BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,687 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:40 AM

Jeff Z:

Martindale reminded reporters that the Ravens lead league in QB hits, but Tim Williams And Tyus Bowser “need to join the party.”

Martindale acknowledged Pernell McPhee is having to play too many snaps. Said McPhee is feeling great, but they want to make sure that’s still the case in December.

Bowser and Williams are playing for their jobs.

Shit or get off the pot.
@BSLRobShields

#22 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:45 AM

Last week you give Bowser 13, Williams 13 and Ferguson 9 reps. Give them to a guy, if he doesn't do his job, give a majority to someone else. But you also gotta let these guys play a bit.

This is what Filmstudy said about Bowser, my bolded for emphasis. 

Tyus Bowser (11 snaps) was conspicuously absent despite some contributions in limited snaps.  He had a pressure and partially deflected a ball that then settled into the hands of Hardman (Q2, 10:02) who outraced the defense to the other side of the field for a gain of 14.  After playing 40 of the team’s first 100 non-penalty snaps vs the Dolphins and Cardinals, he played just 18% vs the Chiefs. 

At some point, you gotta let them play if you're going to be bemoan them. And if they can't do it, then cut them. Or make a trade. But motivating guys through the media and then not letting them get reps is kind of the definition of bad management if you ask me. 

You tell everyone inside and outside the org, these guys need to do better. And then you give them limited opportunities (who knows situationally what advantage they had either) and say you needed to do better. 

Agreed, show out or go away. But maybe they should inactivate one or two of them and let them rotate and fight for the chance with real reps.

Would Ferguson even have gotten reps if Trawick was healthy? Probably not...so why is he even getting such limited reps. And sure, you can't tell much from 9 plays but 18.1 YPP when he was in the game. Eesh. 

#23 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,687 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

Obviously, the coaching staff has a vendetta against them and just doesn’t want to play them!
@BSLRobShields

#24 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:06 AM

Obviously, the coaching staff has a vendetta against them and just doesn’t want to play them!

Sarcasm, I know. But some guys just aren't practice players. You can't play guys less than 15 snaps, then complain because they didn't produce. At this point you need to just throw Bowser and Williams out there and let them sink or swim.

#25 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,687 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:43 AM

Sarcasm, I know. But some guys just aren't practice players. You can't play guys less than 15 snaps, then complain because they didn't produce. At this point you need to just throw Bowser and Williams out there and let them sink or swim.

The coaching staff is telling you that if do that, you will lose games.

They aren’t ready to do that yet.

These guys have been here for several years. If they aren’t showing they can produce, understand the defense, etc...that’s on them, not the team.

Now, I wouldn’t hate it if they played them more and I’m not suggesting otherwise.

But this isn’t baseball. Baseball is pretty obvious to tell who does and doesn’t belong. You are spotlighted very easily.

In football, you can’t tell if guys are doing their jobs except the ones highlighted on the broadcasts every week.

So, you have to rely on game tape, coaching and practice. None of us are qualified enough to say if this player or that player should be playing more.

Sure, we can throw out the cliches and act as if we know..but no one does.
@BSLRobShields

#26 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:29 PM

Well splitting their snaps isn't a solution...all I'm saying is let one guy have some more snaps in a game. It literally cannot get worse. What they are doing right now with them isn't working. Be adapatable.

If none of them work or you've already decided they can't work. Make a trade. 

Ferguson getting 9 snaps last week made zero sense to me. I'd much rather have given all 35 snaps to one guy and if he didn't show, bench him and move on to the next guy. 

#27 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,687 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:54 PM

Andrews missing practice for 2nd straight day.

Part of me wants him to be inactive just to force Lamar to look at other targets.
@BSLRobShields

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,750 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:01 PM

Balt Sun: Ravens vs. Browns scouting report for Week 4: Who has the edge?

#29 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:58 PM

There may be a simple answer to the Williams and Bowser issue.....maybe they just aren't that good.  Looking good in camp, or in pre-season is a lot different than looking good in live action.   If they aren't getting playing time it's because when they get it they aren't doing anything positive.  And maybe that's just because they aren't that good.  There are plenty of draft busts from every team in the league and maybe these guys are destined to be just that...busts.  

#30 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:41 PM

There may be a simple answer to the Williams and Bowser issue.....maybe they just aren't that good. Looking good in camp, or in pre-season is a lot different than looking good in live action. If they aren't getting playing time it's because when they get it they aren't doing anything positive. And maybe that's just because they aren't that good. There are plenty of draft busts from every team in the league and maybe these guys are destined to be just that...busts.

That seems to be what is going on. Even still, you can't not play guys and then complain because they didn't produce. That's like pulling a pitcher after one inning and then complaining because he didn't get you deeper into the game.
  • BSLJordanKough likes this

#31 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:44 PM

The coaching staff is telling you that if do that, you will lose games.

They aren’t ready to do that yet.

These guys have been here for several years. If they aren’t showing they can produce, understand the defense, etc...that’s on them, not the team.

Now, I wouldn’t hate it if they played them more and I’m not suggesting otherwise.

But this isn’t baseball. Baseball is pretty obvious to tell who does and doesn’t belong. You are spotlighted very easily.

In football, you can’t tell if guys are doing their jobs except the ones highlighted on the broadcasts every week.

So, you have to rely on game tape, coaching and practice. None of us are qualified enough to say if this player or that player should be playing more.

Sure, we can throw out the cliches and act as if we know..but no one does.

My main point is, Harbaugh can't only throw them out there for an eighth of the game, then complain because they aren't producing. You could run Von Miller out there and only give him 10 snaps and he wouldn't give you favorable results most of the time

#32 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,687 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:03 AM

Andrews is practicing today.

Brown had been held out of Friday practices so far but he is out there today.

Smith, Olaka and Trawick are out for Sunday.

@BSLRobShields

#33 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:41 AM

My main point is, Harbaugh can't only throw them out there for an eighth of the game, then complain because they aren't producing. You could run Von Miller out there and only give him 10 snaps and he wouldn't give you favorable results most of the time

Yup, give one guy all 35 snaps and if he doesn't do anything make him inactive the next game...

Also, make a trade for someone better if you think thy are busts. The options aren't those guys need to play better in 15 snaps or less or we fail. 

And at the same time, Tony Jefferson gets every single snap in the Chiefs game and we all continue to gripe about busted coverages. 

#34 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,687 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:53 AM

Cleveland has a lot of key guys either likely out or guys that won't be anywhere close to 100%.

@BSLRobShields

#35 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,687 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:58 AM

Andrews is expected to play according to Harbaugh.

Still want to see more Hurst, Boykin, Snead and Hill.  Its imperative to get these guys involved.

@BSLRobShields

#36 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

I'm interested to see of Lamar's accuracy settles a little. I think he got amped up because of the atmosphere on the road and things really sped up again. Some of the mechanics and throws took a step back in that game. He definitely sailed a few throws early. There should be opportunities in the passing game as you mention with the injuries, can we take advantage. 

Get back to forcing teams to the LOS to defend the run and then using play action to open up passing lanes for Lamar. 

#37 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

Would be nice to see them without their two starting CBs and top safety again, though it didn't seem to make a tremendous difference against the Rams.

@Bmore_Irish

#38 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,729 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:32 PM

Would be nice to see them without their two starting CBs and top safety again, though it didn't seem to make a tremendous difference against the Rams.

That's because Goff and that offense is struggling.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#39 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:15 PM

Goff is also worse than Roethlesberger in terms of his home/road splits, too. 

#40 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,687 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

For the Browns, OT Kendall Lamm (knee) is out. Starting CBs Denzel Ward (hamstring) and Greedy Williams (hamstring) are questionable, as are S Morgan Burnett (quad), WR Rashard Higgins (knee), starting RT Chris Hubbard (foot) and S Sheldrick Redwine (hamstring).

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners