BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,470 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

Young is the biggest loss. 

Yea maybe. I can see that, since they are losing in the slot often.
@BSLRobShields

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,471 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:31 PM

Yea maybe. I can see that, since they are losing in the slot often.

With them both, maybe they would've been able to scheme some pressure. Or at-least get coverage sacks.

Without them, and with zero pressure, it's a difficult situation. 

• JStruds likes this

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,471 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:32 PM

As Rob said, never wish for injuries... and you do lose experience.... but looking forward to seeing more of Elliott and Clark.

#44 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:34 PM

As Rob said, never wish for injuries... and you do lose experience.... but looking forward to seeing more of Elliott and Clark.

You also lose receivers running wide open where he should be covering.
  • BSLRobShields likes this

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,471 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:36 PM

Kenny Young and Anthony Averett both inactive today.  Understandable, as it's been a tough stretch for both here to begin '19. 

I thought Young had some real positive moments last year, and I've liked Averett as well (seems like a plus athlete to me, moves well). 

I'm hoping they can earn their way back into the mix at some point. 

Will say with Averett, he was coached up at Bama.... would think he's pretty close to fully baked, so if this is 'it', that's not a good sign. 

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,471 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:37 PM

Did we see Ferguson or Bowser do anything today?

#47 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,759 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:39 PM

They mentioned that Peanut wore the green dot the first 3 games. Then Jefferson last week and this week. Wonder how much getting gashed last week was on Jefferson. KC game, I chalk up to KC is gonna do that to everyone.
@BSLMikeRandall

#48 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,759 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:39 PM

Didn’t see Bowser. Ferguson I saw had a nice run stop late in the game.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#49 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

Was happy to see Hurst get 4 catches today.  Keep finding him. 

They've got to continue to work on finding ways to get Hill and Boykin more involved. 
Particularly Hill imo, as I think he's got the explosion to really open things up.   I'd be looking to put him and Hollywood on the field together more often. 

Agree on Hill.  I thought that he would be the change of pace, quick back while Edwards and Ingram bulldozed for yardage. I'm not sure why they're not utilizing him more but hopefully, we'll begin to see more of him as the season progresses.  I just hope it isn't one of Harbaugh's, "He's a rookie and has to earn reps" BS. 

#50 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

They mentioned that Peanut wore the green dot the first 3 games. Then Jefferson last week and this week. Wonder how much getting gashed last week was on Jefferson. KC game, I chalk up to KC is gonna do that to everyone.

Everyone has been down on Jefferson but I don't think losing him is a good thing. I was looking forward to the communication getting better once Jimmy Smith returned and now there's another hole to fill. I honestly think this defense is in trouble.

#51 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,470 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:24 PM

Jeff Z:

Tucker was not only 4-for-4 with the game-tying FG late in regulation and the game-winning one in OT, but how precise he was with kickoffs factored. Tucker was pleased to be asked about it after game. Said their kick coverage dominated.

Tomlin on why he kicked off in OT. Cited an underrated factor in today's game: "Did you see our kickoff return? Did you see their kickoff team? Every time, they put the ball about the 2-yard line and Tucker hung the ball at about 4.5 secs, and we couldn't get back to the 15."

Special teams are so underrated in this sport. The ravens being able to win that almost every week can’t be underestimated.
  • BSLChrisStoner, fishteacher, BSLMikeRandall and 1 other like this
@BSLRobShields

#52 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,470 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:28 PM

Everyone has been down on Jefferson but I don't think losing him is a good thing. I was looking forward to the communication getting better once Jimmy Smith returned and now there's another hole to fill. I honestly think this defense is in trouble.

Jefferson isn’t good.

Maybe in a different defense he would be.

I just read that PFF rated him as the 6th worst safety in the league heading into today.

When the Ravens signed him, PFF had him as a top 5 safety.

So, either his skills have eroded, the Ravens defense isn’t a fit for him or Arizona is simply better at developing him.

I don’t know what it is but he hasn’t been good here.

You miss experience and leadership but guys like Clark, Levine and Elliott know this defense as well as he does, so you shouldn’t lose on the experience/assignment aspect of things.

It’s just the leadership and you may not miss that too much.

He usually plays 100% of the snaps, so maybe a platoon type thing will be better anyway?

@BSLRobShields

#53 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,470 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:28 PM

I noticed Bowser drawing some double teams on the edge, which I thought was surprising.
@BSLRobShields

#54 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,470 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

Jeff Z:
Tucker was not only 4-for-4 with the game-tying FG late in regulation and the game-winning one in OT, but how precise he was with kickoffs factored. Tucker was pleased to be asked about it after game. Said their kick coverage dominated.
Tomlin on why he kicked off in OT. Cited an underrated factor in today's game: "Did you see our kickoff return? Did you see their kickoff team? Every time, they put the ball about the 2-yard line and Tucker hung the ball at about 4.5 secs, and we couldn't get back to the 15."
Special teams are so underrated in this sport. The ravens being able to win that almost every week can’t be underestimated.

To piggy back this.

We sometimes question some of the roster decisions out of camp but it’s important to note that the Ravens deserve a 100% benefit of the doubt when it comes to judging players ST abilities.

As fans, we overlook this but the team doesn’t and we should be happy about that.
  • DuffMan likes this
@BSLRobShields

#55 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,323 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:37 PM

I would do the high arcing kick off every time if the coverage continues to be that good.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#56 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,470 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:41 PM

I would do the high arcing kick off every time if the coverage continues to be that good.

I agree. Tucker is so good at that.

With touchbacks going to the 25, him being able to do that gives you 5-10 free yards.

It’s stuff like this that makes Tucker the best. Yes he kills it on FGs but there is more to this than that.
@BSLRobShields

#57 cprenegade

cprenegade

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:52 PM

I watched the game and thought the Ravens were lucky as hell to win.  The officiating was horrible, but it was horrible at times for both sides.  The int not being overturned was bad, but so was the roughing call on Jackson.  If that is roughing the passer than just do away with even rushing the QB at all.  You can't hit a QB high, you can't hit him low, and apparently now you can't hit him at the waist.  The Ravens took on a backup QB, got a 10 point lead, ended up facing a UFA who was cut and then brought back and assigned to the practice squad when the Steelers traded their third string QB.  And without a great play from Humphries, the Steelers might have won that game in OT.  I think the Ravens have been overrated by the local media by quite a lot.  They are every bit the definition of an average team, both offensively and defensively.  

I know it's tough to play in Pittsburgh, but this was a team with no AB, no Bell, and no Roethlisberger.  They are seriously challenged offensively at this point.  And yet both Mason Rudolph and this kid from Samford made some plays against a defense that looks more and more like a bottom of the league defense.  They will beat Cincy, but does anyone really think they have a chance in Seattle or back home against NE?  When I look at the rest of their schedule I can see 7 more losses.  I don't they lose all of those games, but I really only see 4 more games that I think should be easy wins.  Cincy 2x, Jets, and Pitsburgh at home.  Every other game will be a struggle.  They may try to bring in some help via a trade, but I wouldn't mortgage the future in terms of picks or cap space at this point.  I think that would be foolish.

As for the Earl Thomas play, the word from the media is it might be a 1 game suspension.  He is not a repeat offender but the league sent a message with the Burfict season long suspension that it was not going to tolerate helmet to helmet contact.  Not issuing a suspension on a hit that left a QB motionless wouldn't look good.  If they suspend him this week, I wouldn't appeal it.  He is not likely to be missed all that much against Cincy at home.  They aren't beating Seattle out there, but why make it harder.  You never win the appeal so just serve it and move on.  That's if it ends up with a suspension.  

Finally, Pittsburgh defensively looked like they followed the blueprint that KC and Cleveland used against the Ravens offense.  After the 10 point lead the offense looked very ordinary.  Jackson still is erratic with some of his passes and Pittsburgh looked like their goal was simply to contain him and limit big plays.  The running game was nothing spectacular today, neither was the passing game.  It was good enough to beat a team with it's own offensive problems, but it's not going to be good enough to beat teams like Seattle, NE, and LA down the road.  

• russsnyder likes this

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,471 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:58 PM

As for the Earl Thomas play, the word from the media is it might be a 1 game suspension.  He is not a repeat offender but the league sent a message with the Burfict season long suspension that it was not going to tolerate helmet to helmet contact.  Not issuing a suspension on a hit that left a QB motionless wouldn't look good.  If they suspend him this week, I wouldn't appeal it.  He is not likely to be missed all that much against Cincy at home.  They aren't beating Seattle out there, but why make it harder.  You never win the appeal so just serve it and move on.  That's if it ends up with a suspension.  

ESPN: 

The hit that knocked out Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph was called properly on the field as roughing the passer on Ravens safety Earl Thomas. The real question is whether Thomas should have been ejected. In this case, two of the keys that officials look for -- a defender lowering his head and/or "lining up" the quarterback -- didn't occur. It's worth noting that NFL senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron had the authority to eject Thomas from the Command Center in NYC, but declined.

• fishteacher and cprenegade like this

#59 cprenegade

cprenegade

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:58 PM

Jeff Z:

Actually I thought it was a good decision by Tomlin.  I've seen Belichick do it as well.  The thought is that if you hold the opposing team, which they did, you can win the game with a FG, which they might have done without the Humphries play.  If you get the ball first, you can only win with a TD.  Now you have to have faith in your defense to do that, but their defense actually played pretty well most of the day.  They were pushing the Raven's OL around and had done a fairly good job containing Jackson.  I didn't think either team was a good bet to put together a long drive ending in a TD so why not get the ball second and maybe have a chance to win the game with a FG.  

#60 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,470 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:01 PM

No way the Thomas play should be a suspension.

It was accidental contact. He didn’t lead with it..it wasn’t intentional.

Pitts defense isn’t bad, their Oline is good and they are desperate.

This game likely isn’t that close with the 2 terrible non calls and the lack of calling DPI on the INT to Andrews.

The concern from today is Jackson. He was terrible.

He has been bad for 10 of the last 12 quarters and didn’t do much in OT either.

They need to get him and the offense fixed.

The defense wasn’t bad today. Pitt has 270ish yards, didn’t run it that well and they were 3-9 on third down.

This was only a game today because of poor officiating and Lamar playing poorly.

If you are worried about the game today, you are worried about Lamar going forward.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners