241 replies to this topic

#41 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,364 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:43 AM

Economics played a part in it too. Joe was average over the course of it but was getting paid to be a top-tier QB. I think that is where a lot of fans started to turn on him.

Some fans take things way too far to the extreme. 

However it was a business decision economics as you say, and Jackson earned the job. Wish Flacco the best. Thanks for the memories. But it makes perfect sense for the Ravens to do what they did.

He may not have been "wanted" at the very end with Jackson earning the job and the subsequent release/trade. But he was wanted on draft day. He was wanted the year before the Super Bowl but he turned down the extension. He was wanted to the tune of highest paid ever. He was wanted again with an extension after three years of a six year deal. He was wanted for 99% of the last 11 years. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#42 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:06 AM

However it was a business decision economics as you say, and Jackson earned the job. Wish Flacco the best. Thanks for the memories. But it makes perfect sense for the Ravens to do what they did.

He may not have been "wanted" at the very end with Jackson earning the job and the subsequent release/trade. But he was wanted on draft day. He was wanted the year before the Super Bowl but he turned down the extension. He was wanted to the tune of highest paid ever. He was wanted again with an extension after three years of a six year deal. He was wanted for 99% of the last 11 years.

I supported Flacco for 10 plus years but he looked "done" in that Steelers game. Maybe a change of scenery will do him some good but you can't blame the Ravens for not "wanting" him anymore. No one saw a 6-1 finish by Lamar coming so his arrival came a year sooner than expected. That being said I don't think Flacco meant any harm by what he said. It was a tough transition and it probably feels good to be the man again.

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,325 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:10 AM

That just seemed like a tiny little jab at the Ravens that was unlike him. I would have expected the cliche answers. 

Isn't "its nice to be wanted" the most cliche of answers that can be given following a trade?

I didn't see the comments being made, so maybe the tone or body language beyond the words made it seem more biting.   But I'd be real surprised if there was any vindictiveness from Joe.  My guess is he just said what he felt would get the interview over with as quickly and innocuously as possible.

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,593 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:03 PM

ESPN: Ravens coach John Harbaugh on the idea of more joint practices and fewer preseason games: "I wouldn't be opposed to that. I'm on record, I don't know how many of these preseason games we really need to play. I also understand there's a lot to the bargaining process."

#45 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

Brian Baldinger has a podcast and he talked a lot about the Ravens - sees them as a potential SB team.

Also talks a lot about the idea of how teams are using these joint practices as a way to get ready for the season instead of preseason.

It's a good listen

https://omny.fm/show...ding-the-browns

@gabefergy

#46 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:12 PM

Tidbits on former Ravens. 

Saw Flacco on Monday night in preseason action. Game was on ESPN. Quote from Flacco on being a Bronco now. "It feels good to be wanted again." Interesting choice of words. 

Darren Waller was on Hard Knocks trying to make it on the Raiders. He said he was addicted to opiates and oxy while a Raven, and purposely tried to do as much as he could so the league would kick him out and he wouldn't look like a quitter in the public eye. Was high every day at practice. Apparently clean now. Trying to make the most of a second chance. Pretty selfish IMO to put the Ravens in that kind of situation though. 

I don't take anything from what Flacco said, especially if you consider the Broncos essentially did the same thing drafting a QB high.

Regarding Waller, it's pretty obvious that he was in a very bad place. I'm just glad he was able to get his life back on track. A lot of people enter into a downwards spiral they never get out of dealing with addiction. I'll be rooting for him.

@gabefergy

#47 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:12 PM

Brian Baldinger has a podcast and he talked a lot about the Ravens - sees them as a potential SB team.

Also talks a lot about the idea of how teams are using these joint practices as a way to get ready for the season instead of preseason.

It's a good listen

https://omny.fm/show...ding-the-browns

He seems to write a lot about the Ravens. Does he have a connection? Or is he just high on them? 

#48 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:35 PM

https://twitter.com/...1393223680?s=21
@BSLRobShields

#49 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:27 PM

That 2nd extension was because of the large cap charge that was due.

#50 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:56 AM

Isn't "its nice to be wanted" the most cliche of answers that can be given following a trade?

I didn't see the comments being made, so maybe the tone or body language beyond the words made it seem more biting. But I'd be real surprised if there was any vindictiveness from Joe. My guess is he just said what he felt would get the interview over with as quickly and innocuously as possible.

Yes, it is a very much a cliche answer. I think Joe saw the handwriting on the wall once Jackson was drafted in Round one. The situation was galvanized once it became apparent once the offense put together packages that included both Joe and Jackson. At some level he felt like he was being pushed out.

I agree that he most likely wants to move on. However,in his own way he has likely been motivated by the divorce from the Ravens.

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,325 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:20 AM

https://www.espn.com...s-nfl-help-head

Didn't know where to put this, but Le'Ron McClain seems unwell.  Getting some national press so hopefully he can get whatever help he needs.  Ravens have always seemed good about this sort of thing so I'm sure they are aware and doing whatever they can do to help him out.

• JStruds likes this

#52 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:27 AM

https://www.espn.com...s-nfl-help-head

Didn't know where to put this, but Le'Ron McClain seems unwell.  Getting some national press so hopefully he can get whatever help he needs.  Ravens have always seemed good about this sort of thing so I'm sure they are aware and doing whatever they can do to help him out.

And people boo Luck because he wants to walk from this.  

@BSLRobShields

#53 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,455 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

Christ, he's only 34 too. Way too soon for this shit to start happening. He should have a good long life ahead of him still.

• Mike B likes this

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#54 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:56 AM

Christ, he's only 34 too. Way too soon for this shit to start happening. He should have a good long life ahead of him still.

Think about it though.  He used his head as a battering ram for over a decade.  Just has to take its toll on you.

Its sad.   As Mackus said, hopefully the Ravens step up to the plate and try and help him out somehow.

Reading those tweets makes me wonder if he is thinking suicide.  I hope not and I hope he gets help but they had a tone like that to it.

@BSLRobShields

#55 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,455 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

Think about it though.  He used his head as a battering ram for over a decade.  Just has to take its toll on you.

Its sad.   As Mackus said, hopefully the Ravens step up to the plate and try and help him out somehow.

Reading those tweets makes me wonder if he is thinking suicide.  I hope not and I hope he gets help but they had a tone like that to it.

The Ravens (and the NFL) should send someone over to his house immediately and get him help.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#56 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:34 AM

And people boo Luck because he wants to walk from this.

Luck hearing those boos was ridiculous.

The guy played through a lacerated kidney.

I guess that's not enough for some fans.

I hope McClain gets some help.

His tweets were sad and disturbing.

#57 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,267 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:01 AM

I thought the same thing.  I would have guessed he was at least 40.

Steve B has the reputation, of doing the right things for older players.  He put a number of old Colts, on pay roll so they could have medical benefits, so maybe he will help McLain.

Very sad.

@mikeghg

#58 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:23 PM

The Dolphins have met with Clowney? https://www.espn.com...d-clowney-trade

So he's definitely on the trade block, not just conjecture at this point...I'd really like to see the Ravens be interested in him and get him locked into a long-term deal if they could. 

#59 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:43 PM

A long term deal is not possible with Clowney until after the season so it would have to be a hand-shake type of situation  and any team acquiring him would be taking on a lot of risk.

that said, even as a 1 year rental I think it would make sense for the Ravens if they could figure out a way to eat the salary. If they could package a RB (Edwards/Dixon), a salary dump (Jimmy Smith?) and a pass-rusher (Williams/Bowser) I could see it happening. I have not seen the Ravens as a team that is interested.

It does sound like Houston is acknowledging the difficulty of the situation and the cost of acquiring him may be reasonable. ( this is a good time to point out that Houston does not have a GM)

@gabefergy

#60 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:45 PM

Ah, I thought that rule only applied to the team franchising him. I'd still take the chance...it opens the doors with Judon next year and a decision if you get good development from the three guys behind him. 

Without the salary dump he doesn't fit into the cap under the tag, right? That makes it a much bigger challenge without the ability to work out a new deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners