57 replies to this topic

#21 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:52 AM

Amen, brother. And I just watched the highlights of the Cleveland game last night and it's amazing what a pass rush, namely Nick Bosa can do to a quarterback. He was a one man wrecking crew and all I kept thinking was, "man, it would be great to have someone like that." Mayfield leaves Baltimore looking All-World and exits SF looking like Ryan Leaf.

A great pass rush is better than a great secondary. DeCosta and Ozzie's neglect of the front 7 has finally come back to hurt them. We desperately need edge talent. Losing Suggs and Mosley has been all of the difference in this defense. And they did next to nothing to replace them. Part of that is arrogance on their part, assuming that we always develop good talent at those positions and putting too much faith in what they had.

#22 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,709 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:28 AM

Our offense is OK. I’d like to see it do better obviously but they’re scoring around 26 PPG excluding Miami.

It’s the defense that is having “woes”.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#23 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:57 AM

A great pass rush is better than a great secondary. DeCosta and Ozzie's neglect of the front 7 has finally come back to hurt them. We desperately need edge talent. Losing Suggs and Mosley has been all of the difference in this defense. And they did next to nothing to replace them. Part of that is arrogance on their part, assuming that we always develop good talent at those positions and putting too much faith in what they had.

But it's really hard to draft those kind of guys unless you're picking in the Top 5, which the Ravens won't, barring a complete collapse. They're as hard to find as shut down corners.  So, I don't completely put all the blame on DeCosta and Ozzie.  The Ravens pass rush even with Sugss and Mosely left a lot to be desired.  What they're departure did hurt was the rush defense.  

#24 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:02 AM

But it's really hard to draft those kind of guys unless you're picking in the Top 5, which the Ravens won't, barring a complete collapse. They're as hard to find as shut down corners. So, I don't completely put all the blame on DeCosta and Ozzie. The Ravens pass rush even with Sugss and Mosely left a lot to be desired. What they're departure did hurt was the rush defense.

Ravens have almost never picked in the top 5 and have drafted guys like Suggs, Mosley, Reed, Lewis, Ngata and Humphrey outside of the top 5. In fact, Suggs and Ngata were the highest picks at 10th and 11th overall. Everyone else went in the mid-teens or later.

And I don't expect them to draft or sign an elite guy. But to completely ignore it other than McPhee, that's unacceptable.

#25 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,871 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:46 AM

Ravens have almost never picked in the top 5 and have drafted guys like Suggs, Mosley, Reed, Lewis, Ngata and Humphrey outside of the top 5. In fact, Suggs and Ngata were the highest picks at 10th and 11th overall. Everyone else went in the mid-teens or later.

jamesdean was talking specifically about pass rushers and you named one stud pass rusher who probably should've gone top 5 but inexplicably fell to 10 as that draft went off the rails (remember that was the year that someone got skipped for not getting their pick in and there was lots of chaos).  

I think jamesdean is right that finding a stud primary pass rusher outside the top-10 is very difficult.  It can be done, but your odds of a pick outside the top 10 not making that level of impact are pretty high.  Boulware and Suggs are the only DE/OLB that the Ravens have drafted in the first, both very highly.  They've done a decent job finding secondary or complementary pass rushers, but the one guy that everyone is afraid of is usually a very high pick.  

They haven't had a lot of those picks to make, of course.  Especially not since Harbaugh got here, with Stanley being the only time they drafted above the middle of the round.  

#26 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,470 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

Burns, one of the few guys I really wanted in the draft this year, went 16th and he looks like he will be a stud.

Watt was drafted in the early teens IIRC.

But yes, at the end of the day, its hard to get premium talent at any position (outside of RB) in later rounds.  

@BSLRobShields

#27 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:47 AM

For all the "winning" DeCosta did in the draft and preseason trades his inability to see that LB was our area of need is probably the biggest negative to me. By that point that Clowney was dealt we had a projected comp 3rd and a 5th and a 4th on the way. We knew we didn't like Williams or Bowser and should have had some sense for Young and Board. There had to be a window to put a value package together to Houston for him. 

Likewise, Bynes has been on street since March. How was he not a camp body? After we tried and failed to sign Worrilow, why was Bynes not given a look? Were we really that worried that Alaka was going to get claimed? I'm glad we've retained his rights but I have a hard time we couldn't see in practice what we've seen on the field. 

Also, I wonder why Jaleel Scott is still inactive. We've heard he was bigger and faster. He seemed to be making splash plays in practice, he lit up the preseason. Roberts hasn't done a ton to impress me. Now I don't know what Scott's feel for zones and the game is really like. If it was just all body and contested catches, I don't think we need more of that, BUT we've seen 2 tipped balls on contested catches turn to INTs, so maybe that is what we need a guy who can do so more dirty work in traffic. 

DeCosta (and the Ravens whole front office) gets an A+ for valuation in the market but an incomplete for the moment on internal assessment, self scouting, and matching personnel to game plan. 

#28 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,470 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:02 PM

As Mike pointed out, they do like Roberts as a blocker.

OTOH, if you aren’t running it more than they are, why worry as much about that?

I would really like to know what’s going on with the younger players.

Hill, Scott and Boykin are either inactive or struggle to make the field.

Is the offense so complicated that they can’t figure it out?

This isn’t a super talented team. We need the most talented guys we have out there.
@BSLRobShields

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,471 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:26 PM

As Mike pointed out, they do like Roberts as a blocker.

OTOH, if you aren’t running it more than they are, why worry as much about that?

I would really like to know what’s going on with the younger players.

Hill, Scott and Boykin are either inactive or struggle to make the field.

Is the offense so complicated that they can’t figure it out?

This isn’t a super talented team. We need the most talented guys we have out there. 

Hill...  got the other two backs....  question with young backs always seems to be blitz pickup. 

Boykin... he was a late bloomer at Notre Dame....  might be a longer adjustment period there. But agree, he needs more looks. 

Those two getting involved, and making consistent impact would definitely change the offense. 

#30 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,333 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:27 PM

The offense is hard to watch right now. The offense has regressed to the the 2018 version, basically depending on Lamar to make plays with his legs to get anything going. There have been some improvements in his ability to pass the ball, but the weapons just aren't there to make plays downfield on a consistent basis.

It feels a lot like week 1 was an illusion. The Ravens caught a bad team off guard and took advantage. They have been mediocre or worse since week 1.

• BSLRobShields likes this
@gabefergy

#31 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,470 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:39 PM

Hill...  got the other two backs....  question with young backs always seems to be blitz pickup. 
Boykin... he was a late bloomer at Notre Dame....  might be a longer adjustment period there. But agree, he needs more looks. 
Those two getting involved, and making consistent impact would definitely change the offense. 

Yea, I wonder about the blitz pick up too.

And yes, he has 2 other backs in front of him but they are similar players.

He provides an element to backfield that is missing.
@BSLRobShields

#32 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,333 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:39 PM

Weeks 2-5:

Lamar Jackson completing 62.7% of passes, 6.67 YPA, 6 TDs, 5 INTs and 14 sacks.

He's barely attempting deep passes anymore, and the shots he is taking are ending in incompletions or interceptions. He doesn't seem to be seeing the field well right now. If his first read isn't there, there isn't much happening.

Now this isn't all on Lamar. The OL is having issues and the WRs aren't doing much, but I think a lot is Lamar holding onto the ball too long. I don't think he is seeing the field well and I also think he is not throwing the ball with anticipation right now. He needs to see his receiver coming open before throwing the ball.

There are some things I think the Ravens can do to get the offense back on track. I'd like to see more PA, more boot action, more quick hitting passes over the middle. 

• hallas likes this
@gabefergy

#33 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,470 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:47 PM

It really doesn’t seem like they have a clue as to how to use Brown.
@BSLRobShields

#34 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:15 PM

The lack of creativity to get the ball in Brown's hands is puzzling. Bubble screens, jet sweeps, short routes off of RPOs, even just motioning him across the formation to occupy the defense or get him moving before the snap. I don't know why we haven't seen more of that yet. Maybe they're still trying to limit his snaps and touches, but I don't think they can afford to wait much longer.

• Mackus likes this

@Bmore_Irish

#35 hallas

hallas
  • Members
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:42 PM

Weeks 2-5:

Lamar Jackson completing 62.7% of passes, 6.67 YPA, 6 TDs, 5 INTs and 14 sacks.

He's barely attempting deep passes anymore, and the shots he is taking are ending in incompletions or interceptions. He doesn't seem to be seeing the field well right now. If his first read isn't there, there isn't much happening.

Now this isn't all on Lamar. The OL is having issues and the WRs aren't doing much, but I think a lot is Lamar holding onto the ball too long. I don't think he is seeing the field well and I also think he is not throwing the ball with anticipation right now. He needs to see his receiver coming open before throwing the ball.

There are some things I think the Ravens can do to get the offense back on track. I'd like to see more PA, more boot action, more quick hitting passes over the middle.

Is play action really going to get the pass game going? Teams already have to leave a linebacker in the box to shadow Lamar, and their run option schemes force them to sell out against the run in most situations. I think it’s more because of the types of routes the WRs are being asked to run.

#36 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,333 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:52 PM

Is play action really going to get the pass game going? Teams already have to leave a linebacker in the box to shadow Lamar, and their run option schemes force them to sell out against the run in most situations. I think it’s more because of the types of routes the WRs are being asked to run.

Play action is far and away the best mechanism to open up easy passes. It's not going to work 100% of the time, but across the league it helps improve passing numbers.

@gabefergy

#37 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,470 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:56 PM

I definitely think Romans inability to scheme a passing offense is a problem.

I find it too coincidental that we continuously see receivers close to each other.
@BSLRobShields

#38 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,333 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

I definitely think Romans inability to scheme a passing offense is a problem.

I find it too coincidental that we continuously see receivers close to each other.

Also a lot of inexperienced receivers, but I agree the passing offense is a real concern.

@gabefergy

#39 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

This drives me more batty than anything else...

#40 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,470 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:23 PM

Also a lot of inexperienced receivers, but I agree the passing offense is a real concern.

Yea, I think the inexperience could be a factor but we are seeing it with vets or rookies.

I’m sure sometimes people screw up BUT it’s happening too much for it to always be a screw up.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners