908 replies to this topic

#501 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:46 AM

The Bethel signing might only be a 1 week thing. N' Keal Harry is supposed to be ready for the Ravens game so there needs to be another roster switch.

#502 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:39 AM

Friend of mine brought that up today.

My response was simple...if they stop Lamar, they win...if they don’t, they won’t.

I don’t think Bethel does anything to change that.

NE values ST and he is really good. Sure, they may want some insider knowledge but I don’t think that’s the only reason they signed him. Their ST is 14th according to DVOA, so they could improve there.

I 100% believe Hoodie will be asking Bethel what kind of language to expect when Brady has the ball. Maybe a cue that Brady or the line may hear that can tip them off to the defensive playcall or the type of blitz coming. That information is invaluable.

#503 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

I 100% believe Hoodie will be asking Bethel what kind of language to expect when Brady has the ball. Maybe a cue that Brady or the line may hear that can tip them off to the defensive playcall or the type of blitz coming. That information is invaluable.

That's the joy of the bye. You get to change all of that. 

Also, I think the Ravens got Pees to give up what the Pats do in those situations and they know how to play the game in that regard. It's always felt to me like there has been no true BB edge against the Ravens during Harbaugh's run and I always attributed a lot of that to Pees. Now maybe it's changed some...

#504 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,421 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:55 AM

Ravens picked up the DB that the Pats cut, lol

Apparently Pats fans didn't think too highly of him

@gabefergy

#505 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:08 PM

Ravens picked up the DB that the Pats cut, lol

Apparently Pats fans didn't think too highly of him

Not a doubt in my mind that this is a tit for tat move.

#506 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,328 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:14 PM

Saw an interesting point on Twitter.

If you were going to cut Bethel, why not just wait until the Pats game?
@BSLRobShields

#507 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,297 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:00 PM

Saw an interesting point on Twitter.

If you were going to cut Bethel, why not just wait until the Pats game?

My guess is to avoid him getting hurt and then not being able to release him outright.  I'm thinking (I don't know) that anyone released with an injury settlement which accounts for time past Week 10 would count the same as if they were still on the roster.

#508 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:35 PM

My guess is to avoid him getting hurt and then not being able to release him outright.  I'm thinking (I don't know) that anyone released with an injury settlement which accounts for time past Week 10 would count the same as if they were still on the roster.

I think he gets an extra week of pay, too, since he joined a team NOT on bye this week.  Ravens probably doing him a solid, since they cut him through no fault of his own.

#509 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,297 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:42 PM

I think he gets an extra week of pay, too, since he joined a team NOT on bye this week. Ravens probably doing him a solid, since they cut him through no fault of his own.

Players get paid for bye weeks so that is not a factor.

His full Ravens salary was guaranteed when he was on roster week 1. So letting him go two weeks before week 10 may mean he gets double salary for two extra weeks. Though there was likely offsets in the contract that would make that moot and he won't get double pay.

#510 cprenegade

cprenegade

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:36 AM

The guy the Ravens might have gotten from the Pats went to the Cowboys.  Patriots traded Michael Bennett to the Cowboys for a 7th round pick.  I doubt the Pats would have dealt him to the Ravens, but it would have been a good fit for a cheap price.  The Ravens need someone who can rush the QB that opposing OCs don't laugh at.  As it is, the only way they get pressure is through the blitz.  Teams will exploit that with screens and short slants into the middle. 

#511 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,328 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:46 AM

Like has been said..just stop blitzing so much.

Drop back and cover guys.
@BSLRobShields

#512 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,328 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

CJ could go on IR for the Jets.

Comp pick looking likely to be a 4 and not a 3.
@BSLRobShields

#513 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

I still miss him and he wasn't worth what he got and I was an advocate to keep him before he hit the open market, but that being said, in some senses we dodged a big bullet here. It's ironically likely that our ILB corps even if we had resigned him would be exactly the same right now.

#514 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,328 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

I still miss him and he wasn't worth what he got and I was an advocate to keep him before he hit the open market, but that being said, in some senses we dodged a big bullet here. It's ironically likely that our ILB corps even if we had resigned him would be exactly the same right now.

Well you don’t know that he suffers the same injury if he was here.
@BSLRobShields

#515 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,297 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:49 PM

They've never revealed how much of a scale factor the playing time is to the APY rank.  There has to be a lower bound limit on it, because it's obviously not zero (if a guy misses the whole season, they still count in the math).  Overthecap's projected cutoff for 3rd/4th is the 96th highest ranked player.  CJ is really high up on the APY list with a $17M baseline.  Looking at the projections, I think h'ed have to count for under $11M APY after the playing adjustment to slide down to a 4th round pick. So if the lower bound is 66% or lower, then he could be in danger of falling to a 4th.

• BSLJordanKough likes this

#516 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

Ravens sign another guy off the Pats PS today. https://heavy.com/sp...amalu-patriots/

Interesting guy with 3 sacks in 15 games. 

Also interesting that he's expiremented on the edge some after being more of an interior guy. 

#517 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:19 PM

Ravens sign another guy off the Pats PS today. https://heavy.com/sp...amalu-patriots/

Interesting guy with 3 sacks in 15 games. 

Also interesting that he's expiremented on the edge some after being more of an interior guy. 

Wonder if it's also some gamesmanship.  Grab the guy off their PS that they'd like to promote since they traded Bennett...

#518 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:42 PM

He looks intriguing if he can become a OLB type so not sure. He definitely fits a need so seems like less gamesmanship, to me .

#519 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:45 PM

This is interesting...according to ESPN Pass Rush and Pass Block Win rates the Ravens are really good. 

https://www.espn.com...rwr-leaderboard

Stanley, Brown, Skura, Yanda all rank in the top 10 of T, G and C. No individual pass rusher made the list, they are the 2nd overall team in percentage. 

We've seen this stat in a few other places referencing pressures and the Ravens being highly ranked, too. 

Maybe Martindale is getting more pressures than we're giving him credit for...I for one have felt we should be blitzing less and dropping into coverage more...

#520 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:14 PM

He looks intriguing if he can become a OLB type so not sure. He definitely fits a need so seems like less gamesmanship, to me .

Well, since they signed him off the Pats PS, they have to keep him on the 53-man roster for 3 weeks at least.  He's a big DE/OLB type that they must like as a possible McPhee replacement, but I think there may have been a gamesmanship aspect to move on him quickly.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

JStruds, Slidemaster

Partners