24 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,756 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:15 PM

I think anything officially coming from the NCAA would have to have some sort of Title 9 considerations.  I don't know if Title 9 insists on equal shares of everything or if it can be adjusted for relative revenues.

Things that are earned outside of the NCAA or school - such as the example of an autograph signing at a local car dealership - I would think would not have to be equally offered to everyone.  That's an individual thing from an outside entity.

That said, I've got no idea exactly how Title 9 works, so entirely possible there are major complications which would make this exceedingly difficult.

#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,448 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:54 PM

I don't know if Title IX applies to THIS law, because it is based on the athlete themselves earning on their likeness. I mean, if a school is selling jerseys that feature the name/number of a star quarterback or point guard, they should be the ones getting that money (or at least a major share of it), not the men's wrestling or women's field hockey teams. 

@DJ_McCann

#23 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:43 PM

Man, if you think it's crazy now, wait until college becomes free.

• DJ MC likes this

#24 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

BTW I'm thankful that nobody's come in here with the "the players do get paid! IT'S CALLED A SCHOLARSHIP!" defense. Kudos.

• Ricker Says likes this

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:21 PM

I don't know if Title IX applies to THIS law, because it is based on the athlete themselves earning on their likeness. I mean, if a school is selling jerseys that feature the name/number of a star quarterback or point guard, they should be the ones getting that money (or at least a major share of it), not the men's wrestling or women's field hockey teams. 

Exactly...and if the captain of the women's volleyball team happens to be popular enough that people want to buy up her jersey and pay to get her autograph on it, nothing should stand in her way of earning proceeds from that any more than the starting QB on the football team.

• DJ MC likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners