Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:56 PM

This is good news, IMO.

If the Orioles were smart, I would kick the Nationals asses off MASN and add in a lot of Ravens programs.

• DuffMan likes this
@mikeghg

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:44 PM

If the Orioles were smart, I would kick the Nationals asses off MASN and add in a lot of Ravens programs.

I don't understand why you would want to crush the value of the network.

Why would you have to dump the Nationals to show more or better programming?  They could do more/better any time they wanted....what's stopping them?

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,172 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:55 AM

I mean, you can make MASN permanently MASN Baltimore (or MASNMD or MASN Chesapeake or something) and MASN 2 into MASN Washington (or MASNDC or MASN Potomac or something), with the former getting the real attention.

@DJ_McCann

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:45 AM

Is it smart to light money on fire?

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

Is it smart to light money on fire?

No, but their existence irks me. The Nationals and MLB cut a deal with PGA, and he gave a significant share of his market to them. IMO, MLB and DC have not lived up to the deal. Screw them both. If the roles were reversed, Baltimore would not have been given the same consideration that DC has been given.
BTW, it wasn't until this week, that I realized, I was a Dodger fan. :-P
@mikeghg

#7 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:49 AM

No, but their existence irks me. The Nationals and MLB cut a deal with PGA, and he gave a significant share of his market to them. IMO, MLB and DC have not lived up to the deal. Screw them both. If the roles were reversed, Baltimore would not have been given the same consideration that DC has been given.
BTW, it wasn't until this week, that I realized, I was a Dodger fan. :-P

In my estimation, the Lerners agreed to the deal, just to get their foot in the door. I'm absolutely certain they had a plan all along, to buck up against their arrangement, when the time was right. They knew they just needed to wait out Bud's time as Commish. And that's essentially what they did.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#8 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:52 AM

I mean, you can make MASN permanently MASN Baltimore (or MASNMD or MASN Chesapeake or something) and MASN 2 into MASN Washington (or MASNDC or MASN Potomac or something), with the former getting the real attention.

Great idea, in principle. But I think the Caps, Wiz and Redskins have contracts with Comcast. The DC version of MASN would have a hard time getting programing for any of those teams. 

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:20 AM

In my estimation, the Lerners agreed to the deal, just to get their foot in the door. I'm absolutely certain they had a plan all along, to buck up against their arrangement, when the time was right. They knew they just needed to wait out Bud's time as Commish. And that's essentially what they did. 

I agree with this.  I think that Nats have intended all along for MASN to go bankrupt and for the deal to become void, freeing them up to take a larger rights fees from some other network.

#10 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

No, but their existence irks me. The Nationals and MLB cut a deal with PGA, and he gave a significant share of his market to them. IMO, MLB and DC have not lived up to the deal. 

I honestly don't know what you're looking at.  

The Nationals are carrying the incompetence of the Orioles financially.

From 2012 to 2016 the Orioles received somewhere between 360 and 425M in fees and profits.

Prior to MASN, the Orioles were getting 20-30M per year in their rights fees.  They received 75M from MLB and the Nats to start MASN..

#11 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:58 AM

OK, back to the article....

----------------

Whenever I hear the Orioles try and discuss attendance, I always think of this line from Dodgeball

Interestingly, when I read Amanda Yeager's article a couple days ago, there was another article she wrote titled "Orioles attendance not as bad as some other teams."  That made me laugh.  Apparently it made others laugh too because it looks like they backed out of that one and re-titled it "Yes, the Orioles home attendance was really that bad." 

Classic.

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,978 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:26 PM

This is good news, IMO.

That's smart? Um, okay.

For the record, MASN at one time had Ravens programming, including live preseason games. They ditched it because it brought no value to the network.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

That's smart? Um, okay.

For the record, MASN at one time had Ravens programming, including live preseason games. They ditched it because it brought no value to the network.

I find that hard to believe. I say that because football is such an obsession. When I lived in NoVA, there were countless Redskins shows on, all year long. One friend, who was an avid fan, joked that, if they filmed a team bathroom visit, the ratings would soar.

The idea that MASN couldn't profit from Ravens programming just seems questionable. What's more believable is that Peter's animosity for the Ravens invading his one sport town, was so consuming, that he was willing to forego profitable programming, just to limit their accessibility to the public, and vice versa. 

• Mike B and Steve55 like this

#14 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:12 AM

I find that hard to believe. I say that because football is such an obsession. When I lived in NoVA, there were countless Redskins shows on, all year long. One friend, who was an avid fan, joked that, if they filmed a team bathroom visit, the ratings would soar.

The idea that MASN couldn't profit from Ravens programming just seems questionable. What's more believable is that Peter's animosity for the Ravens invading his one sport town, was so consuming, that he was willing to forego profitable programming, just to limit their accessibility to the public, and vice versa. 

Yup, he saw all those business connections just for the O's were going to be split up. He also knew the NFL was becoming a monster.

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,428 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:16 PM

https://twitter.com/...4487997440?s=20

@BSLRobShields

#16 PD24

PD24

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

I just think the times have changed so much. When I was growing up in Baltimore, even though the team wasn't good during my formative years (I was born in 1990 so I remember 1997 but didn't really start going until the early 2000's), it still felt like baseball was an event. Even like in 2004, 2005, the team was bad but people were still going to the games. Weekend games were pretty sold out, etc. 

It's changed so much with smart phones, hi-def TV's, etc. And we've seen that with the Ravens too. Ravens fans are coming back because the team is way more exciting now but the biggest reason is there are only 8 regular season home games. For baseball it's just so tough to create that sense of urgency with 81 home games. I don't think it's because the Orioles are bad the last 2 years. I just think it's a sign of the times. Plus, the negative publicity the city has gotten the past 5 years isn't easy. People don't look at going downtown the same. It's not an all day event to go downtown, chill at Hooters or at another bar, and go to a game. 

So in short, I'm very concerned, but not so much just with the O's but with live baseball in general. 

@PeterDiLutis

#17 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:55 PM

https://twitter.com/...4487997440?s=20

That's interesting and says something (good) about "winning the offseason".

They have the Orioles up 2% but the Nationals down 9%...I wonder if that accounts for the overall MASN viewership being down this year (what was reported previously).  I also wonder if that accounts for the entire market or they're just breaking out regions inside of the full area.

#18 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:56 PM

For baseball it's just so tough to create that sense of urgency with 81 home games. I don't think it's because the Orioles are bad the last 2 years. I just think it's a sign of the times. Plus, the negative publicity the city has gotten the past 5 years isn't easy. People don't look at going downtown the same. It's not an all day event to go downtown, chill at Hooters or at another bar, and go to a game. 

So in short, I'm very concerned, but not so much just with the O's but with live baseball in general. 

You can't do much about Baseball in general (that's a larger discussion), the Orioles can certainly do something about the impact in their market.

...are they doing anything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners