, was a late-bloomer. 

Sure he's going through an adjustment period.  

I want to see the snap count up though.

• Hooded Viper likes this

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,892 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:46 PM

Because preseason is worthless.

I'd be all for Boykin being more involved, he's made some plays and we don't have anyone else like him.  But the rationale for why you're using here is not sound.

#54 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

I've been as strong of a Jackson advocate as they come but this film just shows that Jackson held us back.

There were good looks, that he was staring down, and he made poor decisions to not throw and made the wrong reads. I don't know if they keys were wrong and he just wasn't looking to the right places first but this is a really telling set of film on missed opportunities downfield for Jackson.

The throws were actually there. Pitt didn't take them away all that well, Jackson just held it too long or didn't take some of the open looks. 

https://www.baltimor...wn-mark-andrews

• BSLGabeFerguson likes this

#55 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:45 PM

I'll add, the combos that were the bad plays and sacks here weren't all on Roman. I think the INT was on play design but there is plenty to see on tape here that the route combos aren't as bad as it seems once you get the coaches film. 

#56 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:23 PM

Because preseason is worthless.

I'd be all for Boykin being more involved, he's made some plays and we don't have anyone else like him.  But the rationale for why you're using here is not sound.

Huh, I just asked a question Mack?  Not sure if anyone knows. 

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,892 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:36 PM

Huh, I just asked a question Mack?  Not sure if anyone knows. 

"Most productive player in the preseason"

This implies that you think he should be playing because he had a good preseason.  Which I don't think is good reasoning.  Preseason performance means nothing, IMO.  It's not really any different than saying "why has Notre Dame's best WR from last season barely been on the field".  The modifier changes the whole context of the question.

I think it'd be great if Boykin were used more.  Maybe he's capable and we're under-utilizing him.  Or maybe they are giving him everything he can handle right now and we don't see him more because he's not currently better than Roberts or Moore.  But his preseason performance is a complete non-factor in any decision.

#58 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:56 PM

I've been as strong of a Jackson advocate as they come but this film just shows that Jackson held us back.

There were good looks, that he was staring down, and he made poor decisions to not throw and made the wrong reads. I don't know if they keys were wrong and he just wasn't looking to the right places first but this is a really telling set of film on missed opportunities downfield for Jackson.

The throws were actually there. Pitt didn't take them away all that well, Jackson just held it too long or didn't take some of the open looks. 

https://www.baltimor...wn-mark-andrews

I think this was Lamar's worst game by far, but I don't like seeing him trending in the wrong direction. Hopefully this week will be a "get right" game against a really poor defense.

Spencer Schultz is a great follow on twitter fwiw

@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners