Photo

How much do you care about 2019 pitching stats?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,209 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:57 PM

Look back a couple of years ago. Looked to me, but what do I know, that the second half the season Manny was trying to hit HRs to the detriment of the team. It didn't "feel' anything like an approach to help them win but an attempt to pad his stats to get to 40. Could be totally off base but that was the impression I got watching him night after night.

Now I have no doubt that the analytics point to hitting HRs as an improved method to winning. But I think its rooted deeper than that. The average MLB player is younger than both my kids. I know how they played video games. And I saw them try (they weren't that good at baseball) to emulate that when they played little league.

#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:55 PM

Look back a couple of years ago. Looked to me, but what do I know, that the second half the season Manny was trying to hit HRs to the detriment of the team. It didn't "feel' anything like an approach to help them win but an attempt to pad his stats to get to 40. Could be totally off base but that was the impression I got watching him night after night.

Now I have no doubt that the analytics point to hitting HRs as an improved method to winning. But I think its rooted deeper than that. The average MLB player is younger than both my kids. I know how they played video games. And I saw them try (they weren't that good at baseball) to emulate that when they played little league.

Well, we can definitely extrapolate your anecdotes to push aside reported, researched information and cover not only an entire sport, but an entire generation.
@DJ_McCann

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,990 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:58 PM

I have no idea what your impression of one player's intentions from two years ago has to do with this.

Also, in situations where trying for a single makes more sense than trying for a homer, the single is often fulfilling instant gratification as well.

#24 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,648 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:26 PM

To go along with this(saw this on twitter)...:

Final AAA Home Run Totals: 2018 - 3,652 2019 - 5,749 AAA games switched to MLB baseballs in 2019.

@BSLRobShields

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,646 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:45 PM

To go along with this(saw this on twitter)...:

Final AAA Home Run Totals: 2018 - 3,652 2019 - 5,749 AAA games switched to MLB baseballs in 2019.

That's insane. 

#26 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:50 PM

That's insane. 

That's a 57% increase in HRs.  57%. Wow.

#27 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,209 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:55 PM

Nah, the balls are the same as they have been......bwahaha

#28 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,648 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:16 PM

That's insane.

Not only is it insane, it makes evaluating very difficult.
@BSLRobShields

#29 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,359 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:59 PM

Not only is it insane, it makes evaluating very difficult.

Agreed, but wouldn't using a different ball than the majors uses have challenges of it's own?
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners