#1 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:52 PM

Harbaugh just said in the post game press conference that Young has a disc issue in his neck and that he could be done for the year.

Said the injury is worse than they originally thought.

Huge loss especially given the contract they just gave him.

He’s likely going to have surgery. Not career threatening.
@BSLRobShields

#2 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:26 AM

I heard this too. Bad blow for the team. Looks like CJ is the next man up in that role. At least he's a hometown boy.

#3 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:25 AM

Harbaugh just said in the post game press conference that Young has a disc issue in his neck and that he could be done for the year.

Said the injury is worse than they originally thought.

Huge loss especially given the contract they just gave him.

He’s likely going to have surgery. Not career threatening.

That hurts. I guess Jimmy Smith's spot is safe now. Definitely need the depth.

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:49 AM

That contract could really end up looking bad.

@BSLRobShields

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,205 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:35 AM

I heard this too. Bad blow for the team. Looks like CJ is the next man up in that role. At least he's a hometown boy.

Brandon Carr, probably gets time there too.

@mikeghg

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,205 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:36 AM

It happens....injuries are a big part of every contract

@mikeghg

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:48 AM

It happens....injuries are a big part of every contract

Except it happens to him all the time..and not just minor stuff either.
@BSLRobShields

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,205 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:18 AM

Except it happens to him all the time..and not just minor stuff either.

It does seem too, but they invested in a important position and in a player they like

@mikeghg

#9 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:22 AM

Hindsight is 20/20. Every contract has the potential to look bad in the future. If we hypothetically traded for Clowney, have him play 16 games and dominate. And then signed him to a huge deal. It could look terrible if he gets injured the next 3 seasons after. You can't base your offseasons moves on the fear of future injury.
  • Mike B and bmore_ken like this

#10 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:27 PM

In Tavon's case, this seems like bad luck to an extent. It's not the same recurring injury, but missing time is missing time. Hopefully he can get and stay healthy soon.

I wonder if they'll play Carr at nickel at all. I don't know if he's ever played inside in his career, or if he has the skill set at this point to move with quick, shifty slot receivers.

@Bmore_Irish

#11 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,310 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:37 PM

It was a risky contract from the jump. I wasn't a fan of it. Same with Boyle, who hasn't looked great blocking this pre season IMO.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#12 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:15 PM

In Tavon's case, this seems like bad luck to an extent. It's not the same recurring injury, but missing time is missing time. Hopefully he can get and stay healthy soon.

I wonder if they'll play Carr at nickel at all. I don't know if he's ever played inside in his career, or if he has the skill set at this point to move with quick, shifty slot receivers.

Carr played some nickel last year. I think we will see him and Cyrus Jones in the slot.

@gabefergy

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

It was a risky contract from the jump. I wasn't a fan of it. Same with Boyle, who hasn't looked great blocking this pre season IMO.

I didn't hate the Tavon contract, but Boyle's contract didn't make any sense to me. There are a lot cheaper blocking TEs out there.

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,205 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:03 PM

Every contract given in the NFL , and in all of sports can be a bad one.  Injuries happen and when they do, there is going to be second guessing.  If a team believes in the player they should get a deal done.   The Ravens believe in Young.

@mikeghg

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:21 PM

Every contract given in the NFL , and in all of sports can be a bad one. Injuries happen and when they do, there is going to be second guessing. If a team believes in the player they should get a deal done. The Ravens believe in Young.

Yes but obviously some contracts are much larger risks than others and obviously Young is a larger risk.
@BSLRobShields

#16 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

Yes but obviously some contracts are much larger risks than others and obviously Young is a larger risk.

I don't think that is true at all. If you want to avoid giving contracts to any player that has been injured previously, it's going to be very hard to field an NFL roster.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@gabefergy

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

I don't think that is true at all. If you want to avoid giving contracts to any player that has been injured previously, it's going to be very hard to field an NFL roster.

Of course it’s true.

A player with a history of major injuries is very clearly and very obviously a larger risk than a player who hasn’t had those injuries.
@BSLRobShields

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:37 PM

I was very much in favor of the contract Tavon got but Rob and Rick are right that he was/is a higher injury risk than a typical CB.

#19 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,318 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:30 PM

I didn’t know there was a correlation between ACL injuries and neck injuries two years later. The Ravens should have seen it coming.

You can literally make an All-Pro team out of players who have torn ACL, or had equally as major injuries. If you don’t take any risks, you will have a pretty awful football team.

Young is a $3.6M cap hit this year. The contract as a whole is pretty team friendly. Two guys not even on the team are costing the Ravens more against the cap. If you didn’t sign Young he could test FA next year. The Ravens have Young through 2022. Sucks he’s gonna miss the year. Every player is a risk the second they buckle up a chin strap. I in no way think the Ravens were wrong to extent Young the contract they did, risky or not.
  • BSLChrisStoner, DuffMan, BSLGabeFerguson and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

I didn’t know there was a correlation between ACL injuries and neck injuries two years later. The Ravens should have seen it coming.

You can literally make an All-Pro team out of players who have torn ACL, or had equally as major injuries. If you don’t take any risks, you will have a pretty awful football team.

Young is a $3.6M cap hit this year. The contract as a whole is pretty team friendly. Two guys not even on the team are costing the Ravens more against the cap. If you didn’t sign Young he could test FA next year. The Ravens have Young through 2022. Sucks he’s gonna miss the year. Every player is a risk the second they buckle up a chin strap. I in no way think the Ravens were wrong to extent Young the contract they did, risky or not.

I don’t think they were wrong either.

As for your correlation point...why even mention that? Do you think that is a valid point?

Injury prone guys have injuries all throughout their body. The key here is that he has now missed 2 full years (assuming he misses this year). He has now been in the league 4 years. If you have missed half your time in the league due to injury, that’s a hell of a lot different than someone who has the occasional hamstring pull or sprained ankle or something like that.

These are major, career altering injuries. These are the types of injuries where when he comes back, he may not be the same player ever again. That’s an issue.

Like you said, the contract isn’t some prohibitive terrible thing. But if this keeps up, it will certainly be a complete bust of a deal and it will certainly be a black mark on the cap.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners