2489 replies to this topic

#2421 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:22 AM

"You don't ever expect to get into a car crash until you get in a car crash," linebacker Matthew Judon said. "And I feel like that's what it is."

No one could have seen this coming. Very good article here.

https://www-espn-com...hy-sports-cruel

#2422 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:17 AM

They basically lost the turnover battle 5-0.

First pick ended a drive that probably would have ended in at least 3 and gave the Titans a confidence boost after the raucous crowd start and a punt on their first possession.

Another pick killed a similar drive where the Ravens were moving and approaching at least FG range.

The fumble... ugh.

The first 4th and 1 failure was no different than a fumble at the LOS, and TEN treated it as teams OFTEN do with takeaways near midfield (actually in Ravens territory)... right away took a deep shot and scored.

The other 4th and 1 failure passes on 3 points.

My only concern was repeating the Jan 2007 game vs IND... and that's pretty much EXACTLY what they did. You can't kills three drives with turnovers, and two more with turnover on downs... and get ZERO takeaways yourself... and manage to beat anybody.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#2423 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:44 AM

This is my least favorite season in team history.

Genuinely.

#2424 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,204 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:23 AM

I'm not a Football fan generally, but had an absolute blast watching and rooting for this team this season. 

Thanks fellas!

• Ricker Says and DJ MC like this
@beginthebegin71

#2425 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:18 AM

2019, the year the Ravens took their fans' Souls.

#2426 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:39 AM

Christ. You’re worse than 2007 era NewMarketSean. 

go have a drink. 

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLRobShields, glenn__davis and 3 others like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2427 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:51 PM

Speak for yourself, not the entire fanbase. Ravens are a young team with an MVP QB and a good bit of money to spend. DeCosta has proven so far that he is up to the task. Ravens upgrade their whole LBer squad and get Lamar a WR that can get open and actually catch passes when it matters, this is a very dangerous team.

#2428 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,899 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:57 PM

Speak for yourself, not the entire fanbase. Ravens are a young team with an MVP QB and a good bit of money to spend. DeCosta has proven so far that he is up to the task. Ravens upgrade their whole LBer squad and get Lamar a WR that can get open and actually catch passes when it matters, this is a very dangerous team.

He’s having a pity party.
@BSLRobShields

#2429 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:13 PM

None of that means anything until Lamar proves he can win in the playoffs. And, I bet Lamar himself would tell you the same thing.

#2430 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:14 PM

He’s having a pity party.

It's not a pity party. It's just the cold hard realization that this team can't be trusted until they prove otherwise.

#2431 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:00 PM

It's not a pity party. It's just the cold hard realization that this team can't be trusted until they prove otherwise.

Other than perhaps the Montana/Young 49ers, most teams that could be labeled "dynasties" failed on their first or even multiple attempts. The Steelers of the 70s got bounced their first two trips, as did the Dolphins of the same era. The Aikman/Emmitt/Irvin Cowboys got hammered their first time out, while New England won a Super Bowl in 2002, then failed to even qualify the following season.

Hell, even the Lombardi Packers lost their first playoff game. Could they not be trusted?

#2432 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:01 PM

Other than perhaps the Montana/Young 49ers, most teams that could be labeled "dynasties" failed on their first or even multiple attempts. The Steelers of the 70s got bounced their first two trips, as did the Dolphins of the same era. The Aikman/Emmitt/Irvin Cowboys got hammered their first time out, while New England won a Super Bowl in 2002, then failed to even qualify the following season.

Hell, even the Lombardi Packers lost their first playoff game. Could they not be trusted?

They are 2 for 2 with playoff eggs. They are literally bating .000. Until they prove they can do it, I'm not going to assume they can.

#2433 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

There really isn't anything incorrect about saying that a team has a ceiling until they push through that ceiling. It's about taking what you already achieved and building on it through improvements in talent and scheme and experience. Sometimes teams can do that, and sometimes they can't.

@DJ_McCann

#2434 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,899 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:33 PM

Yea, it’s fair to say they need to prove they can win in the playoffs.

I think using last year as a barometer is poor given the circumstances but it’s obviously fair after last night.
@BSLRobShields

#2435 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,556 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:48 PM

Something to be said for getting the #1 seed. Lamar is 0-1 while Tannehill is 2-0. If the Ravens had to beat Buffalo last week, making Lamar 1-1 this year, (but maybe 10-6 regular season) then the “cant win a playoff game” argument falls apart. But his greatness is why they got to start two games away from the Super Bowl instead of three.

There’s a reason Flacco has a number of playoff records. Lots of road games. Hardly any division titles.
@BSLMikeRandall

#2436 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

Something to be said for getting the #1 seed. Lamar is 0-1 while Tannehill is 2-0. If the Ravens had to beat Buffalo last week, making Lamar 1-1 this year, (but maybe 10-6 regular season) then the “cant win a playoff game” argument falls apart. But his greatness is why they got to start two games away from the Super Bowl instead of three.

There’s a reason Flacco has a number of playoff records. Lots of road games. Hardly any division titles.

Maybe. There's no guarantee they win in the wild card round.

As I said in the other thread, some guys just can't play under pressure. I'm afraid Lamar might be one of them. All the regular season greatness in the world means nothing if they don't result in titles.

#2437 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

They basically lost the turnover battle 5-0.

First pick ended a drive that probably would have ended in at least 3 and gave the Titans a confidence boost after the raucous crowd start and a punt on their first possession.

Another pick killed a similar drive where the Ravens were moving and approaching at least FG range.

The fumble... ugh.

The first 4th and 1 failure was no different than a fumble at the LOS, and TEN treated it as teams OFTEN do with takeaways near midfield (actually in Ravens territory)... right away took a deep shot and scored.

The other 4th and 1 failure passes on 3 points.

My only concern was repeating the Jan 2007 game vs IND... and that's pretty much EXACTLY what they did. You can't kills three drives with turnovers, and two more with turnover on downs... and get ZERO takeaways yourself... and manage to beat anybody.

The 4th down attempt at mid field in the first half is the one that I think turned the game.  And I know they have been doing that and making it all year long.  I heard it during the broadcast, in the post game show, this morning.....yeah, yeah, yeah.  Nobody is going to convince me that all those successful coaches that basically reject going on 4th down at that point in favor of playing field position are wrong.  You are right when you say that it was just as bad as a turnover.  That directly led to 7 points for Tennessee and that's when you could see Tennessee gaining confidence and the Ravens starting to panic.  If the game plays out the same way without that short field, maybe the Ravens are only down 7-6 at half, and it would have never been more than a two score game. Maybe they wouldn't have felt they needed to abandon the run.  I've said all year that consistently going for it nearly anywhere on the field was going to cost them one day and I feel it did last night.  On the second one I would have taken the FG to cut it to 14-9, but at least that was deep in Tennessee territory.  The first attempt was just plain stupidity, imo.   

• russsnyder likes this

#2438 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:11 PM

The 4th down attempt at mid field in the first half is the one that I think turned the game. And I know they have been doing that and making it all year long. I heard it during the broadcast, in the post game show, this morning.....yeah, yeah, yeah. Nobody is going to convince me that all those successful coaches that basically reject going on 4th down at that point in favor of playing field position are wrong. You are right when you say that it was just as bad as a turnover. That directly led to 7 points for Tennessee and that's when you could see Tennessee gaining confidence and the Ravens starting to panic. If the game plays out the same way without that short field, maybe the Ravens are only down 7-6 at half, and it would have never been more than a two score game. Maybe they wouldn't have felt they needed to abandon the run. I've said all year that consistently going for it nearly anywhere on the field was going to cost them one day and I feel it did last night. On the second one I would have taken the FG to cut it to 14-9, but at least that was deep in Tennessee territory. The first attempt was just plain stupidity, imo.

Yeah, I'm with you on both 4th down plays. Punt the first, FG the second, and manage the feel of the game a little more. That's where I just feel like John falls a little short at times. Yes, the final score wasn't exactly close, but I believe a few plays could have significantly changed the overall flow of the game... limited TEN's growing confidence a little bit, kept their defense guessing a little more, kept the running game relevant longer, etc.
  • cprenegade likes this

#2439 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:23 PM

The 4th down attempt at mid field in the first half is the one that I think turned the game. And I know they have been doing that and making it all year long. I heard it during the broadcast, in the post game show, this morning.....yeah, yeah, yeah. Nobody is going to convince me that all those successful coaches that basically reject going on 4th down at that point in favor of playing field position are wrong. You are right when you say that it was just as bad as a turnover. That directly led to 7 points for Tennessee and that's when you could see Tennessee gaining confidence and the Ravens starting to panic. If the game plays out the same way without that short field, maybe the Ravens are only down 7-6 at half, and it would have never been more than a two score game. Maybe they wouldn't have felt they needed to abandon the run. I've said all year that consistently going for it nearly anywhere on the field was going to cost them one day and I feel it did last night. On the second one I would have taken the FG to cut it to 14-9, but at least that was deep in Tennessee territory. The first attempt was just plain stupidity, imo.

I completely agree. Momentum is very key and this game played out much like the KC game did. We played like we were desperate the entire game and it backfired. Absolutely no need to go for it on your side of the field and risk going down 14-0. Just punt and play your game. Major momentum switch right there.

Then we drive 90 yards, take up almost half the quarter and kick a fg. Get the kickoff and drive deep again. Their defense at that point had been on the field for almost a qtr straight. Just kick the fg, cut it to 14-9 and that crowd goes wild when the defense gets on the field. Instead of grabbing that momentum we get stuffed and run off the field empty handed. Tennessee takes advantage of it and pretty much puts the game away.

Sometimes the risk isn't worth the reward and I felt like there was no need to play in panic mode on those two 4th downs. Sure it worked a lot in the regular season but I think those were bad decisions by Harbaugh.
  • cprenegade and mdrunning like this

#2440 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,126 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:36 PM

There will definitely be a significant story about Lamar in the playoffs next year. I think the Ravens will likely be really good again next year, but until he wins a postseason game that will be the story around him even if he has a MVP level season again next season. Even once he gets that first win, the story will remain until he wins a few.

It's a thing now, unfortunately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners