#461 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,835 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:33 AM

Agree, good time for the bye.  We should get Peanut, Smith and maybe Canady, back for the improving defense and Brown back for the offense.  Ravens are in good shape, right now in the division.

@mikeghg

#462 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

I'm highly concerned about McPhee. If he is out for a length of tiem, the pass-rush is going to be in a very bad place. 

@gabefergy

#463 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:39 AM

Ravens fell to 9th in DVOA this week. Offense is 4th and defense went down to 22. ST went from 1 to 3.

FWIW, Seattle is 7th...3rd on offense, 18th on defense and 28th in ST.

Ravens need to take advantage of that ST difference.

Ravens defense held up well against a top rated offense. And held them to 50 yards below their season average, and had the two forced turnovers. We were ranked 22nd going into the game, I bet that jumps with team adjustments getting stronger, too. 

In terms of yards per game, given that we had two games where we gave up 500 yards, I feel pretty good about a 13th ranked defense overall, too. The defense seems to have righted it self really quickly after getting gashed in those two games. 

#464 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:49 PM

Ravens defense held up well against a top rated offense. And held them to 50 yards below their season average, and had the two forced turnovers. We were ranked 22nd going into the game, I bet that jumps with team adjustments getting stronger, too. 

In terms of yards per game, given that we had two games where we gave up 500 yards, I feel pretty good about a 13th ranked defense overall, too. The defense seems to have righted it self really quickly after getting gashed in those two games. 

I would say more like 1 forced TO  :cool:

Still, the recovery of the Metcalf Fumble was just as impressive as actually knocking it out.

• Ricker Says likes this
@gabefergy

#465 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,079 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:51 PM

I would say more like 1 forced TO  :cool:

Still, the recovery of the Metcalf Fumble was just as impressive as actually knocking it out.

It didn't even look like it was knocked out, was it? I thought it just kinda slipped out due to the rain? But yeah, that recovery was crazy. I was also at a bar and didn't have good audio - when they reviewed it, was the fact that Thomas touched it before Humphrey why Humphrey was allowed to recover it given he had previously stepped out of bounds?

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#466 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:53 PM

It didn't even look like it was knocked out, was it? I thought it just kinda slipped out due to the rain? But yeah, that recovery was crazy. I was also at a bar and didn't have good audio - when they reviewed it, was the fact that Thomas touched it before Humphrey why Humphrey was allowed to recover it given he had previously stepped out of bounds?

He's allowed to re-establish as a defender, where as a offensive player cannot go out and be the first to touch it period. 

And yeah, the ball looked really wet yesterday. Russell was bad throwing it. Lamar wasn't good throwing it. The drops, the slipping. I think the drops from Andrews and the Metcalf fumble would be considered connected all in all. 

• Ricker Says likes this

#467 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:56 PM

yeah he just dropped it as he was trying to switch hands. Thomas made a savvy vet move to swat the ball as it was going out of bounds and then Humphrey had to get two feet in to establish himself regardless of whether Thomas touched it.

• Ricker Says likes this
@gabefergy

#468 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,217 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:59 PM

I'd love to know if Humphrey knew exactly what he was doing when he got two feet in bounds after going out before scooping the ball or if it was just the way it happened.  With most guys I'd assume it was just the way things unfolded, but Humphrey always seems to be able to describe the tiniest details of all the plays he's asked about, I think I could actually believe that he knew or suspected he had stepped out and intentionally made sure to put both feet down in bounds before picking up the ball.  All at high speed.  

• BSLGabeFerguson likes this

#469 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,245 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:12 PM

Ravens cut Bethel. Get 4th round comp pick back.

Surprised they cut him given how well he has done on ST.
@BSLRobShields

#470 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,217 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:22 PM

Can they resign him but still have him not count towards comp picks?  If so, they're essentially trading cap space (whatever they pay him to return...prorated minimum maybe) for the comp pick credit.

#471 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:26 PM

Brent Urban got released, so they were likely going to lose a comp pick.  Cutting Bethel avoids losing it.

#472 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:32 PM

I'd love to know if Humphrey knew exactly what he was doing when he got two feet in bounds after going out before scooping the ball or if it was just the way it happened. With most guys I'd assume it was just the way things unfolded, but Humphrey always seems to be able to describe the tiniest details of all the plays he's asked about, I think I could actually believe that he knew or suspected he had stepped out and intentionally made sure to put both feet down in bounds before picking up the ball. All at high speed.

We'll never know, but my bet is he was focused on the ball, not his steps.

#473 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:33 PM

Interesting. Think maybe s trade is in the works and needed space on the active roster?

#474 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:41 PM

Can they resign him but still have him not count towards comp picks? If so, they're essentially trading cap space (whatever they pay him to return...prorated minimum maybe) for the comp pick credit.

I dont believe so, but that is solely based on what I saw in twitter convos.
@gabefergy

#475 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:44 PM

Sounds like McPhee is done for the season. That's a big loss.
@gabefergy

#476 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:46 PM

The Ravens official site made it pretty obvious the Bethel move is likely for comp pick purposes:

"The Ravens have waived defensive back/special teams ace Justin Bethel, a move that likely gives Baltimore a fourth-round compensatory pick in next year’s draft.  Bethel had a team-leading six special teams tackles this season and was one of the Ravens’ best players on special teams after being signed as a free agent in March.  However, when the Tennessee Titans cut former Ravens defensive end Brent Urban over the weekend, it took away the fourth-round compensatory pick the Ravens acquired for losing wide receiver John Brown during free agency."

https://www.baltimor...t-justin-bethel

#477 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:46 PM

I agree, but the D really picked it up in the second half without him, so it may be ok.

#478 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,245 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:51 PM

I kind of figured this was going to be the case.

It’s very sad that losing him could be considered a big loss but I agree that it is.

Have to hope they can get a pass rusher in a deal.
@BSLRobShields

#479 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:31 PM

I kind of figured this was going to be the case.

It’s very sad that losing him could be considered a big loss but I agree that it is.

Have to hope they can get a pass rusher in a deal.

I'd like to think that this gives Jaylon Ferguson the motivation to take it to the next level.  I thought he played well on Sunday so maybe he can build on that.  

#480 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,687 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:36 PM

With McPhee definitively out... my hope is that makes them that much more inclined to go out and get what they need. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners