Photo

MOCO Fooball: Week 9 Playoff Points - (Through Week 5)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 BigRed

BigRed
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:00 PM

They take the top eight from each classification correct? 

from the region they take top 8

#22 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

from the region they take top 8

Some of those bottom level teams will get their doors blown off!

#23 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:49 PM

Some of those bottom level teams will get their doors blown off!

It’s ridiculous to have 3-6 and 4-5 teams qualify for anything called the playoffs, much less 1-8 (3 are projected to qualify) and 2-7 (6 projected to qualify) teams reach post-season play.
@aka_themamba

#24 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:54 PM

It’s ridiculous to have 3-6 and 4-5 teams qualify for anything called the playoffs, much less 1-8 (3 are projected to qualify) and 2-7 (6 projected to qualify) teams reach post-season play.

Those games will be over by half time, when they start the running clocks.

#25 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

This feels like they are appeasing one county (Montgomery) by adding all these team. 

#26 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

This feels like they are appeasing one county (Montgomery) by adding all these team.

Montgomery and Frederick, because a couple 8-2 and 7-3 teams didn’t make it. The expansion is asinine. Projections have 57 teams with 5 wins or less in the playoffs, including 37 with losing records.
  • BigRed likes this
@aka_themamba

#27 BigRed

BigRed
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:47 PM

Montgomery and Frederick, because a couple 8-2 and 7-3 teams didn’t make it. The expansion is asinine. Projections have 57 teams with 5 wins or less in the playoffs, including 37 with losing records.

While it wasn't always good having the presumptive state championship happening in the region final(Damascus v Walkersville 2017), this new format wasn't the way to go. Unfortunately there isn't really ever going to be a perfect format for the playoffs but the last one was probably better than this one. Like people have already alluded to, these 1st round and possibly 2nd round games are going to be terrible while also unsafe for some of these teams. QO v Cburg, Wise v Bladensburg, Douglass v Patuxent, just to name a few. Even with this new format, good teams aren't guaranteed to go into even the quarterfinals(2A West, 2A South, 3A South, etc). You don't see HoCo or AaCo county teams complaining about how the lacrosse format should change(just for a different sport perspective). Bottom line is that this format isn't great at all but at least MoCo and FredCo teams are happy now I guess...

• BSLWillieSeanCoughlan likes this

#28 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:10 PM

Based on the data above, only one 5 seed is projected to go 7-2, Rockville, who’d only be 7-2 because of a forfeit win over Damascus in week 1. Only four are projected to go 6-3 (Sherwood, Whitman, Calvert, Wicomico), leaving 11 5 seeds at 5-4 or with a losing record. These are the teams they were fighting for. smh

I’ll certainly track these 64 additional teams to see how many win one/two playoff games this post-season.
  • BigRed likes this
@aka_themamba

#29 MaroonTiger

MaroonTiger
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 01:02 AM

They should use the Illinois model. Top 16 for each classification, then divide it by 2 brackets. I would even take 20 with 4 teams getting a bye. the cost for travel isn't that much. The state isn't even that big. 

#30 SaintBull

SaintBull
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:43 AM

They should use the Illinois model. Top 16 for each classification, then divide it by 2 brackets. I would even take 20 with 4 teams getting a bye. the cost for travel isn't that much. The state isn't even that big.

Agree

#31 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:54 AM

I just realized that in the 1A South, a team may make the playoffs with a record of 0 and 9. Now that just CRAZY!!!!!

#32 Ojielo

Ojielo
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:45 PM

Is a 7-2 Dulaney better than a 2-7 Springbrook?

#33 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:21 PM

Springbrook plays stronger teams, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

#34 HY3:13

HY3:13
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:39 AM

Many factors at play here including one less home game for half the teams in the state (9 game schedules = half state with 4 home games instead of 5). Depending on the school/county, home football games are huge revenue generators for school's athletic programs. Is it possible that week 10, which is now playoff round 1 will attract more fans? maybe, but remember also that ALL playoff ticket proceeds go to the MPSSAA and NOT the host school. Perhaps that factored into this decision as well. Just playing devil's advocate. Bottom line is that no system will please everyone, but I think the system we just moved away from made the most sense. Perfect scenario would be to seed 1-16 in each class, but our school systems are too cheap to support travel, even though the absolute longest road trip in this state would be what??3 hours from eastern shore to western MD? 

#35 Ojielo

Ojielo
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:18 AM

I agree HY...under the old system, regardless of the seedings, the best Two teams usually met somewhere in the playoffs.

#36 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

7 of the 16 #4 v #5 seed projections would be rematches of regular season games, including 4 in week 9, the regular season finale - Old Mill v Annapolis, Eleanor Roosevelt v Bowie, Blake v Rockville, and Southern G v Northern G. It’s conceivable that at least 13 of the 16 could be rematches of regular season games between marginal teams, using a 1 game variation of the projections.
@aka_themamba

#37 HY3:13

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

I think the first round is going to be a bloodbath this year, and many teams who have never tasted playoff football are going to get humbled and or embarrassed by the perennial powers in each class. It will be a harsh reality. Like I said earlier, sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for! 

#38 SaintBull

SaintBull
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:02 AM

In some cases yes, definitely.  But also there could be some 5 or 6 seeds that make a little run that wouldn't have had that opportunity in the old system.  Full disclosure, I am still a proponent for simply taking top 16 from each class but trying to see the positives along with the negatives in the current system. 

#39 HY3:13

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:43 PM

agreed, lets see what those 5th and 6th seeds, who are normally left out can do. For true HS football fans its an extra week of playoff FB so that's also a positive, and you have to think there will be at least one #8 seed that pulls the 1 vs 8 upset.

#40 standeeman

standeeman
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:27 AM

MOCO Football: Week 4

http://mocofb.com/th...layoff-points-4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners