#1 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,433 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:44 AM

Interesting day in the division yesterday.

No one is talking about Cinci and everyone assumes they are going to suck but for them to almost win in Seattle yesterday, without Green, was one of the more impressive performances of the day.  They have some good pass rushers.  Ross finally looked like a top 10 pick yesterday (although its just one game, so we need to see more), Mixon is really good and they will get Green back.  Plus, Dalton is a capable guy.  They gave up 5 sacks and that line isn't going to be good but maybe Cinci will be a better team than people have given them credit for.

Pitt looked terrible.  All the talk about how good JuJu is, how much of that was because of Brown?  How much of a drop off exists from Bell, Brown and JuJu to Conner, JuJu and Moncreif/Washington and will that drop off make them easier to defend?  People believe their defense will be better.  Its young and fast but the secondary still blows.  Haden isn't close to what he was and he's their best guy back there.

Cleveland should rebound ok and they are talented but can a collection of talent mold together and become a good team?  And is Kitchens the right guy for them?  Tough to say but they have a difficult opening schedule and if things go downhill early, what will that do to that locker room?

• russsnyder likes this
@BSLRobShields

#2 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:36 AM

No one is talking about Cinci and everyone assumes they are going to suck but for them to almost win in Seattle yesterday, without Green, was one of the more impressive performances of the day.  They have some good pass rushers.  Ross finally looked like a top 10 pick yesterday (although its just one game, so we need to see more), Mixon is really good and they will get Green back.  Plus, Dalton is a capable guy.  They gave up 5 sacks and that line isn't going to be good but maybe Cinci will be a better team than people have given them credit for.

Pitt looked terrible.  All the talk about how good JuJu is, how much of that was because of Brown?  How much of a drop off exists from Bell, Brown and JuJu to Conner, JuJu and Moncreif/Washington and will that drop off make them easier to defend?  People believe their defense will be better.  Its young and fast but the secondary still blows.  Haden isn't close to what he was and he's their best guy back there.

Cleveland should rebound ok and they are talented but can a collection of talent mold together and become a good team?  And is Kitchens the right guy for them?  Tough to say but they have a difficult opening schedule and if things go downhill early, what will that do to that locker room?

Bengals will surprise a few teams; they're not real strong on paper, but are still a team as opposed to the stripped down Dolphins. Our guys job is to make sure they are not surprised by them.

Steelers are likely not as bad as they looked last night, but I think you are correct that Ju-Ju without that spectacular receiver/ egocentric guy on the other side cannot be as strong. They are a strong organization with good coaching; unless Ben is (finally) done, don't count them out.

I'm hoping for a Mayfield/OBJ spat in Cleveland.  That and even one more ugly loss could destroy that locker room and team. They may have read too much of their own hype coming into Week 1. Pretty sure that won't be repeated.

#3 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,324 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:48 AM

Bengals were a lot better than I expected, definitely a surprise for me. They didn't have any semblance of a rushing attack, but their passing game looks dangerous.

Pittsburgh looked awful. JuJu is not Antonio Brown and they clearly are going to take a step back on offense. Their secondary still looks mediocre at best. Overall, not much to think they will be better than 8-8.

Cleveland has an OL problem. I said it in the offseason, and it was obvious in week 1. Baker may be a very good QB, but even the best QBs require a decent OL. They also also got incredibly out-coached, undisciplined and couldn't handle the physicality of Tennessee.

@gabefergy

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,433 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:49 AM

Bengals were a lot better than I expected, definitely a surprise for me. They didn't have any semblance of a rushing attack, but their passing game looks dangerous.

Pittsburgh looked awful. JuJu is not Antonio Brown and they clearly are going to take a step back on offense. Their secondary still looks mediocre at best. Overall, not much to think they will be better than 8-8.

Cleveland has an OL problem. I said it in the offseason, and it was obvious in week 1. Baker may be a very good QB, but even the best QBs require a decent OL. They also also got incredibly out-coached, undisciplined and couldn't handle the physicality of Tennessee.

I still don't understand the Zeitler for Vernon deal.

@BSLRobShields

#5 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:58 PM

It looked like Moncreif dropped around 4 passes. Some were knocked out, but he's not going to make it in the slot for Ben. Its a good thing he cancelled his radio show. Moncreif would have been under the bus.

#6 cprenegade

cprenegade

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:52 PM

It's one game.  The biggest thing I think about yesterday is the Andy Dalton might benefit quite a bit from the changes in Cincy.  He looked pretty good.  Otherwise, Pittsburgh looked pretty bad, but they always do in New England.  How they rebound this week will say a lot.  Cleveland's roster is loaded but they still have to prove it on the field.  Overall, yesterday wasn't much different than last year's week 1.  Baltimore posted the most lopsided score beating Buffalo 47-3.  Pittsburgh looked terrible blowing a 14 point lead to Cleveland and people thought they were going to struggle without Bell.  Cincinnati looked better than expected beating the Colts in Indianapolis.  By weeks 4-5 we'll have a better idea if what we saw yesterday is the shape of the season or just erratic first week play.  

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,433 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:40 AM

Cinci looked terrible yesterday.  They couldn't stop the 49ers and can't run the ball.

Pitt is likely to lose Ben for a while(at least it sounds like it) and maybe even Connor will miss time now.  They are traveling to SF this week, which isn't going to be easy.  0-3 is very possible for them.

We will see what happens to Cleveland tonight.  They figure to beat the Jets tonight.  Right now, they are looking like the most likely team to contend with us in the division but obviously, its very early and things can change quickly.

@BSLRobShields

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,433 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

Cinci looked terrible yesterday.  They couldn't stop the 49ers and can't run the ball.

Pitt is likely to lose Ben for a while(at least it sounds like it) and maybe even Connor will miss time now.  They are traveling to SF this week, which isn't going to be easy.  0-3 is very possible for them.

We will see what happens to Cleveland tonight.  They figure to beat the Jets tonight.  Right now, they are looking like the most likely team to contend with us in the division but obviously, its very early and things can change quickly.

Done for the year.  Having surgery.

@BSLRobShields

#9 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 541 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:17 AM

Done for the year.  Having surgery.

Just saw elbow surgery. Not saying so far what. Heard someone say could be Tommy John surgery which usually is a year and a half for a pitcher. And he just signed that extension.

#10 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:46 PM

Cinci got smoked at home.  I don't think they will have a winning season.

Steelers without Ben are not likely to win the division, but I think Rudolph will give them 75-80% of what they were going to get out of the 2019 version of Ben.  They've beaten the Ravens with Ben's backup QBs before.

Browns may be the Ravens toughest competition now.  They have a lot of talent,  Too much to lose to the injury-riddled Jets. If they can get it together, they could be formidable, but I don't think Kitchens will be able to manage it.

#11 cprenegade

cprenegade

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

Kind of ironic that it was week two when the Steelers lost their starting QB and a then rookie, Ben Roethlisberger, was forced to start.  He didn't lose a game until the AFC championship against New England.  I can't see lightning striking twice, although I have always liked his backup, Mason Rudolph.  I really thought that either New England or the Ravens would target him in the second round of that draft.  It will be interesting to see what he can do.  

#12 hallas

hallas
  • Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:06 PM

Steelers trading a first rounder for Fitzpatrick makes no sense given that they pulled the trigger after Rapistburger was confirmed out for the year.

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,433 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:02 AM

It seems safe to say this is going to come down to Baltimore vs Cle. You never know with Pitt but I think its more likely that they are done and that we can focus on Cle.

Right now, the Browns are 2-3 and heading into a tough part of the schedule.

They have Seattle at home, then a bye and then at NE. I really think we need them to lose both of those games.

After those 2 games, this is the remaining schedule:

@Den
Buffalo
Pitt (Thurs)
Miami
@Pitt
Cinci
@Arz
Ravens
@Cinci

Suffice it to say that their schedule gets easy as the season goes on. They have some potential tricky games in there bt they should be favored to win most or all of those games.

The 2 toughest games on their schedule are the next 2 weeks. You figure they lose at NE but if they beat Seattle this week, that puts them in good shape going forward.

Like the Browns, the Ravens play Seattle and NE in back to back weeks with a bye in between.

Those 2 games are bookended by both cinci games.

I really think the Ravens need to win both Cinci games and then they have to beat Pitt at home. Those 3 games combined with a win vs the Jets gives them 7 wins.

They will then need to win at least 2 games vs Houston, Buff, SF, Cle, Ne, Sea and the Rams.

3 of those 7 are at home.
@BSLRobShields

#14 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,324 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:05 AM

I think 9-7 wins this division, and the Ravens are most likely going to have win in Cleveland wk 16 to make the playoffs.

@gabefergy

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,433 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

I think 9-7 wins this division, and the Ravens are most likely going to have win in Cleveland wk 16 to make the playoffs.

I think this is the most likely scenario as well.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners