Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:22 AM

Really good Barnwell article

https://www.espn.com...hiefs-came-back

Houston gave that game back to KC. Tenn didn't try to.

#2463 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,621 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:51 AM

https://filmstudybal...ns-at-ravens-2/

Another thing you wouldn’t have thought from the game....Stanley playing terrible but yet, he did.
@BSLRobShields

#2464 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,351 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:59 AM

3 weeks between game action is too long.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#2465 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:57 AM

3 weeks between game action is too long.

I think I tend to agree with you on that.  Hard to believe a team can come out flat in the play-offs but that's what it looked like to me. There were a lot of things that happened that were just so uncharacteristic of this team that it makes you wonder.  If it is true, then that's on the coaching staff more than the players.  When the Titans scored to make it 14-0, for some strange reason I thought of that scene in Rocky I where Apollo Creed's manager is lecturing him between rounds and says, "he doesn't know it's a damn show! He thinks it's a damn fight!!"  There's a part of me that believes the Ravens bought into all the hype and thought Tennessee was going to be a minor nuisance en route to the Super  Bowl.  Harbaugh would never cop to that but I think it's pretty obvious what happened. 

• Ricker Says likes this

#2466 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,351 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:05 AM

Nice reference, hard to disagree. And I love Rocky. 

I think a lot of what this team does relies on rhythm and repetition. Three weeks between games is just too long. They didn't look fresh, they looked rusty.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#2467 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,021 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:15 AM

I'm certain Harbaugh will downplay any negative effects of the bye week and resting certain guys in Week 17 even when he's asked about it incessantly, which we will be.

But it will be really interesting to see what happens if they're in the same situation again next year or in the near future, locked into a seed with nothing to play for in week 17.

#2468 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,621 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:40 AM

I’m not sure if the extra rest hurt or not.

I thought it was a little odd how they practiced that first week.

Maybe that’s normal for the playoffs but not how you handle a normal bye week.

I said I thought they should play everyone in week 17 for some amount of time.

Personally, I would have rather seen them play the starters for about a quarter and then get everyone out..rest everyone for the beginning part of the bye week and then start practicing later that first week.
@BSLRobShields

#2469 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:12 AM

Personally, I would have rather seen them play the starters for about a quarter and then get everyone out..rest everyone for the beginning part of the bye week and then start practicing later that first week.

Valid points.   Plus, you have to remember that this was the first time the Ravens had ever had home field throughout the play-offs along with the bye.  It was all new territory for them and I suspect they didn't handle it well.  I don't know if you can even quantify how the extra rest affected their performance because there were so many things that went wrong.  That said, you better believe Steve Bisciotti will expect explanations about what happened.  

#2470 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:15 AM

Practicing the first week tells me Harbaugh was worried about the time off.
  • Mike B likes this

#2471 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,749 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:16 AM

Nice reference, hard to disagree. And I love Rocky. 

I think a lot of what this team does relies on rhythm and repetition. Three weeks between games is just too long. They didn't look fresh, they looked rusty.

I think the timing was off the entire game.  There were so many plays that seemed to just miss.  The Andrews deep route, that turned into the first turnover, the Roberts drop, that had he caught, he would have walked into the endzone for a 70 yard TD, the Hurst play late, where he did not seem like he knew it was coming, and all the running plays that seemed to be a half of tick off.  

I firmly believe that if either the Andrews deep route or the Roberts play, had gone the other way, the Ravens click and pull away from the Titans.

I also think that if we had played the starters a quarter, against the Steelers and a key player had gotten hurt, the complaining would have been just as loud.

Not sure what the answer is.

@mikeghg

#2472 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,749 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:17 AM

Practicing the first week tells me Harbaugh was worried about the time off.

Absolutely, but I think the worry about a needless injury, in the Steeler game outweighed the worry about rust.

@mikeghg

#2473 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,749 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:19 AM

The thing that keeps nagging me, is the feeling that if the Ravens and Titans played 10 times, the Ravens win 8.   Damn, we should be playing this week.

@mikeghg

#2474 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:24 PM

I'm certain Harbaugh will downplay any negative effects of the bye week and resting certain guys in Week 17 even when he's asked about it incessantly, which we will be.

But it will be really interesting to see what happens if they're in the same situation again next year or in the near future, locked into a seed with nothing to play for in week 17.

I'm not buying any negative affects of the bye week when the OC went pass happy and against everything the team had done for 16 games prior. This team wasn't built for 59 pass attempt games. 

#2475 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,633 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:30 PM

Harbaugh would have been absolutely (and rightfully) crucified if he had played Jackson at all in Week 17... even a Quarter, and Jackson had suffered some injury. 

But it's what we said at the time.   You take off that game, then you have the bye week....  you've changed out of your pattern, and that's a change. 

#2476 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:47 PM

Harbaugh would have been absolutely (and rightfully) crucified if he had played Jackson at all in Week 17... even a Quarter, and Jackson had suffered some injury. 

But it's what we said at the time.   You take off that game, then you have the bye week....  you've changed out of your pattern, and that's a change. 

You can't dismiss that it was a change, but the bigger change was the run/pass imbalance in the game. They were never that far behind that abandoning the run was a good plan. 

#2477 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,633 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

You can't dismiss that it was a change, but the bigger change was the run/pass imbalance in the game. They were never that far behind that abandoning the run was a good plan. 

No doubt.

#2478 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,515 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:13 AM

But it's what we said at the time. You take off that game, then you have the bye week.... you've changed out of your pattern, and that's a change.

He did play Flacco two drives in that 2012 Cincy game with the seeding wrapped up. Wild card game the next week though.

I think I would have prepared the team as if everyone was going to start. Then make Lamar and Co. inactive. That way the prep isn’t interrupted.
@BSLMikeRandall

#2479 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,021 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:54 AM

I think I would have prepared the team as if everyone was going to start. Then make Lamar and Co. inactive. That way the prep isn’t interrupted.

Do you mean to tell the players they are all starting all week long and then surprise everyone by making them inactive on gameday?  That seems like a potential way of getting guys not to trust you.

If you mean just having the regular starters practice all week even though they aren't going to play...isn't that what happened?  Or did guys like Lamar and Stanley and Thomas sit out practice that week?  I don't recall.  I know Lamar missed a few days with the flu but I thought that was during the bye week.

#2480 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,515 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:36 AM

Do you mean to tell the players they are all starting all week long and then surprise everyone by making them inactive on gameday? That seems like a potential way of getting guys not to trust you.

If you mean just having the regular starters practice all week even though they aren't going to play...isn't that what happened? Or did guys like Lamar and Stanley and Thomas sit out practice that week? I don't recall. I know Lamar missed a few days with the flu but I thought that was during the bye week.

Yeah that could be a downside.

I remember in 2012 Harbaugh was hush hush about it, Flacco started week 17 and then promptly sat. Maybe he told Joe but not the public he’d play two drives only. Which is fine.

Not gonna spectacular how they handled it. Or if rust was a factor. Mention in the round table that LSU went like a month between the SEC title game and the Semis, then two more weeks+ until the title game and spanked both teams. IIRC Five of the last six SB winners had the bye. So...they just didn’t show up. Plain and simple
@BSLMikeRandall

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners