2489 replies to this topic

#561 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,466 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:50 PM

We missed our chance to bring back Perriman. Re-signed with the Browns for $4 million.

$4 million?

Fitting. It’s about $1 for every ball he’s dropped.
  • Ricker Says and BSLJordanKough like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#562 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:05 PM

Ravens should have beaten the Paradis offer. That is a missed opportunity.

They could have Amos and Paradis right now for fairly cheap deals.

Yeah those seem like very team friendly contracts given how outlandish some have been.

Missed opportunities.
@gabefergy

#563 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:17 PM

Curious what we're waiting for at this point. I'm still interested in declining order Thomas, Saffold, HHCD, Boston. But honestly, not a whole lot else. Regardless, with ZDS, CJ, and Brown all signing pretty lucrative deals and Suggs getting a 7 AAV, you'd have to think our comp position is pretty good. Still able to get two pretty good picks with ZDS and CJ even if we sign two other guys. Urban being the other one potential wild card. 

#564 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,342 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:28 PM

Regardless, with ZDS, CJ, and Brown all signing pretty lucrative deals and Suggs getting a 7 AAV, you'd have to think our comp position is pretty good. Still able to get two pretty good picks with ZDS and CJ even if we sign two other guys.

It's gonna be interesting to see who gets 3rd round grades this year based on the high APY's being handed out.  Rounds are assigned based on rank compared to all NFL players, not just the guys who sign each offseason.  

In order to get two 3rd next year (Mosley & ZDS), the Ravens will need to sign no more than 2 guys compensated players (or one more per each of Urban, Griffin, M. Williams, Allen, Montgomery, Jean-Baptiste who sign elsewhere for enough to be compensated) and the two highest guys they sign cannot have 3rd round grades.  Brown likely has a 4th round grade at $9M APY and Suggs cannot be higher than 5th because he has >10 accrued seasons even though his $7M APY may support a higher grade.

We won't know the cutoff in APY for 3rd round grades officially for a while, and more than just the APY goes into it anyways, how much and how well they play throughout the season is a factor as well.  But my guess is the cutoff between 4th and 3rd round grades will be around $11-12M APY.  So we can sign two guys who have a 4th or lower grade, have them cancel out Brown and Suggs, and then still get 3rd rounders for Mosley and Smith. 

https://overthecap.c...ry-draft-picks/

• BSLJordanKough likes this

#565 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:37 PM

It's gonna be interesting to see who gets 3rd round grades this year based on the high APY's being handed out.  Rounds are assigned based on rank compared to all NFL players, not just the guys who sign each offseason.  

In order to get two 3rd next year (Mosley & ZDS), the Ravens will need to sign no more than 2 guys compensated players (or one more per each of Urban, Griffin, M. Williams, Allen, Montgomery, Jean-Baptiste who sign elsewhere for enough to be compensated) and the two highest guys they sign cannot have 3rd round grades.  Brown likely has a 4th round grade at $9M APY and Suggs cannot be higher than 5th because he has >10 accrued seasons even though his $7M APY may support a higher grade.

We won't know the cutoff in APY for 3rd round grades officially for a while, and more than just the APY goes into it anyways, how much and how well they play throughout the season is a factor as well.  But my guess is the cutoff between 4th and 3rd round grades will be around $11-12M APY.  So we can sign two guys who have a 4th or lower grade, have them cancel out Brown and Suggs, and then still get 3rd rounders for Mosley and Smith. 

https://overthecap.c...ry-draft-picks/

Right. 

For the moment Mosley got 5/85 or 17 AAV. That's going to be a top 5 contract when it's all said and done, I think. It's the 2nd highest I'm aware of so far of the whole crop. ZDS had 4/66 so 16.5 AAV. So really just behind that. 

By my count right now, they are #2 and #3 AAV's given out to all FA's behind Foles, no? 

#566 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

By AAVs it looks like Trey Flowers got $18. Trent Brown got 16.5. Collins and Fowler (but Fowler won't count) got $14.

I doubt anyone other than Bell is going to top $17 mill from here, though I guess it's feasible that Thomas will. And I think Callahan stays in Chicago now that Amos left. 

#567 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:17 PM

Saffold signed with the Titans.

#568 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:44 PM

I'm always interested at this phase, it seems like the market has dropped out for a guy like Ingram, right? If you're the Ravens and you've made X offer, I'm always curious what the protocol is on lowering it. How much time do they give the players on these and how often or how quickly are teams willing to drop their offers.

You'd think some of the rush to sign revolves around teams backing out or revoking an offer at a moment's notice. 

Also, I can't believe ZDS got a $20 million signing bonus. That's just crazy. Good for him, though. But wow. 

Tennessee is going to be interesting next year. I was talking to a friend from Nashville that didn't know about my Ravens allegiance talking up Pees and how the reason they lost those two games in the middle of the year is that Pees had a health scare, went to the hospital mid-game and then missed the next game. He came back after that and things normalized. Considering they gave up 38 and 34 in those two games without him, it seemed as though there was some merit there. For the record, I still hate Dean Pees. 

#569 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,342 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:55 PM

By my count right now, they are #2 and #3 AAV's given out to all FA's behind Foles, no?

I think you're righton the numbers, but APY of the free agent class is not what matters. It's rank (of which APY is the biggest factor) compared to all contracts, new or old. Mosley and ZDS should be in well within the top 5% overall which appears to be the cutoff for 3rd round picks.
  • BSLJordanKough likes this

#570 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:12 PM

I think you're righton the numbers, but APY of the free agent class is not what matters. It's rank (of which APY is the biggest factor) compared to all contracts, new or old. Mosley and ZDS should be in well within the top 5% overall which appears to be the cutoff for 3rd round picks.

Stupid proprietary factors. I don't get why the NFL wouldn't disclose this formula? Maybe the players fought to prevent it from being disclosed so teams wouldn't use it to hold down potential numbers but at the end of the day, the team signing isn't giving anything up themselves, so I don't see why that would be the case. 

In the realm of sports, you'd think transparency of rules would be the priority. 

#571 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:27 PM

Schefter:

Former Patriots’ WR Cordarrelle Patterson intends to sign with the Chicago Bears for $5 million per year, per source.

He had been linked to the Ravens earlier in the week.

#572 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:52 PM

Good chart here:

https://twitter.com/...8838167552?s=21

#573 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,853 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

OBJ traded to the Browns. Let players know...discontent gets you dealt to CLE, BUF or OAK.

@JeremyMStrain

#574 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:03 PM

Notable FAs still available:

https://twitter.com/...581434213937153

Justin Houston would fill a need with a legit, though aging veteran pass rusher, but will probably cost you. Wouldn't count against comp picks.

Earl Thomas I've never felt was realistic, but with safety options running out quick, maybe they make a push for him.

If LeVeon Bell can be had for 11-12 APY, I'd jump all over that, especially if reports that he wants to play in Baltimore are true. You know he'd love to stick it to Pittsburgh.

@Bmore_Irish

#575 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,888 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:04 PM

lol browns give up a first second and jabril peppers. They got hosed

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#576 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:05 PM

Wow...OBj reunited with his best bud Landry.

That team has ridiculous star power right now.

#577 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:05 PM

OBJ traded to the Browns. Let players know...discontent gets you dealt to CLE, BUF or OAK.

Crazy news. But let's be honest, Cleveland is probably a better situation now than NYG.

• sandiegosean likes this

@Bmore_Irish

#578 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:06 PM

lol browns give up a first second and jabril peppers. They got hosed

They gave a third, not a second.

Good deal for both sides.

#579 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,853 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

Crazy news. But let's be honest, Cleveland is probably a better situation now than NYG.

I read earlier today an AFC North team was still after him, and at first I was like, Ravens?? Would be a good splash to get the new QB something to work with. Nah...not their style. PIT? Would be funny to see them replace AB with him, but they are too cheap. Gotta be CLE. I guess we are going to see if Baker is for real, super fast.

@JeremyMStrain

#580 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,888 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

They gave a third, not a second.

Good deal for both sides.

Yea I misread Schefter’s tweet