#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,364 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

BSL: https://www.baltimor...e-ps-game-left/

Trace McSorley showed us something. Depth on O-line looks like a problem. Pair of bubble receivers found the endzone. Alaka looks like the front runner for UDFA to make the roster. And more.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 253 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:06 PM

Nice article.  Some difficult decisions coming up for Harbaugh and the Ravens staff.

My thoughts:

1) I thought Alaka played fast and generally looked pretty good.  I think he's in the conversation to make the 53-man roster.

2) We clearly don't have a lot of OL depth, but if Yanda, Stanley, and Eluemunor return healthy for Week 1, the Ravens should be okay.

3) McSorley played with poise and confidence, even against the Eagles starters.  He played well enough that they may not be able to stash him on the practice squad.  The Ravens like having a veteran backup, but do they really need RG3?  Could they go with McSorely as the #2?

4) At WR, the race between Scott, Roberts, and Floyd for the final spot is indeed very tough to call.  I think Scott makes it because of his red zone prowess and his youth/potential.  Floyd and Roberts have probably already peaked.

5) The final RB spot is also a toughie.  Dixon has a 50-50 shot.

6) I'd be surprised if Bowser and Williams don't both make the team.

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B, BSLMikeRandall and 1 other like this

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,267 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

Good Post.  JMO, but I would not cut Scott for either Floyd or Roberts.  I think both Roberts and Floyd can help this team, but Scott along with Brown and Boykin can provide the young play makers we have been searching for.

I think Brown, Snead, Moore, Boykin, Scott should be the first 5....carry 6 then Roberts or Floyd make it.

I was surprised Dixon did not play last night.  If the Ravens go with 6 wide outs, I think the chance they keep 4 RB's is very small.

I still believe we sign or trade for veteran Oline help.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@mikeghg

#4 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:13 PM

IMO it would be front office malpractice to stand pat on the present OL. Yes, if all goes well and everyone stays healthy we'll be OK, but how often does that happen? We have no margin for error with what this offense needs and is designed to do. Starting Tackles OK, and Yanda great if he's well. 6th rotational guy Hurst is adequate. Young guys coming along with promise. But for right now C and G are inconsistent, and will get beat by better defenses. I'm sure help will be obtained.

• cprenegade likes this

#5 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:18 PM

McSorley played with poise and confidence, even against the Eagles starters.  He played well enough that they may not be able to stash him on the practice squad.  The Ravens like having a veteran backup, but do they really need RG3?  Could they go with McSorely as the #2?

The final RB spot is also a toughie.  Dixon has a 50-50 shot.

Could RG3 be on practice squad?

I know it's a numbers issue, but I would sure like RBs Ingram, Edwards, Hill and Dixon all on board. They all have different strengths and I think it would be incredibly wearing on a defense to rotate all of them.

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:20 PM

Good Post. JMO, but I would not cut Scott for either Floyd or Roberts. I think both Roberts and Floyd can help this team, but Scott along with Brown and Boykin can provide the young play makers we have been searching for.
I think Brown, Snead, Moore, Boykin, Scott should be the first 5....carry 6 then Roberts or Floyd make it.

I was surprised Dixon did not play last night. If the Ravens go with 6 wide outs, I think the chance they keep 4 RB's is very small.

Dixon was hurt
@BSLRobShields

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:21 PM

I would rather give McSorley the back up job vs RG3
@BSLRobShields

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,325 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:28 PM

Not unless he clears waivers.

#9 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:32 PM

I guess RG3 could be picked up but I think it’s more likely you lose McSorley.
@BSLRobShields

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:09 PM

Not unless he clears waivers.

Which won't happen.

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,267 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:13 PM

I know it's a numbers issue, but I would sure like RBs Ingram, Edwards, Hill and Dixon all on board. They all have different strengths and I think it would be incredibly wearing on a defense to rotate all of them.

The PS rules would prohibit RG 3 from going on it, and he is not going to lose his job because a 6th round pick had a good game.  Trace may have played is way onto the squad but not at RG 3 expense.

@mikeghg

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,267 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:22 PM

I would rather give McSorley the back up job vs RG3

Not me.  RG3 would be claimed in a minute.

They will keep both.

@mikeghg

#13 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:39 PM

Not me. RG3 would be claimed in a minute.

They will keep both.

Yeah I think they will keep both and groom McSorley to be Lamar's back up next year.

#14 cprenegade

cprenegade

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:39 AM

The Ravens either have to keep 3 QBs or lose McSorely.  There are too many teams that McSorely would be an upgrade backup on to believe he would last on a practice squad.  If you can't keep 3 QBs, then cut RG3.  He didn't do anything last year, and is already hurt yet again.  

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,593 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:40 AM

They are going to keep all 3 imo. If its just 2 it will be RG3, as im sure they rather him start if need be than McSorley.

#16 cprenegade

cprenegade

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

They are going to keep all 3 imo. If its just 2 it will be RG3, as im sure they rather him start if need be than McSorley.

You're probably right, but that's not the way I think.  Any playoff chances the Ravens have are tied to Lamar Jackson's athletic ability and his improving in the passing game.  If he gets hurt for any length of time, the season is most likely done anyway.  RG3 isn't leading anyone to the playoffs.  Neither is McSorley, but he is younger and offers more possibilities other than just being a placeholder in case the starter gets hurt.  IMO, the only advantage of RG3 over McSorley is in the event of an injury to Jackson that knocks him out for the one game only and you need a veteran to manage the team to a win and not give the game away.  I would trust RG3 with that over McSorley.  But as I said, I'm pretty sure you are right and they will keep 3.  That will come at an expense of another roster spot though for a position that will simply be inactive every week.  

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:35 AM

The other thing is, are they going to use McSorley all over the place, ala Taysom Hill?

If so, he represents more value than RG3.

I don’t have confidence that’s RG3 can win games, so give me the younger, cheaper player.
@BSLRobShields

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,325 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:19 AM

Keeping only McSorley to back up Jackson is a bad move, IMO. Either go with 3 or try to sneak McSorley onto PS.

#19 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,455 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:39 AM

With our run heavy offense I think RG3 could be a solid backup who could take the team to playoffs if Lamar gets hurt. Much better chance than with McSorley.
  • Steve55 likes this

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#20 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,364 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:07 PM

I would keep all three and use McSorley as a Swiss Army knife.

I don’t think there are a lot of guys making great cases for the 53rd man on the roster where you might miss out if you keep 3 QBs instead of 2 and a different guy.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners