https://www.baltimor...avens-vs-eagles

#3 cprenegade

cprenegade

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 704 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:09 AM

I never learn much of anything from pre-season games.  They are totally meaningless.  Perhaps a few bubble players play their way on to a roster or off of a roster, but other than that who cares.  Most teams now only give their skill starters a whopping 1 or 2 quarters out of 4 games to play.  In the past, Detroit went undefeated in pre-season and then 0-16 in the regular season.  Indy used to go 0-4 in the pre-season without Manning and then regularly won their division and got a number 1 or 2 seed in the conference.  Pre-season is boring.  So many teams have different goals that you really can't tell much about any team as a whole.  You can't feel good about winning because you really don't know the goals of the opposing team.  You can't feel bad about losing for the same reason.  The Ravens are now 16-0 in their last 16 games.  That's a perfect season.  They also have been in one playoff game and have won 0 playoff games in that same time span.  The sooner the NFL does away with or at least cuts back on the pre-season the better.  John Harbuagh is right when he said they accomplish more from joint scrimmages.  I don't think you can judge much of anything by the pre-season results. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#4 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:21 AM

I never learn much of anything from pre-season games. They are totally meaningless. Perhaps a few bubble players play their way on to a roster or off of a roster, but other than that who cares. Most teams now only give their skill starters a whopping 1 or 2 quarters out of 4 games to play. In the past, Detroit went undefeated in pre-season and then 0-16 in the regular season. Indy used to go 0-4 in the pre-season without Manning and then regularly won their division and got a number 1 or 2 seed in the conference. Pre-season is boring. So many teams have different goals that you really can't tell much about any team as a whole. You can't feel good about winning because you really don't know the goals of the opposing team. You can't feel bad about losing for the same reason. The Ravens are now 16-0 in their last 16 games. That's a perfect season. They also have been in one playoff game and have won 0 playoff games in that same time span. The sooner the NFL does away with or at least cuts back on the pre-season the better. John Harbuagh is right when he said they accomplish more from joint scrimmages. I don't think you can judge much of anything by the pre-season results.

I disagree that they're meaningless. I've heard pretty much every single player and coach say you can't replicate the speed and intensity of a game, even a preseason game, in a practice. I like the idea of 2 weeks of joint practices and 2 weeks of preseason games. But preseason offers younger players or newer starters the chance to get used to communication and filling their role in a game situation.

I'm sure guys like Peanut and Thomas were happy to get some reps in their new positions when it didn't matter. Plus, I think you really see how good systems are vs the players running them. For example, Winks defensive system, no matter who is plugged in, even the 2nd and 3rd teams are generating pressure. Ravens need to do everything they can to keep him in Baltimore.

#5 cprenegade

cprenegade

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 704 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:03 AM

I disagree that they're meaningless. I've heard pretty much every single player and coach say you can't replicate the speed and intensity of a game, even a preseason game, in a practice. I like the idea of 2 weeks of joint practices and 2 weeks of preseason games. But preseason offers younger players or newer starters the chance to get used to communication and filling their role in a game situation.

I'm sure guys like Peanut and Thomas were happy to get some reps in their new positions when it didn't matter. Plus, I think you really see how good systems are vs the players running them. For example, Winks defensive system, no matter who is plugged in, even the 2nd and 3rd teams are generating pressure. Ravens need to do everything they can to keep him in Baltimore.

Sorry, maybe I was not clear.  I understand that to a coaching staff there are goals and things to be learned.  I meant they are totally meaningless as a predictor of what kind of season a team is going to have.  Going 4-0 or 0-4 means absolutely nothing as to how good or how bad any given team will be.  Even at a player level it is tough to predict how they will look once the games are for real.  The intensity level goes up quite a bit once the season begins.  I've seen players tear it up in the preseason and be out of football before the year is out.  And I've seen players cut by teams at the end of preseason only to get picked up and be productive with another team.  And when you add in the injury factor (aka, Lamar Miller), it just isn't worth it.  That's why you won't see anyone of any stature playing in this next game all around the league.  

• bmore_ken likes this

#6 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:48 AM

Sorry, maybe I was not clear.  I understand that to a coaching staff there are goals and things to be learned.  I meant they are totally meaningless as a predictor of what kind of season a team is going to have.  Going 4-0 or 0-4 means absolutely nothing as to how good or how bad any given team will be.  Even at a player level it is tough to predict how they will look once the games are for real.  The intensity level goes up quite a bit once the season begins.  I've seen players tear it up in the preseason and be out of football before the year is out.  And I've seen players cut by teams at the end of preseason only to get picked up and be productive with another team.  And when you add in the injury factor (aka, Lamar Miller), it just isn't worth it.  That's why you won't see anyone of any stature playing in this next game all around the league.  

Agree.  Preseason is mainly for bubble players who need to prove to the coaching staff that they belong on the team.  And I do think it's valuable for rookies to get their feet wet before the season begins.  Otherwise, it's a waste of time and just asking for injuries to established players. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners