https://www.masnspor...e-and-diaz.html

#2 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:20 AM

I really hope we don't see Mountcastle until at least a little bit into next season.  

If he drew walks, I would say they need to bring him up now, but he's going to be exposed in his current profile, and he really only brings a bat to the team.  

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

The kid has earned a call up.

#4 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

The kid has earned a call up.

I think everyone agrees with you on this. But the truth is, there are more reason not to promote him, than there are to promote him. It's one month in Baltimore, it's not that big of an honor. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:59 PM

I think everyone agrees with you on this. But the truth is, there are more reason not to promote him, than there are to promote him. It's one month in Baltimore, it's not that big of an honor. 

I get that,  and that no one agrees with me about bringing him up. I'm just worried about the kid's head if he doesn't get a call up after the season he's had.

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,077 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:28 PM

I get that, and that no one agrees with me about bringing him up. I'm just worried about the kid's head if he doesn't get a call up after the season he's had.

I agree with you.

I think there's a human component in here that can be important not only for him, but for how you manage the Organization. 

There are some complications for PAs as it relates to the other guys on the team right now but you can probably work around some of that.

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,649 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

I get that,  and that no one agrees with me about bringing him up. I'm just worried about the kid's head if he doesn't get a call up after the season he's had.

If he is going to get bent out of shape about this and allows it to effect his career, he was never going to be good to begin with.

@BSLRobShields

#8 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,077 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:46 PM

If he is going to get bent out of shape about this and allows it to effect his career, he was never going to be good to begin with.

You like to pretend the human side of the Game doesn't matter.  I'll disagree.

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:49 PM

Yeah because professional athletes never get in their feelings ever. They're not human, they're just machines.    :shock:

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,649 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:49 PM

You like to pretend the human side of the Game doesn't matter.  I'll disagree.

No...I agree it matters (not to the Level you do but it matters)

However, this is mental stuff being talked about here.  If you can't get past this and it effects you, how are you going to deal with failure in the majors?

He can be upset about it, that's fine.

But, in the article I just posted in the Norfolk section, the scout talked about him perhaps not being as hard a worker as he should be, especially defensively.

Maybe he is right...maybe he's not.

However, if he is right, that is your teaching tool right there.  You tell him that the hit tool is there but effort has to be put forth defensively before you are a MLer.  That should motivate him, not make him sulk.

@BSLRobShields

#11 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,649 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

Yeah because professional athletes never get in their feelings ever. They're not human, they're just machines.    :shock:

There is a difference between him being pissed about it and him allowing it to effect his career.

You said you would be worried about the kids head.  If this effects his head, we should be worried about a lot more with him.

If you want to argue that he should be rewarded for his offense and that we shouldn't piss him off, fine.  If you want to say, that rewarding him looks good to other prospects, fine.

But when you add in "worried about it effecting his head", that adds a whole other level to this.

@BSLRobShields

#12 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,077 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:11 PM

But, in the article I just posted in the Norfolk section, the scout talked about him perhaps not being as hard a worker as he should be, especially defensively.

Maybe he is right...maybe he's not.

However, if he is right, that is your teaching tool right there.  You tell him that the hit tool is there but effort has to be put forth defensively before you are a MLer.  That should motivate him, not make him sulk.

....but your earlier argument was only management of service time.

I wouldn't manage his service time.  If there's something else there (other issues that need to be addressed and not specifically rewarded by pushing onto the September roster) that's fine.

We were only talking about service time.

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,649 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

....but your earlier argument was only management of service time.

I wouldn't manage his service time. If there's something else there (other issues that need to be addressed and not specifically rewarded by pushing onto the September roster) that's fine.

We were only talking about service time.

Well, You not managing his service time tells me that you would be terrible at the job you think you would be so good at..GM.
@BSLRobShields

#14 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:34 PM

I agree with you.

I think there's a human component in here that can be important not only for him, but for how you manage the Organization. 

There are some complications for PAs as it relates to the other guys on the team right now but you can probably work around some of that.

I like to view this by using Kris Bryant for some context. 

I'm certain that RM understands the situation. If he's not promoted for Sept, he'll know it's all about his service time/control and not at all about his performance. 

With that said, If the O's don't have him in Baltimore on opening Day, that would be a stinger. That's what the Cubs did to Kris Bryant, and it was all about holding him in the minors for X amount of days, to gain an extra year of control, even though he was obviously ML ready. If the O's do that to RM, that would be pretty lame. But I can't imagine he'd become filled with resentment or self doubt, just because he wasn't brought up to suffer through a month of O's baseball.   

• bmore_ken likes this

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,649 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:36 PM

If he is on the field on OD, that means they lose the year.

He has to be in the minors until around tax day or so.
@BSLRobShields

#16 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:36 PM

There is a difference between him being pissed about it and him allowing it to effect his career.

You said you would be worried about the kids head.  If this effects his head, we should be worried about a lot more with him.

If you want to argue that he should be rewarded for his offense and that we shouldn't piss him off, fine.  If you want to say, that rewarding him looks good to other prospects, fine.

But when you add in "worried about it effecting his head", that adds a whole other level to this.

If you don't think a player's mental state can't affect his performance, you clearly haven't watched enough sports.

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,649 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:40 PM

If you don't think a player's mental state can't affect his performance, you clearly haven't watched enough sports.

Lol...you clearly aren’t reading or understanding what I’m saying.
@BSLRobShields

#18 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:42 PM

If he is on the field on OD, that means they lose the year.

He has to be in the minors until around tax day or so.

That makes things uncomfortable. If he shows up to ST and continues to rake, but they send him down to save that year, I think it's a bad PR move, and a bad Player/FO relationship move.  

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,649 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:46 PM

That makes things uncomfortable. If he shows up to ST and continues to rake, but they send him down to save that year, I think it's a bad PR move, and a bad Player/FO relationship move.

Well, the big key here is that his defense is shit and if he isn’t putting in the effort defensively, telling him to go to AAA to work on it is fine.

And btw, Bryant was called up later in April.
@BSLRobShields

#20 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:04 PM

Well, the big key here is that his defense is shit and if he isn’t putting in the effort defensively, telling him to go to AAA to work on it is fine.

And btw, Bryant was called up later in April.

Yep, that's why I mentioned him. I may not have been clear. I was using Bryant in regard to a situation where the O's don't bring RM north for OD, the way the Cubs handled KB. At the time I posted that, I didn't realize RM is in the same situation. Thanks for clearing that up for me. 

I can see the point about his D. But I don't know if that's a strong enough argument for sending him down next spring, if his bat is ready. Even though 2020 is going to be another non-competitive year in Baltimore, it still seems like they need to suck it up and let go of that year, if he's ready.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners