2489 replies to this topic

#421 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 602 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:42 AM

The Ravens have reportedly "upped their offer" to Mosley, although it's said to be still short of the Jets' offer, whatever all that means. What it does sound like is a bit of desperation on the part of the Ravens. According to Jeff Zrebiec, they were also surprised by Suggs' decision to leave.

You wonder if maybe the Ravens weren't caught off guard a bit by the early free agent feeding frenzy. Teams swimming in cap space are jumping in feet first, and the Ravens are not one of the teams in a position to try and keep up.

Suggs might have just wanted a season at his home. Likely his last.

Mosley seems to not want to leave. If the Ravens can come close he will take less to stay. I don't want them to overspend. He can be replaced by cheaper options until a draft pick is ready.

#422 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,369 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:00 AM

Mosley to the Jets, per Rapaport.

To put the C.J. Mosley numbers in perspective, Luke Kuechly’s contract with the #Panthers had stood for over 3 years as the bar for ILBs at $12.36M APY and $34.3M guaranteed. Mosley is getting $17M and $51M gtd from the #Jets per @RapSheet. Massive.

#423 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:00 AM

I know we weren't paying that, but him Weddle and Suggs are all gone.  Any leaders left on D?

#424 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,129 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:15 AM

Mosley to the Jets, per Rapaport.

To put the C.J. Mosley numbers in perspective, Luke Kuechly’s contract with the #Panthers had stood for over 3 years as the bar for ILBs at $12.36M APY and $34.3M guaranteed. Mosley is getting $17M and $51M gtd from the #Jets per @RapSheet. Massive.

Good lord.

Another reason why the Jets are always terrible.
@BSLMikeRandall

#425 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,129 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:18 AM

5/$85M. $51M gtd. Jesus.
@BSLMikeRandall

#426 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 602 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:19 AM

Wow, with that kind of money Jets fans will be all over him the 1st time a TE blows by him.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

#427 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:20 AM

Teams love to throw huge amounts of money at Ravens' defensive players with bad results usually.

#428 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,217 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:21 AM

Whew
@BSLRobShields

#429 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,217 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:22 AM

Jeff Z:

Ravens lose their top FA and another key member of their defense. At one point yesterday, Ravens’ offer was up to $14 mill per year. Not sure whether they got any higher.
@BSLRobShields

#430 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:27 AM

I like Mosley.   I think he's a quality player and person.  But, that is outrageous money for a guy who can't cover Betty White.   

I'll miss him, Suggs, and Weddle, but this team needs to get smarter on spending money and getting rid of older guys.   I'm OK with all of this, even if it hurts the team this season.

• BSLGabeFerguson, bmore_ken and Steve55 like this

#431 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,217 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:29 AM

Like someone said on Twitter, this is what happens when you have a QB on a rookie deal. It is also what happens as the salary cap keeps going up and up.

Hopefully the Ravens will be in the same position next offseason. Not that I want them to be stupid but you need to spend the money on something, that’s for sure.

For now, let’s get some of their own quality guys signed and plug holes with intelligent signings.
@BSLRobShields

#432 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,659 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:34 AM

Good lord.  Damn near twice what I'd be comfortable paying him.

#433 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,659 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:40 AM

I know we weren't paying that, but him Weddle and Suggs are all gone.  Any leaders left on D?

I've got no idea who the leaders are in the locker room or who will call plays, but we've still got Wiliams, Smith, Carr, Humphrey, Pierce, Young, Jefferson...lots of good defenders left.

• DuffMan likes this

#434 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:43 AM

I've got no idea who the leaders are in the locker room or who will call plays, but we've still got Wiliams, Smith, Carr, Humphrey, Pierce, Young, Jefferson...lots of good defenders left.

I would cut Smith myself, but that's just me.

#435 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,014 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:55 AM

Shouldn't be lost that the Ravens were willing to give CJ most ever at the position...just weren't going to jump into that Jets territory obviously.

I know these teams with huge cap dollars are motivated to spend...but NY seemingly just threw extra dollars out.

#436 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,659 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:01 AM

No ZDS rumors yet that I've heard.  Wonder if he stays reasonable and the Ravens bring him back now that they've struck out on retaining all their other guys (if they were interested).

#437 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:07 AM

No ZDS rumors yet that I've heard.  Wonder if he stays reasonable and the Ravens bring him back now that they've struck out on retaining all their other guys (if they were interested).

On some site he was listed as risky (Mosley too) because they would likely be overpaid.

#438 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:14 AM

I see no reason to believe arguably the best young pass rusher available in FA won't get stupid money, considering all the contracts we've seen so far. If the Ravens are able to bring back ZDS at anything close to being considered reasonable, that'd be incredible.

I'm not even sure who their top target may be at this point. Still a lot of safeties out there, but I have to believe the names that have been discussed here will be paid in the top of the range that's been set.

@Bmore_Irish

#439 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,369 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:30 AM

Still have this weird feeling they are going to sign Bell...

#440 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:31 AM

I like Mosley.   I think he's a quality player and person.  But, that is outrageous money for a guy who can't cover Betty White.   

I'll miss him, Suggs, and Weddle, but this team needs to get smarter on spending money and getting rid of older guys.   I'm OK with all of this, even if it hurts the team this season.

That's about how I feel about it. Decosta is going to have to nail this draft though.

• clapdiddy likes this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners