#1 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,427 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:34 AM

Preseason games have become more and more meaningless.  Players aren't playing as much and quite frankly, the Ravens should have won their first 2 games

But this was basically it in terms of "easy" games until maybe the 49ers and Jets games in December.

While injuries may make some games easier than others (Big Ben for example), they will still be tough games.  We have 6 division games, KC, NE, LAR and Houston.

Its a tough road ahead.  The good news is that the division is struggling right now, Lamar looks great and they are looking like a team that will be tough to handle.

My early season issues are the secondary communication, inconsistent Oline play and I didn't like that they were throwing it so much yesterday.  I hope they don't try to force the idea that Lamar can throw and go away from the run.  They need to run the ball and keep up with it.  Lamar had several runs yesterday that were called pass plays.  

I assume the secondary will stabilize, especially as Thomas learns and plays on the defense more and you get Smith back.  I also assume Averett will get better as he plays more but he looks rough so far.

I also think the Oline will play better. This goes back to my preseason comment.  Stanley and Yanda didn't really play in the preseason (Yanda didn't even practice a lot).  He will get better (not saying he is playing bad, just that he will get better) and Stanley will as well.  Skura kind of is who he is and Brown, despite some penalties yesterday, has seemingly played well.  The LG is the issue but I think Bozeman has been serviceable so far and you figure he gets better with more time out there.

Team has to avoid injuries to some key guys (Yanda, Stanley, Humphrey stand out) but outside of that, I am looking forward to seeing how this team starts playing now that the schedule gets tough.  

@BSLRobShields

#2 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 541 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:20 AM

All teams are suffering injuries. Haven't heard a peep from any of the media about, yeah they should play some more in the preseason.

#3 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,846 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:18 PM

Do the Ravens look to trade a pick for some secondary help?

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,427 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:43 PM

Do the Ravens look to trade a pick for some secondary help?

They should be inquiring about Minkah.  I am not sure if anyone will give them a first rounder or not but if I am the Ravens, I am giving a 2 and 4 without hesitation.

I would do that regardless of the secondary situation.

@BSLRobShields

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

Maybe it is just me, but I hate the pre-season is over chacterization.  Miami is awful, but the Ravens executed perfectly in that game.

After watching Arizona, live, I think they maybe better than what people think.  The Ravenjs had a chance to put the game away in the first half and had an awful series. 

The Cardinals for the second week in a row rallied, but the Ravens made plays when they had to, and won.

IMO, no need to discount each win, especially if you are going to magnify each loss.  

A lot of good things going on in Ravens Nation.  Enjoy, don't go looking for trouble.  It will find us.

• DuffMan likes this
@mikeghg

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

Preseason games have become more and more meaningless.  Players aren't playing as much and quite frankly, the Ravens should have won their first 2 games

But this was basically it in terms of "easy" games until maybe the 49ers and Jets games in December.

While injuries may make some games easier than others (Big Ben for example), they will still be tough games.  We have 6 division games, KC, NE, LAR and Houston.

Its a tough road ahead.  The good news is that the division is struggling right now, Lamar looks great and they are looking like a team that will be tough to handle.

My early season issues are the secondary communication, inconsistent Oline play and I didn't like that they were throwing it so much yesterday.  I hope they don't try to force the idea that Lamar can throw and go away from the run.  They need to run the ball and keep up with it.  Lamar had several runs yesterday that were called pass plays.  

I assume the secondary will stabilize, especially as Thomas learns and plays on the defense more and you get Smith back.  I also assume Averett will get better as he plays more but he looks rough so far.

I also think the Oline will play better. This goes back to my preseason comment.  Stanley and Yanda didn't really play in the preseason (Yanda didn't even practice a lot).  He will get better (not saying he is playing bad, just that he will get better) and Stanley will as well.  Skura kind of is who he is and Brown, despite some penalties yesterday, has seemingly played well.  The LG is the issue but I think Bozeman has been serviceable so far and you figure he gets better with more time out there.

Team has to avoid injuries to some key guys (Yanda, Stanley, Humphrey stand out) but outside of that, I am looking forward to seeing how this team starts playing now that the schedule gets tough.  

Averett is actually covering okay, please learn to turn and look for the ball.

@mikeghg

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,427 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

It doesn't matter if Zona is better than we think they are.  No way the Ravens had any business losing that game if they fancy themselves a legit contender.

@BSLRobShields

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

It doesn't matter if Zona is better than we think they are.  No way the Ravens had any business losing that game if they fancy themselves a legit contender.

Games like this are what sports is about.  Upsets happen, but this one didn't.  It certainly matters, if the team you are playing is better than advertised.

@mikeghg

#9 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:32 PM

Lamar has injected some excitement into the offense, but if the Ravens are going to topple KC at Arrowhead, they need the defense to play MUCH better than they did vs. the Cardinals.  I expect Lamar and the offense will put up points, but unless the defense steps up, KC will put up more.

#10 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 230 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:21 AM

Lamar has injected some excitement into the offense, but if the Ravens are going to topple KC at Arrowhead, they need the defense to play MUCH better than they did vs. the Cardinals.  I expect Lamar and the offense will put up points, but unless the defense steps up, KC will put up more.

Here's hoping the D, like Rob, considered these games preseason and have been looking ahead to KC and the Browns. 

#11 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:14 AM

I've definitely got questions about the secondary after the Cardinals game. They seem like they've got a ways to go in terms of becoming a cohesive unit, and that sure isn't ideal heading into KC. Injuries likely have played a role, but for each instance of busted coverage resulting in a wide open receiver, there was another where they should've been able to make a play on the ball and didn't. And it's not like Arizona has a particularly dangerous receiving corps either.

Hopefully they're able to use this tape as a valuable learning tool. Kyler may have a bright future in the league, but it's time to step up to the MVP this week.

@Bmore_Irish

#12 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,683 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:26 AM

I've definitely got questions about the secondary after the Cardinals game. They seem like they've got a ways to go in terms of becoming a cohesive unit, and that sure isn't ideal heading into KC. Injuries likely have played a role, but for each instance of busted coverage resulting in a wide open receiver, there was another where they should've been able to make a play on the ball and didn't. And it's not like Arizona has a particularly dangerous receiving corps either.

Hopefully they're able to use this tape as a valuable learning tool. Kyler may have a bright future in the league, but it's time to step up to the MVP this week.

Fitz is a HOFer, Kirk is legit and don't forget about Crabtree and Maxxxxx Williams! ;)

But I agree. We're lucky KK was a puss in the red zone.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:15 AM

Fitz is a HOFer, Kirk is legit and don't forget about Crabtree and Maxxxxx Williams! ;)

But I agree. We're lucky KK was a puss in the red zone.

I thought KK threw the ball a lot in the red zone.  They abandoned the run.  I thought the Ravens coverage in the Red Zone was better.

@mikeghg

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,427 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:17 AM

I thought KK threw the ball a lot in the red zone. They abandoned the run. I thought the Ravens coverage in the Red Zone was better.

Yea but he had 4th and shorts inside the 10 yard line 3 times and took FGs instead of going for it.
@BSLRobShields

#15 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,683 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:31 AM

I thought KK threw the ball a lot in the red zone.  They abandoned the run.  I thought the Ravens coverage in the Red Zone was better.

I'm talking about taking FGs as opposed to going for it.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:55 AM

I'm talking about taking FGs as opposed to going for it.

@mikeghg

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,427 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 September 2019 - 10:52 AM

0-2.

Very decent chance that you need to win the next weeks to have a good shot at winning the division.

If you go 1-1, you are 3-3 heading into your stretch that includes NE, Hou, LAR and Seattle (this also includes 2 west coast road trips).

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners