#661 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:12 PM

Dumb to post online.

Silly to think we were all above that type of act when we were 21-22. No one has ever tried to push their car past their limits, once?

When I was that age, I had a 1975 Dodge Dart. Pushing that car past its limits started when I pulled away from the curb.

There were also no cell phones then, so I didn't have the double-stupid option.

#662 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:17 PM

Dumb to post online.

Silly to think we were all above that type of act when we were 21-22. No one has ever tried to push their car past their limits, once?

It's a dumb act, no doubt about it.   I don't think that makes him dumb. 

We've all done some dumb shit. I'm sure none of us consider ourselves dumb.

#663 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:21 PM

We've all done some dumb shit. I'm sure none of us consider ourselves dumb.

In our defense, we were always trying to conceal it not broadcast it.  Kids these days don't seem to fully grasp how the internet works.

• mdrunning likes this

#664 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,074 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

We were all dumb, and we just didn't have social media to prove it. Facts.

This was insanely, insanely dumb. Also facts. 

Ben Roethlisberger had a really stupid moment with a vehicle, too. His stupid moment doesn't mean that he's stupid at football.

#665 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,454 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:30 PM

Lamar doesn’t come across as the sharpest pencil in the box but that could just be how he comes across more than reality.

This incident is just a young kid doing something stupid. No biggie at the end of the day.

#666 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,209 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:01 PM

It's a dumb act, no doubt about it.   I don't think that makes him dumb. 

He seems dumb, honestly. And I was responding to the thing he was saying complaining at the players who have left (us players have no choice). Just a stupid, stupid comment. And just because I think he's dumb doesn't mean he's not a great dude, or could be a great football player, or already isn't a dynamic football player. I just don't think he's smart, like at all.

• SportsGuy likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#667 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,735 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:12 PM

He seems dumb, honestly. And I was responding to the thing he was saying complaining at the players who have left (us players have no choice). Just a stupid, stupid comment. And just because I think he's dumb doesn't mean he's not a great dude, or could be a great football player, or already isn't a dynamic football player. I just don't think he's smart, like at all.

He seems young to me.  As I get older (about to turn 40), I feel more uncomfortable about negatively characterizing guys.  I've felt it for years at the college level with non-pros.  Starting to feel it more and more with the youngest pros.   (Jackson born the year I graduated HS.)

He's a pro, and an adult... so he's fair game for criticism.  He certainly is when he posts a dumb act, or makes a cringy comment like the one highlighted. 

I'm definitely comfortable with saying he seems young.  Have seen it in prior interviews.   But he works hard, players gravitate to him as a leader. He's typically humble in comments he does make.  I think those are also traits of intelligence (and clearly overall character).

So maybe the things we see which speak to immaturity, or which appear 'dumb' to us today... will go away in-time with age, and experience. 

• BSLGabeFerguson and bmore_ken like this

#668 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,194 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:15 PM

Ricker, I would venture that 98% of people who are that age are really stupid.  I know I was. 

Compared to 90% of people overall.  

• BSLJordanKough likes this

@fuzydunlop

#669 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,454 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:26 PM

Ricker, I would venture that 98% of people who are that age are really stupid.  I know I was. 

Compared to 90% of people overall.  

This isn't the dumb Ricker is talking about though.

I think Ricker is talking just pure intelligence..not dumb decisions.  Book smarts, etc...

#670 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,074 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:27 PM

Lamar doesn’t come across as the sharpest pencil in the box but that could just be how he comes across more than reality.

He seems dumb, honestly. ... I just don't think he's smart, like at all.

Theory: I really think it's the deep-south black drawl that makes people think that. No, I'm not saying it's racist, but it is racial. I'm just saying that the accent is off-putting to a lot of people and they think it "comes off as dumb."

My sister-in-law's ex-boyfriend is from New Orleans and moved to Atlanta mid-way through his life. He has a crazy drawl and I swore he was dumb as hell until I had a conversation with him. 

I'm not saying that he isn't dumb. He totally could be.

• McNulty and bmore_ken like this

#671 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,454 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:30 PM

Theory: I really think it's the deep-south black drawl that makes people think that. No, I'm not saying it's racist, but it is racial. I'm just saying that the accent is off-putting to a lot of people and they think it "comes off as dumb."

My sister-in-law's ex-boyfriend is from New Orleans and moved to Atlanta mid-way through his life. He has a crazy drawl and I swore he was dumb as hell until I had a conversation with him. 

Actually, I have heard the term used before "country dumb".  (doesn't just prefer to black people)

I do think that has something to do with it.

• The Epic likes this

#672 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,074 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:38 PM

Actually, I have heard the term used before "country dumb".  (doesn't just prefer to black people)

I do think that has something to do with it.

That's fair, but I don't think (I could be wrong!) that Peyton Manning and his hard drawl got that type of criticism, but it's everywhere with Lamar, by all races. Mixing the accent with AAVE might just push some over the edge. I dunno. 

#673 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,454 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:43 PM

That's fair, but I don't think (I could be wrong!) that Peyton Manning and his hard drawl got that type of criticism, but it's everywhere with Lamar, by all races. Mixing the accent with AAVE might just push some over the edge. I dunno. 

But Peyton didn't articulate himself in a dumb manner though.

Lamar Jackson, at times, just says things that don't sound like something a smart person would say.  Peyton never did that.

That's why, for me at least, I think accent plays a role but its more than that.

Now, that being said...he also could be a young kid that gets nervous in front of the media and the camera and just comes across totally different than he actually is.   Obviously,  we don't see him outside of that and, as Chris said, it may not be fair to criticize him for it.  Based on what we have seen and heard, I don't think Ricker is wrong but it also doesn't mean that Ricker is right.

#674 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:46 PM

Love the moves today, but still concerned about the pass rush. Given the already uncharacteristic ET signing, I wonder whether that means it's more or less likely that they'd also go after Houston, since he's really the only "sure thing" edge player left.

@Bmore_Irish

#675 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,454 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

Everything official.

Signings of Thomas and Ingram announced.

Joe to Denver for a 4th rounder announced.

#676 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,205 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:02 PM

I remember Ovechkin proudly talked about going like 160mph around 495. When DC gave him the key to the city and asked what’s the first thing he would do, he said “no more speed limits!”

Good times.

In his defense, Ovi is pretty much invincible.
@BSLMikeRandall

#677 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:03 PM

Andy Benoit can look like an idiot at times, but he also has some very salient takes. I agree with this below statement in a big way. I still think the Ravens need another Edge rusher, but Williams and Bowser will have an opportunity to step up as well. I think they can give you like 75% of what Suggs/Smith offered last year especially if they are moved around a lot.

Clearly the Ravens brass believes that as long as this D has talent on the back end, it can win through scheme on the front end.

https://www.si.com/n...impression=true

@gabefergy

#678 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,074 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:03 PM

I remember Ovechkin proudly talked about going like 160mph around 495. When DC gave him the key to the city and asked what’s the first thing he would do, he said “no more speed limits!”

Good times.

In his defense, Ovi is pretty much invincible.

I really don't think a car crash would kill him. Hell, I don't think he'd feel it. 

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#679 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,074 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:02 PM

Lamar apologized for his actions via Twitter.

#680 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,209 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:20 PM

I've barely heard him talk. Almost everything I've seen him say has been via quote. I'm basing this solely on what he's saying, not how he sounds while saying it. Although I don't disagree for some that could be a factor.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners