198 replies to this topic

#181 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:46 PM

Are the 643 total yards a team record?  After watching a mediocre to poor offense for so many years, this was almost otherworldly. 

#182 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,818 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:54 PM

Who’d have thunk it? Definitely not the Legion of Gloom, BSLRS and you! 🤣

I've got no qualms about my skepticism. I think it was warranted. Never said he couldn't be very good or that we shouldn't make him the QB this year, just wasn't convinced and would wait to see it.

I also don't think this game means Lamar will always be great. Hope it does. If he's good, the team will be great.

#183 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,686 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:33 PM

I've got no qualms about my skepticism. I think it was warranted. Never said he couldn't be very good or that we shouldn't make him the QB this year, just wasn't convinced and would wait to see it.

I also don't think this game means Lamar will always be great. Hope it does. If he's good, the team will be great.

Right. Skepticism was meant by everyone.
@BSLRobShields

#184 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,686 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:34 PM

Great to see Cle get crushed though
@BSLRobShields

#185 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:18 PM

Great to see Cle get crushed though

Severely overrated. But Tennessee is very underrated. That defense is legit. Cleveland will still be good though. They'll get better as the year rolls on.

#186 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,686 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:29 PM

Severely overrated. But Tennessee is very underrated. That defense is legit. Cleveland will still be good though. They'll get better as the year rolls on.

I agree with that you said but still, 43-13? Embarrassing Cle no matter how you look at it.
@BSLRobShields

#187 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:37 PM

I expect more of a fight from the Cards. They're not that good either, but they aren't anywhere near as bad as Miami.

Suggs is going to regret spurning the Ravens. This team has a ton of potential.

I agree.  Nobody in the last several decades has been as bad as Miami.  But the biggest thing is that the Cardinals will come out wanting to play.  It was obvious from the first series of the game that many of the veterans on Miami have no interest in playing football for them.  They aren't part of their future.  Management has made it no secret they are stockpiling picks and playing for the first pick next year.  Miami's players looked like they were just ready to help them along by tanking it from the start. I can't remember a team that made it so obvious they didn't want to play this early in the season.  I can't say they quit, because they never were there to quit. 

I don't think Suggs will regret it.  He wanted to play his last years in his home state.  The Cardinals aren't going to a super bowl during his last years, but I think he felt it was more important for him to be closer to home.  He didn't look bad in the small action I saw from OT in the Cards game.  But then the last couple of years he usually did start strong and then disappear in the second half of the season.   

#188 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,686 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:52 PM

Miami isn’t an NFL team.

Ravens did exactly what a good team should do today.

Lamar looked great...everything looked great.

All about how bad Smith is hurt.
@BSLRobShields

#189 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,729 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:53 PM

I'm too damn old to day drink. I'm effing hurting right now. But worth it.
  • fishteacher likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#190 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,686 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:58 PM

I'm too damn old to day drink. I'm effing hurting right now. But worth it.

Come On...I’m 40..drank a lot 3 of the last 4 days and still ready to go.

Don’t puss out.
  • fishteacher likes this
@BSLRobShields

#191 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,820 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

Just stay safe. It sucks. The pictures are so awful.

Nassau was never in jeopardy, thankfully.  But the shit I've seen this week, you don't unsee. I've been running point between our helo crews, our watch floor and the triage folks intaking the sick/wounded.  

The absolute worst thing I've seen was the nurses from Abaco when they got relieved on Wednesday.  I've never heard someone cry so loud, fall apart so completely.  My lady friend says I wake up every night repeatedly with nightmares, which I don't remember.

Honestly its the last thing I'll do after 20 years, and I'm ok with that because I'm in my element doing this stuff.  

Anyways, Lamar is a fuckin beast and I'm so glad I got a few hours today to watch it.  

• Ricker Says, Mackus, Nigel Tufnel and 1 other like this

@fuzydunlop

#192 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,279 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:19 PM

Miami isn’t an NFL team.

Ravens did exactly what a good team should do today.

Lamar looked great...everything looked great.

All about how bad Smith is hurt.

The Patriots play them next week. I would expect a repeat of what the Ravens did.

Then again, what if the game is a struggle, say Pats win 23-17, 24-20. Hell what if Miami wins like they did last year? What does that say about what the Ravens did today?

I’m trying to stay levelheaded because I know you need to stack wins and I’m convinced before this game that we have a special team this year. But also that last year they started 3-1, Flacco looking pretty good, and then the wheels fell off before LJ saved the season. They win 47-3 last year in week 1 then lay an egg against a bad Bengals team in week 2.

It’s a week to week league. I don’t expect 5 TDs a week from LJ. But I think the “team x” isn’t a real team is a bogus take as well and it happens every year. By that logic the Pats should put up 70 next week.

The Ravens were perfect. Still counts as 1. And not every game can be perfect.
@BSLMikeRandall

#193 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:37 PM

The Patriots play them next week. I would expect a repeat of what the Ravens did.

Then again, what if the game is a struggle, say Pats win 23-17, 24-20. Hell what if Miami wins like they did last year? What does that say about what the Ravens did today?

I’m trying to stay levelheaded because I know you need to stack wins and I’m convinced before this game that we have a special team this year. But also that last year they started 3-1, Flacco looking pretty good, and then the wheels fell off before LJ saved the season. They win 47-3 last year in week 1 then lay an egg against a bad Bengals team in week 2.

It’s a week to week league. I don’t expect 5 TDs a week from LJ. But I think the “team x” isn’t a real team is a bogus take as well and it happens every year. By that logic the Pats should put up 70 next week.

The Ravens were perfect. Still counts as 1. And not every game can be perfect.

True, but I wouldn't expect a repeat.  The Ravens have beat up on Miami the last couple of times they played.  And we have all seen the scenario where Team A crushes team B, Team B plays team C tough, then team C beats team A.  New England has struggled in Miami the last few years.  Plus the Ravens didn't let up on Miami even after the outcome was decided.  They don't have to worry about a revenge game.  New England will have to play Miami again so at some point I would expect them to turn it off and shorten the game by simply running the ball.  That said, Miami is terrible and there shouldn't be much doubt in that game either.  

#194 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,686 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:48 PM

They will beat up Zona next week. It still won’t matter to me.

How you play in KC will be the test. You can lose that game and still come away more encouraged than today.

Still...Lamar and the Ravens did go out and do what what they needed to today. Sometimes, that doesn’t happen. So. give them credit for punching them in the mouth immediately. Also, Lamar didn’t run today and they still dominated.

All of that is great to see. Can it continue? Who knows but really, we don’t start knowing for a few weeks.
@BSLRobShields

#195 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:10 AM

How you play in KC will be the test. You can lose that game and still come away more encouraged than today.

Still...Lamar and the Ravens did go out and do what what they needed to today. Sometimes, that doesn’t happen. So. give them credit for punching them in the mouth immediately. Also, Lamar didn’t run today and they still dominated.

All of that is great to see. Can it continue? Who knows but really, we don’t start knowing for a few weeks.

I agree.  To be honest, I'm still a little in shock this morning.  I'm trying to stay a person of reason and ask myself, "are the Ravens THAT good or are the Dolphins one of the worst teams ever assembled?"  What really caught me off guard was Hollywood's immediate impact.  The way Harbaugh usually strings rookies along at snail pace during the season, I figured we wouldn't really see any breakout from him until Game 8, if at all.  

#196 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:45 AM

I expect more of a fight from the Cards. They're not that good either, but they aren't anywhere near as bad as Miami.

Suggs is going to regret spurning the Ravens. This team has a ton of potential.

Doubt it. He already has his rings. His move to Arizona had nothing to do with football imo.

#197 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:19 PM

What's interesting to me about this take is that KC's defense just isn't that good. I don't think the KC game tells you all that much about Lamar. KC was the 31st defense in the league last year, and honestly I don't think they did anything to get demonstrably better. In fact, on the year, Miami was a better defensive team last year. (Last year's numbers aren't a tell all to compare teams but it does tell us KC isn't some defensive beacon to measure Lamar's performance. But Miami didn't lose a lot of talent and their best two players are a CB and S that could easily be starters on this Ravens team. 

I want to see Lamar do this consistently more than anything and that does take time. But there isn't a team on the calendar that makes me say, well I can't wait to see what he does in THAT game. Consistency is the name of the game.

But if you can't get a little chub going on for what you saw from Lamar this week...then you're just seeing what you want to see. 

#198 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,686 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:33 PM

What's interesting to me about this take is that KC's defense just isn't that good. I don't think the KC game tells you all that much about Lamar. KC was the 31st defense in the league last year, and honestly I don't think they did anything to get demonstrably better. In fact, on the year, Miami was a better defensive team last year. (Last year's numbers aren't a tell all to compare teams but it does tell us KC isn't some defensive beacon to measure Lamar's performance. But Miami didn't lose a lot of talent and their best two players are a CB and S that could easily be starters on this Ravens team. 

I want to see Lamar do this consistently more than anything and that does take time. But there isn't a team on the calendar that makes me say, well I can't wait to see what he does in THAT game. Consistency is the name of the game.

But if you can't get a little chub going on for what you saw from Lamar this week...then you're just seeing what you want to see. 

KC doesn't have a great defense but they have a lot of talent up front.

Plus, you are on the road and you may have to go into shootout mode with Mahomes.

I agree that their defense isn't his best test BUT the game itself and the situation is an excellent test.

@BSLRobShields

#199 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

Things I loved in this game. 

You can't not talk about Lamar's game. It was a smart game plan. The Ravens came out intending to throw the ball. They flashed some RPO looks early, but really, I think those were called runs based on the push of the OL. Every decision was right. Every throw was where he wanted it to be. He looked calm and in control the entire time. Even on the second Brown TD, he probably can run and create that first down on 3rd and 3 and he's still looking down the field and makes a perfect throw to Brown. With a guy like Brown, and having extended plays, it's going to be a nightmare for teams to try and defend that. We didn't even roll any pockets, there was no backside motion, not a lot of tricks or gadget stuff either. The early throws were easy flat reads underneath. There is a lot more to do on this offense but if they can stay basic and do this, they will.

I'll add a game ball for Greg Roman here. It seems like we're going to see a team that comes out heavy, gives you the basic look. Identifies the keys of where you're going to try and make this team beat you. And then attack them. Oh yeah, and they are going to force you to stop them with punishing runs in the process of that too. This team with Edwards looks like nearly a guaranteed 3 yard gain. If you're in 3rd and 4 or less consistently, this team can be dangerous. Most of the throws weren't on RPOs but the threat of it, really when used was amazing. The formation on the first TD to Hollywood was a twin WR with a two TE set out of the shotgun. It forced the safety down towards the strong side of the formation and makes it a pretty simple read for Lamar. If they don't commit down, you run it, if they over commit in the strong side of the box and keep two safeties back he keeps it to the weak side and basically has a one on one. Or if they commit to the strong and leave your WRs in twin slants and you look one way and find the one guy that's open. That's a classic RPO play, and it was executed to perfection. That's hard to coach against when you have to defend all 11 offensive guys. 

Earl Thomas and Marlon Humphrey playing aggressively in the secondary. Both those picks were those guys attacking the ball, knowing where and what was going on the defense. They are going to make teams force it at times and they are going to make them pay for when it does. 

The run game. There were moments where there was just massive push in the first half and the OL deserves some credit. The Ingram carry came on a huge pull from Bozeman who showed pretty good athleticism and just came across that formation and sealed that hole for Ingram. Conceptually, they felt really locked in. Loved what Edwards and Ingram bring to the table, too. Especially when they knew they could go punish some guys, they really did. 

Brandon Williams. I wonder if the reason we kept only 5 DL is because of something the Ravens did or saw from him this offseason. His push was fantastic. He was swallowing up double teams on the pass rush. Dominant on the run side. Pierce (who looked good) but was regularly the best DT we saw last year was definitely over shadowed by Williams if you ask me. If Williams can have a really big year, or continue to play the way he did today, that could also be a huge boost to this defense. 

Bozeman was kind of the lost guy in the OG competition but maybe the Ravens were just playing coy. The Dolphins DL isn't good but Bozeman held his own from what I remember seeing, and this could be a OL unit to get OK with. 

Things to watch

The pass rush was solid. Wink generated some big time hits on Fitzpatrick, we know those would be there. And Williams flashed on the hold and Judon had a very nice game. But we're going to potentially need more at some point. I liked the game Judon had and if he can play that every week, I think we'll be OK. But if we really want to go to the next level, the pressure in the four man rushes is going to need to get home a bit more. Particularly because this is a bad OL. We didn't see anything from McPhee really...and Bowser had a play or two but didn't flash. These guys proved not a lot. 

The secondary. Averett was OK but he was up and down. We'll need to adjust the game plan there potentially. I wonder if we see more of Elliott or Clark playing some in the slot and letting Carr slide back outside now. Carr played a lot inside and seemed OK there but I think they need a combo of spreading that around more. Make teams guess what they'll see and where to attack and don't be afraid to change it up. Fitzpatrick made three throws by count in my head he shouldn't have made that turned into completions. He was regularly just chucking it into double coverage. But I was a bit concerned that some of those didn't get knocked down. He AVOIDED Earl Thomas like the plague, so much so that you could barely tell Thomas was in the game. The Ravens need to take advantage of that, continue to keep Humphrey and Thomas separated and force teams to be throwing in the direction of one of them. They weren't totally on the same page this week, I don't think and I suspect they will get better. But what was a huge strength to play with incredible upside looked like a much better than average but not more than defense. 

Justice Hill. When he's not playing against third stringers, apparently he won't break a tackle every play. He fumbled the kick off. He looked overwhelmed in his first game. Hopefully he amps it down but based on his Week 1 performance I expect his role to be pared back a bit from what we expected after the preseason. Granted he was running with Mekari, Hurst and Bozeman in front of him against true NFL starters but he looked particularly bad. 

Kenny Young also stuck out to me as playing too fast. Instead of staying within his part of the system, he was kind of all over the place. He seems to be the early down back out there. And who knows if that's injury related to Board or what...but he needs to play within the system a little bit more. I think if he can, he can be really really good. 

• Mike B likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners