#101 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:16 PM

Not entirely.  I think Lamar has some issues in progression reads.  Flacco was the same way.  And if he's coming up to the line of scrimmage and sees what the defense is doing, is he changing the play or trying to fit a square into a round hole?  I would say it's more of trying to force things that aren't there.  I also think he was much more decisive last year when he didn't see an open receiver and took off.  You want to see him develop as a passer but at what expense?  His main talent is running with the football, not throwing it and I think it will always be that way until he's past his prime.  

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle of what you/Biggsy are saying. 

Lamar knows that he has the legs to take off, but his primary talent has been throwing the ball. It seems like he's taking longer because he knows his legs will get him out of it, which was working earlier on but seems to be less successful as we go along. 

I don't think he's looking for highlights, and I don't think he's trying to force anything. I think he's still adjusting to game speed with varying amounts of success. 

#102 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,547 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:18 PM

https://filmstudybal...-steelers-10619

@BSLRobShields

#103 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:39 PM

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle of what you/Biggsy are saying. 

Lamar knows that he has the legs to take off, but his primary talent has been throwing the ball. It seems like he's taking longer because he knows his legs will get him out of it, which was working earlier on but seems to be less successful as we go along. 

I don't think he's looking for highlights, and I don't think he's trying to force anything. I think he's still adjusting to game speed with varying amounts of success. 

Fair enough, but you and I definitely disagree on that one statement. 

#104 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:51 PM

I'll add this as a post-game thought about the officiating which was as close as it could have been to what seemed like a point shaving attempt by the refs. The league's defiance to "defend" refs is making it worse for fans. The NFL wants to stand up the calls on the field and that in turn makes them seem like they are saying these guys are infallible. 

I think the league's got it totally backwards. Two of the three Roughing calls could easily have been reversed by a quick look at the replay, undo those calls. Admit the game moves fast. Admit the refs can get it wrong because of that. And own getting the calls "right". Make quick decisions and empower a review team to get it right and don't punish refs for getting calls in the moment wrong. Let refs throw the flag every time for contact to the helmet and then review it quickly. The refs constantly huddle and talk among themselves, nothing wrong with giving extra caution on the field but allowing it to be reversed just as quickly. 

I thought the non overturned PI in the Green Bay - Philly game a few Thursday nights ago was about as bad as it gets (and then the overturned one to boot). So these aren't just happening in the Ravens game. The NFL seems to have forgot their constituency here is the fans and not the refs. 

Make these guys full time, put more people on the field, in practices, in the box. Open up communication between the refs and the teams. This stuff is all fixable if the NFL gets their head out of the sand. 

#105 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:53 PM

Make these guys full time, put more people on the field, in practices, in the box. Open up communication between the refs and the teams. This stuff is all fixable if the NFL gets their head out of the sand. 

I find it crazy that the officials aren't all full-time employees. Maybe I'm not understanding it, but what exactly is holding this back besides LOL CAPITALISM because that can't be it?

#106 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:03 PM

I find it crazy that the officials aren't all full-time employees. Maybe I'm not understanding it, but what exactly is holding this back besides LOL CAPITALISM because that can't be it?

Have you met the NFL? They are bathing in cash, paid their leader $40+ million in one year, but they won't install the same HD cameras in all the stadiums for reviews (so perhaps the replays weren't as good because the good CBS crew wasn't there so there are less cameras), they won't employ these guys (and gals) full time that are officiating. It's all about the money to these guys.

Heck, Pittsburgh didn't have a functioning cart and says they let a concussed man talk them into letting him walk off the field. And yet, if you touch a QB in the helmet and he doesn't even react you get a flag. 

Their hypocrisy is probably the most frustrating thing about my fandom. Easily solvable problems for a league that has millions of ways to do it, and they chose not to. 

#107 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:13 PM

Have you met the NFL? They are bathing in cash, paid their leader $40+ million in one year, but they won't install the same HD cameras in all the stadiums for reviews (so perhaps the replays weren't as good because the good CBS crew wasn't there so there are less cameras), they won't employ these guys (and gals) full time that are officiating. It's all about the money to these guys.

Heck, Pittsburgh didn't have a functioning cart and says they let a concussed man talk them into letting him walk off the field. And yet, if you touch a QB in the helmet and he doesn't even react you get a flag. 

Their hypocrisy is probably the most frustrating thing about my fandom. Easily solvable problems for a league that has millions of ways to do it, and they chose not to. 

I get all of that. And I'm sure that maximizing profit is a strong contributor. But...as with a lot of industries, wouldn't a better product bring about more profits? Isn't it really that simple? Especially when the increase in expense is so small compared to the whole. That's literally what...$10mm a year extra? Maybe $20mm?

#108 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:23 PM

I'm not sure the NFL is actually worried about the quality of their product, that being said, this is what brings giant entities down, no? The inability to have insight over the weaknesses of what will drive people away. 

• The Epic likes this

#109 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

I'm not sure the NFL is actually worried about the quality of their product, that being said, this is what brings giant entities down, no? The inability to have insight over the weaknesses of what will drive people away. 

100% fair. 

I know the Kap thing doesn't need to be said but that's a fat Exhibit A right there.

• BSLJordanKough likes this

#110 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,330 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:55 PM

I'd love for them to better develop Boykin. They need to consciously get him more involved. I think there's alot to work with there.

You mean cuz he's huge and has tremendous upside?  It's like they don't look at other WRs other than Brown or TEs...and occasionally Snead.  How aren't we utilizing Snead out the slot much better?

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#111 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,547 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:42 AM

Tackles held up well....interior Olineman struggled.

https://filmstudybal...-steelers-10619

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners