• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,731 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:24 PM

The Ravens home opener is against Arizona, who came back to tie Detroit today. 

https://www.espn.com...ameId=401127999

Suggs gets to visit his old team.

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,449 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:27 PM

Arizona gets a tie, after being down double digits in the second half, in Week 1.

#3 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:16 AM

We got our FCS opening cupcake out of the way. Let's see this offense against an NFL caliber defense.

Arizona isn't great, but they aren't bad either. Should be a good barometer on where we are as a team. A deep playoff caliber team wins this week by two scores.

I think Arizona moves the ball on us more than we'll like to see. Need to keep those drives to 3 pointers. Our offense should be able to move the ball again. If we go out and dominate again, I'll be really happy. But remain cautiously optimistic. KC is the real start to the season. A true contender is going into KC 2-0. Let's see where the Ravens really are this week.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,012 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:18 AM

Arizona isn't great, but they aren't bad either. 

They aren't?

#5 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:27 AM

They aren't?

It's Week 2, other then Miami and the handful of obvious contenders, no team can really be judged yet. We beat the Dolphins. Good for us. We should be able to beat Arizona, but it's hard to tell how good or bad they are this season based off of one game.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,731 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

They aren't?

They might not be good, but they've got legitimate talent in places on their roster. 

#7 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:03 AM

It's a huge break that we get to play them without Peterson, though it'd be great to have see Brown burn Peterson on tape a few times :)

Stafford had the 2nd highest YPA of the week tied with Lamar against Arizona last week in Arizona. I fully expect the Ravens offense to be locked in on this one. But Jones/Suggs are much more formidable on the edges than Miami's (somewhat underrated, IMO) DL. 

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:40 AM

I expect the Stadium to be rocking this week.

Arizona is better, this year, but the Ravens should be up for this game.  I think they win by 7-10

@mikeghg

#9 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,606 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:05 PM

I’m still in Greece but I can’t wait to be in the stadium on Sunday!
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,449 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

Contain David Johnson and you easily win.

Ravens are 13.5pt favorites

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,449 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

Btw, as bad as Zona likely will be, Detroit is pretty shitty too. It wouldn’t shock me to see Zona have a better record than detroit.

Still, what they did last week was impressive. Murray really played well late.

#12 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

Btw, as bad as Zona likely will be, Detroit is pretty shitty too. It wouldn’t shock me to see Zona have a better record than detroit.

Still, what they did last week was impressive. Murray really played well late.

I didn't see the game. Did Detroit just let up and go with light fronts? More concepts or skill execution on his part? 

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,449 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:07 PM

I didn't see the game. Did Detroit just let up and go with light fronts? More concepts or skill execution on his part?

Probably both..even if Detroit let up, he was a rookie who was double digits and led his team back after not playing well for 3 quarters.

That’s impressive no matter what the defense is giving you.

And he did it with a subpar team around him.

#14 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:34 PM

His stats looked nice but in a lead when you're running 4 WR and might be up against a 3 man rush with prevent defense can definitely be misleading. Seen it a million times with Dean Pees, so wouldn't surprise me to see something similar on tape from Patricia.

Fitz, Kirk, and David Johnson is a pretty good set of skill players, too. I wouldn't call them subpar, personally. 

I'm just curious if anyone saw it because the film definitely matters. I suspect the Ravens, if it was schemed to success and lots of easy throws will be ready. But definitely something to keep an eye out for if Murray was just ripping them up despite great coverage. 

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,449 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:40 PM

Oline isn’t good

#16 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:35 PM

His stats looked nice but in a lead when you're running 4 WR and might be up against a 3 man rush with prevent defense can definitely be misleading. Seen it a million times with Dean Pees, so wouldn't surprise me to see something similar on tape from Patricia.

Fitz, Kirk, and David Johnson is a pretty good set of skill players, too. I wouldn't call them subpar, personally. 

I'm just curious if anyone saw it because the film definitely matters. I suspect the Ravens, if it was schemed to success and lots of easy throws will be ready. But definitely something to keep an eye out for if Murray was just ripping them up despite great coverage. 

Watched the condensed version on youtube. In the fourth quarter, big play to Fitz was a great throw but Murray had plenty of time. O-line held up against a four man rush with a MLB spy, defense in cover 3 but with man coverage on Fitz that he beat, and Murray put the ball exactly where it needed to be.

Later in the drive on 3rd and 9 he did not connect against cover 1 with man coverage on all receiver out of an empty set. Also a poor play call where every receiver ran short of the sticks except the slot who ran a go but didn't take anyone extra with him. Murray forced a throw, but even if he tried to run, he would have been stopped by the spy, or the defenders who didn't get taken past the sticks at all.

His TD pass to David Johnson was just a beauty play call. Cover 2. 2 WRs tight on each side of the formation. Slot guy would run the flag route while the X and Z ran outs leaving the middle of the field wide open where David Johnson ran a seam against a linebacker. Murray with a nice touch to put it where Johnson could leap and get it, but the LB with his back to the ball had no chance. 

Second touchdown was inside the 5, also the two point conversion. Both plays were ones where two receivers get in the way and a third one slips out open. The TD, FItz was hauling ass in motion before the snap like it was a jet sweep, but just turn ever so slightly toward the goal line as the two receivers ran slant hitches, get in the way routes the other way. 

Completed another big gain to Fitz in OT. 

I'd say the Murray didn't face much pressure on the plays he made in the second half, but not anything resembling prevent D. But when he was pressured come overtime, he was running for his life and not making plays. But if you don't pressure him, he doesn't need a big window to find a receiver. He looks to have great chemistry with them already and can throw the ball at an NFL level. Almost as good as Lamar can throw it.  :)

• BSLJordanKough likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#17 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:42 PM

Oline isn’t good

This is the key for the Ravens. They need to be in this kids face all day. And they need to make the tackle when they get there.

He actually has a lot of good skill position players. David Johnson is a worry. He doesnt need much space to beat you. And Peanut was not very good in coverage last week. Cards can exploit some things on our defense that Miami didn't have the skill position talent to do.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,449 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

Humphrey didn’t practice today.

Hopefully that’s nothing to be worried about.

Carr didn’t practice either but we know he has a nagging injury.

#19 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:08 PM

They did sign Bond back to the PS. They are clearly worried about CB depth. You'd have to think there'd be some active roster change if Humphrey wasn't going to play this week though. 

You'd be down to Averett and Carr as the only true CBs, no? 

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,449 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:02 PM

Humphrey didn't practice because of a back injury but apparently was talking as if he is playing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners