• Please log in to reply
2489 replies to this topic

#921 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,105 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:08 AM

With the understanding that you have to factor in opponent, game situation, health, etc...  how do the Ravens win 3rd down defensively? 

1) When it's 3rd and long, and the Ravens bring pressure...  who do you want on the field? The Secondary is a real strength this year.  Do you like the idea of Dime formations, giving opposing offenses tough matchups to win, and hope that downfield coverage helps gets pressure (and quick releases from QBs)? Can also disguise who is blitzing etc.

or

2) Do you like more standard formations, and say its on some of the OLBs etc to go get the QB?

3) When it's 3rd and short, what's the 'big' lineup you think you'll like best?

#922 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,278 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:57 PM

TBH, I don’t think much of that means anything. (I know it’s great for discussion but bear with me?

First of all, game situation, injuries, etc..will dictate most of what you asked.

On defense, the team is going to rely on the secondary to carry it. My guess is they will be man to man a lot..Thomas playing CF, Jefferson up against the run and blitzing, etc...Levine will probably see the field a lot on third down.

But anything that happens with this team starts and ends with Lamar.

What’s ironic to me, as someone who doesn’t like the long term outlook, I think Lamar has a chance to be in the MVP conversation.

I have said it a few times recently but I think the range for this Ravens team is literally as wide as possible..fighting for a top pick or winning the SB and almost all of that is centered around Jackson. Sure, injuries will be a factor but Lamar is the key to what you do.

If this team wins the division and is one of the better teams in the NFL, Jackson will be in the MVP conversation because his contributions will dictate that.

But if he struggles, this team is in real trouble.

And, getting back to what Chris is asking, if he is doing well, this will be a scary first down offense. How do you defend against a team that can attack you from literally every direction?

If Lamar struggles, the Ravens will be a predictable, run offense (especially on first down) and it will put them in a lot of long Second and third downs.
@BSLRobShields

#923 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,278 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:53 PM

Jeff Z:

Per NFL transaction wire, Ravens DTs Michael Pierce and Daylon Mack, and OLB Jaylon Ferguson have all passed their physicals. So they're off the non-football injury list and available to practice. Ravens first training camp practice is Thursday.
@BSLRobShields

#924 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,571 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

Pierce must have gotten serious during the down time.

@mikeghg

#925 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,278 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:13 AM

Balt Ravens: Late for Work 7/22: Rich Eisen: AFC North is Ravens’ Division to Lose
https://www.baltimor...ivision-to-lose

@BSLRobShields

#926 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,550 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:02 PM

With the understanding that you have to factor in opponent, game situation, health, etc...  how do the Ravens attack 1st down offensively? 

1st down means a lot to any offense, but whether you are a Jackson believer or skeptical... I think we can collectively acknowledge it's a losing proposition for the 2019 Ravens if they are consistently 3rd and long. 

They have to win on 1st down. 

Teams will come in geared to slow the ground game on 1st. 

1) Do you think the Ravens should generally have a 50/50 split between running and throwing on 1st?

2) Should the Ravens (particularly in the opening weeks) throw more on 1st? (Pass to open up the run?)

3) Should the Ravens say running is what we do best.... try and stop us!

I think the goal on offense is to be unpredictable, to show one thing and do another. This is why play action is so effective.

The Ravens were one of the highest users of play action passing as a % of all attempted passes with Jackson as QB. That should continue especially on 1st down when teams are expecting a run heavy team like the Ravens to run. 

You can dictate this to some extent using personnel, pass the ball out of heavy personnel. Check downs to RBs and TEs are generally more effective than just running the ball. You should also threaten the defense with at least 1 deep route.

@gabefergy

#927 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

I'm really curious to see how they use personnel. I want to see jumbo packages go spread early. See multiple TE looks and then let guys like Andrews and Hurst slide out to the slot and go 3 or 4 wide at a time. Really extend the defense laterally but also, as Gabe mentions, keep wrinkles of PA mixed in there. 

With burner speed on the outside for bubble screens with a TE as a blocking option or a deep shot from Moore/Boykin you could give a three prong look out of 12 personnel (1 RB and two TEs). Keeping one guy strong side, splitting the other out, snapping on PA, faking a bubble screen on the slot/TE side and letting the WR on the other side win his one on one. Plays like this would force defenders (a) to see multiple things and decide what kind of assignment they want to cover. You get LBs that have to cover in one direction, need for a deep safety, don't have everyone crammed in the box, and give your RB and QB lanes if you do actually run or pass. Wrinkle could be doing it from the pistol so it's a zone read play action. 

Variations of these types of three or four prong multi-action plays with simple keys and reads for Lamar make the most sense for me. Especially on first downs, where the default is if you get looks you don't understand or can't key, to just hand it off. 

#928 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:41 PM

As for Hollywood Brown, he's not actually on the PUP. Interesting to me they didn't just put him there to start, as there is no harm because once camp starts, if you're not the PUP, you can't go on the PUP. Makes me think they don't have any plans for him to be there when things are said and done. 

#929 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:05 AM

Mason Foster was just cut by Washington. I don't know much about him but he was a tackling machine. I don't see us adding a ILB at this stage, but an interesting potential name. 

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#930 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

I am getting excited for camp, another good read: https://www.pennlive...ookie-year.html

You can take either side of the Lamar debate but some interesting stats there. Particularly the interception rate being 12th best. Also, it was good to see the average distance numbers on his throws, though I don't think the complaint on this board was too many check downs...

• Mike B and Bmore Irish like this

#931 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:22 PM

That was an interesting analysis. The numbers seem to match up with what we're seeing (or think we're seeing) on the field. The sack rate was the only semi-surprising stat in there, and that's maybe more because I remember the incredible escapes more than the actual number of sacks.

@Bmore_Irish

#932 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,571 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:59 PM

Mason Foster was just cut by Washington. I don't know much about him but he was a tackling machine. I don't see us adding a ILB at this stage, but an interesting potential name. 

They have about 12 million in cap space, and anyone cut at this point is going to come cheap.  I would not be surprised if they looked at,  any inside or outside backer.  Foster seems like the Daryl Smith type signing that I have been waiting for.  He had over 130 tackles last year, and is just 30 years old.

I think the Redskins recently signed Jon Bostic on the cheap.  The Ravens had Bostic in a few months ago and passed.   I could see them calling Foster.

@mikeghg

#933 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,550 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:38 PM

I am getting excited for camp, another good read: https://www.pennlive...ookie-year.html

You can take either side of the Lamar debate but some interesting stats there. Particularly the interception rate being 12th best. Also, it was good to see the average distance numbers on his throws, though I don't think the complaint on this board was too many check downs...

I think that was a pretty good read, the one area I would push back would be the INT% because I feel like he got fairly lucky on a lot of balls that I would consider "Int worthy". 

PFF has a QB report that provides a ton of really interesting data, and a lot of it was very very poor for Jackson. So from an optimistic point of view, there is a lot of room to improve. Of course, the flip side is the floor is very low.

@gabefergy

#934 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,571 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

Really good read.  Thanks for sharing.

I am cautiously optimistic that Lamar is going to work out.  I have been trying all off season to understand that to judge Lamar like you would a more conventional QB, does not work.  Is he going to be a 70% QB standing tall in the pocket no, but if they are going to run the offense like they say, he is going to be put pressure on the defense in many different ways.

How many other QB's are going to put up the gash plays like I think he will.

A serious question.  Over /Under at 8, for runs over 30 yards during the season.

@mikeghg

#935 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:30 PM

A serious question.  Over /Under at 8, for runs over 30 yards during the season.

Over. Well over, I'd guess. Actually, how many did he have last year, lol? 30 is a lot. 

#936 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,550 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:33 PM

I'd go under

@gabefergy

#937 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,934 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:48 AM

Dixon in danger of not making team?

https://www.rotoworl...9/kenneth-dixon

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#938 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,550 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:01 AM

Dixon in danger of not making team?

https://www.rotoworl...9/kenneth-dixon

I think he is firmly on the bubble. It's hard to carry 4 RBs and he is in the last year of his rookie contract. My guess, the Ravens will showcase him in preseason and try to see if any RB-needy team gives up a late round pick for him.

@gabefergy

#939 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,278 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:05 AM

Yea, I think he is in trouble too.

Personally, I would rather see him on the team vs Edwards.

• BSLGabeFerguson likes this
@BSLRobShields

#940 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,792 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:50 AM

For those of you with an Athletic sub, this was excellent.  About Lamar and the Ravens pre-draft and his post-draft development.

https://theathletic....ng-quarterback/

• BSLRobShields likes this

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners