The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,206 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:29 AM

From Z Smiths agent:

Four years, $66 million, $20 million signing bonus. $34.5 million in first 2 years. Let's go, @TheRealZSmith! #LegendsLiveHere #GoPackGo

Christ.

#502 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:29 AM

But I thought Boyle was going to be the best TE to hit the FA market according to Schefter, lol. Zero chance Boyle was ever going to get this kind of money out there on the market. So by free market standards, that was all hot air to begin with. 

I've come to terms with his deal, still think we overpaid a bit, and still think the rumors about Boyle and other team's love affairs was a bit overblown. 

Are you seeing what these TEs are getting? None of them are better than Boyle and they are getting paid equivalent or greater amounts. Boyle is easily the best blocker of them all. 

Buffalo gave Tyler Kroft more than Boyle got, I guarantee they would have preferred Boyle.

@gabefergy

#503 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:39 AM

Are you seeing what these TEs are getting? None of them are better than Boyle and they are getting paid equivalent or greater amounts. Boyle is easily the best blocker of them all. 

Buffalo gave Tyler Kroft more than Boyle got, I guarantee they would have preferred Boyle.

I'm not believing that either but maybe. We're talking about a guy with 75 catches and 610 yards in 4 years with no TDs in his entire career. 

Kroft had a year with 62 catches, 402 yards, and 7 TDs. That's what Buffalo paid for, IMO...

The Baltimore Boyle hype train is a little too full for me right now. 

Give me Michael Hoomanawanui for the league minimum and the $6 mill in cap space back. He's the classic blocking TE that's a threat but not a primary but can get down in the dirt and throw a block. Use the cap space on a playmaker...

• Ricker Says likes this

#504 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:43 AM

Also, the notion that Kroft got more is a bit misleading. They paid him $750,000 more in total but actually guaranteed him less money. 

And Kroft's deal looks much more like a 1-year deal. https://www.spotrac....oft-16809/ They have $5 million in cap savings by cutting him year 2. 

So in reality, I think Boyle got paid more than Kroft, if you look at the contract. If we gave Boyle Kroft's contract with $2 million more in year 3 non-guaranteed. I would have been cool with that deal. 

Don't be confused by the AAV's...Boyle's deal is much better. 

#505 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:46 AM

Also, the James contract at 4/25 at 6.25 AAV is right in line with Boyle too. So the structure of that deal could ultimately also be much more favorable to the team than Boyles. Have to wait and see on the numbers... but why are people acting like the AAVs in Kroft and James deal are bigger than Boyle's. They are all about the same. $6-6.25million AAV. $9-11 million guaranteed. 

#506 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:49 AM

Gipson to Houston. So another S bites the dust. Really 3-4 teams that would be looking for a top level S. 

With Weddle and Mosley gone it feels like HHCD, Thomas or Boston have to be a serious consideration, no? 

#507 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,206 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:53 AM

L. Bell has made his decision and will let us know...uh...very soon. 

• BSLJordanKough likes this

#508 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:56 AM

Also, the James contract at 4/25 at 6.25 AAV is right in line with Boyle too. So the structure of that deal could ultimately also be much more favorable to the team than Boyles. Have to wait and see on the numbers... but why are people acting like the AAVs in Kroft and James deal are bigger than Boyle's. They are all about the same. $6-6.25million AAV. $9-11 million guaranteed. 

Okay, but I would rather have Boyle than either given what the Ravens do on offense. He's a key cog in the Ravens run game, and he didn't get paid more than what other TEs are getting. 

He's not a big passing game threat, but he is a versatile and important blocker. 

@gabefergy

#509 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:00 PM

The idea that people are justifying paying a TE more than Boyle because they have 7 TDS in 4 years is funny to me.

Boyle has none..so what? TDs, especially if it’s just a few a year, can largely be a product of luck.

Boyle is kept in to block more than those guys in the red zone, thus the lack of TDs. It doesn’t mean he can’t do it.

#510 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:00 PM

Okay, but I would rather have Boyle than either given what the Ravens do on offense. He's a key cog in the Ravens run game, and he didn't get paid more than what other TEs are getting. 

He's not a big passing game threat, but he is a versatile and important blocker. 

That's fine but it's borderline misleading for everyone to get all pissy about "all the free agent money" going to TEs. When Boyle got the same with guarantees.

If you think Kroft and James are overpaid, Boyle is overpaid MORE because it's a shorter deal with less future team outs and the same guarantees. Particularly for Kroft but assuming the same for James.

#511 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:01 PM

John Brown gets 3/27 from the Bills.

That should net us a 4th round comp pick.

#512 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:03 PM

Also, the notion that Kroft got more is a bit misleading. They paid him $750,000 more in total but actually guaranteed him less money. 

And Kroft's deal looks much more like a 1-year deal. https://www.spotrac....oft-16809/ They have $5 million in cap savings by cutting him year 2. 

So in reality, I think Boyle got paid more than Kroft, if you look at the contract. If we gave Boyle Kroft's contract with $2 million more in year 3 non-guaranteed. I would have been cool with that deal. 

Don't be confused by the AAV's...Boyle's deal is much better. 

Boyle did get paid more than Kroft if you look at guaranteed money, but it's not a huge difference. Boyle's 2019  cap number is also $2M lower than Kroft's so even though it is a 2 year commitment for Boyle, the total value over the first 2 seasons is essentially equivalent...that is if the Bills keep Kroft after 1 season.

Tyler Kroft signed a 3 year contract with the Buffalo Bills on March 11, 2019 worth $18,750,000.  The contract includes $6.3 million guaranteed at signing with a total guarantee of $8.3 million.  Kroft has a $2 million (portion of P5 2020 salary) which guarantees into a full guarantee.  Kroft will earn a $2.1 million, $750k, $750k roster bonuses on the 5th day of each league year.

@gabefergy

#513 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:03 PM

The idea that people are justifying paying a TE more than Boyle because they have 7 TDS in 4 years is funny to me.

Boyle has none..so what? TDs, especially if it’s just a few a year, can largely be a product of luck.

Boyle is kept in to block more than those guys in the red zone, thus the lack of TDs. It doesn’t mean he can’t do it.

This is true but I view Kroft as a much better pass catcher than Boyle based on games against Cinci. Agreed it's not identical and hard to evaluate. 

But I still view what Kroft/James got as less than Boyle based on guarantees and deal length. That's my objection to it. I think Boyle could have been had a more team friendly deal even in the open market and I don't think either Detroit or Buff would have given Boyle the same structure as we did. 

I'm not trying to diss Boyle but I think there is some sleight of hand going on with evaluations of the TE market and their contracts right now. 

#514 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:04 PM

That's fine but it's borderline misleading for everyone to get all pissy about "all the free agent money" going to TEs. When Boyle got the same with guarantees.

If you think Kroft and James are overpaid, Boyle is overpaid MORE because it's a shorter deal with less future team outs and the same guarantees. Particularly for Kroft but assuming the same for James.

I don't think they are overpaid because that is clearly the market for a decent TE. Uzomah got a similar deal to stay in Cincinnati as well.

@gabefergy

#515 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

You can nitpick about a couple million in guaranteed dollars, but the reality is it's a 2 year deal for Boyle at what looks to be close to market value.

@gabefergy

#516 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

Boyle did get paid more than Kroft if you look at guaranteed money, but it's not a huge difference. Boyle's 2019  cap number is also $2M lower than Kroft's so even though it is a 2 year commitment for Boyle, the total value over the first 2 seasons is essentially equivalent...that is if the Bills keep Kroft after 1 season.

Which they only do if he puts up that 60/700/7 type season, which to be fair, would justify it.

#517 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:08 PM

You can nitpick about a couple million in guaranteed dollars, but the reality is it's a 2 year deal for Boyle at what looks to be close to market value.

Well I've said, I'd take Hoomanauwanui over Boyle at the minimum or really low no mutli-year commitment. I think Boyle's blocking has gotten a bit...hyped. I don't really want any of these TEs at these prices, and not particularly the one of any of them that you're locked into more than one year. 

#518 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:08 PM

Which they only do if he puts up that 60/700/7 type season, which to be fair, would justify it.

Maybe, but if he doesn't and they let him go, they just spent over $6M for 1 year of a mediocre TE. I get that the flexibility is a good thing, but in the end it's a very minor difference.

@gabefergy

#519 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:12 PM

Not sure if Bell is just trolling people now or what. A friend of his tweeted him asking if he could spill the beans to which Bell replied yes to. And he came back and said "a BIRD told him Bell would be a Steeler nevermore. Ask Edgar Allen Poe". To which Bell replied "well said"

#520 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,206 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:16 PM

Not sure if Bell is just trolling people now or what. A friend of his tweeted him asking if he could spill the beans to which Bell replied yes to. And he came back and said "a BIRD told him Bell would be a Steeler nevermore. Ask Edgar Allen Poe". To which Bell replied "well said"

That's Akbar G (former NFL player and HOST OF AMERICAN GLADIATORS), and that post was from a couple of days ago. 

Apparently the Jets upped their offer (and got more free money after Barr turned them down), so I'm THINKING NYJ, but we'll see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users