• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#101 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:51 PM

Good post.

I agree. IMO, I don't equate questioning Jackson's overall skill set as a QB to having an agenda. He has had accuracy and ball security issues. Those are absolutely areas of concern.

As you state, the kid has a great work ethic and the team responded well to him running the offense last season. He is one of the most dynamic players I have ever seen at the NFL level.

Further, I really don't see the point in rehashing what games Joe would have potentially won last season. He was injured and Jackson won the job. All the speculation in the world won't change the fact that the Ravens won the AFC North with Jackson under center.

Questioning and even doubting is fair enough and to be expected, what I reject is assuming that he can't improve, do the job and win games. Experts have this assumption that if a guy hasn't learned or done something, then he can't or won't do it. Yes, he has to prove it.

I thought it was remarkable how the team played behind Jackson at QB last season. I've heard the defense was rested due to time of possession, but I really saw the team invigorated. Lamar is just flat out electrifying.

I always liked Flacco and supported him for years, expecting last year it was going to come together for him, but he legitimately played himself out of the job, especially when the LJ led team won the division. I don't doubt his effort or desire, but I sure didn't see much intensity or hunger. I hope he does well in Denver; I have no interest in the Broncos, but I might watch some.

#102 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,827 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:42 PM

Big eyeroll at that description of Joe. That he struggled a lot over the last few years is inarguable. That he didn't give full effort is inflammatory and I think a wildly inaccurate perception.

Agree 100 %, IMO, Joe's effort was never in question.  

Bottom line,he is in Denver.   Lamar is our QB.  Let's stop the Joe talk and concentrate on the new QB.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#103 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,827 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:48 PM

I went out to practice today, (my 3rd) and it wasn't one of Lamar's best.but he is throwing better.  At times today, he looked bored. and had a bad pick to Levine that went for 6, but it felt like a play that Levine knew was coming.

He did make some nice throws to Boykin, and one to Scott.  He seems to be throwing better than last year.

• BSLJordanKough likes this
@mikeghg

#104 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,827 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:34 AM

One thing that stands out from watching practices and last weeks pre-season game is that Miles Boykin makes plays

@mikeghg

#105 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:39 AM

One thing that stands out from watching practices and last weeks pre-season game is that Miles Boykin makes plays

Can't wait to see what Brown does.

• Mike B likes this

#106 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

What's interesting to me about Brown and Boykin is that we can actually bring them along slowly. There are myriad reasons this is smart. With Brown recovering he's going to need to get into shape and probably be slowly brought along. You can package him in 5-10 plays the first 2-3 weeks, and then up that 5 plays per game each 2-3 weeks. It's also going to relieve some of the pressure on these guys as rookies, too. 

I'm curious about the roster squeeze at WR will post some thoughts on the bubble thread, too. 

#107 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

What's interesting to me about Brown and Boykin is that we can actually bring them along slowly. There are myriad reasons this is smart. With Brown recovering he's going to need to get into shape and probably be slowly brought along. You can package him in 5-10 plays the first 2-3 weeks, and then up that 5 plays per game each 2-3 weeks. It's also going to relieve some of the pressure on these guys as rookies, too. 

I'm curious about the roster squeeze at WR will post some thoughts on the bubble thread, too. 

Its starting to look like they want Boykin to be the lead guy.

#108 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 580 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:25 PM

Outside of his size I am hearing nothing but good things about Brown. He has quickness and another gear that we haven't had around here. He and Boykin look like helluva draft picks in DeCosta's 1st year at the helm.

#109 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,827 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

Can't wait to see what Brown does.

My son went to the last open practice on Tuesday and saw Brown.  He said he caught a slant and just exploded.   His comment, there is fast and then there is Hollywood Brown.

@mikeghg

#110 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,827 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

Its starting to look like they want Boykin to be the lead guy.

I think the hope this year is to field a diverse group and then see who emerges.

My eyes, tell me Boykin is good.

@mikeghg

#111 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:34 PM

It certainly makes sense to bring the rookies along gradually (after preseason), but in the meantime you need a go-to guy that the QB comes to count on. Willie Snead has been reliable in that role, but he's usually underneath. Boykin seems like a deep threat who can also make the contested catches. The tricky thing for this passing offense (especially if the emphasis is on the running game) is to get touches for everyone while you find who is hot. Justice Hill can catch and run, and our TE corps is mighty; it wouldn't bother me to see lots of double TE plays. But even with all that, Boykin looks like a big target.

#112 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:48 AM

Billick must have an agenda against Lamar.

He predicted just under 2800 yards passing, 14 TDs, 7 INTs and a 58% completion%.

I didn't see the rushing stats.

@BSLRobShields

#113 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

Billick must have an agenda against Lamar.

He predicted just under 2800 yards passing, 14 TDs, 7 INTs and a 58% completion%.

I didn't see the rushing stats.

He just took his rookie stats and doubled them to show what his production would have been last season over a full 16 games at the rate he was producing.

I'd say 2800 and 14 TDs over 16 games this season is low. Barring injury, I'd expect him to be over 3000 yards and around 20 TDs.

#114 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,795 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:05 PM

He just took his rookie stats and doubled them to show what his production would have been last season over a full 16 games at the rate he was producing.

I'd say 2800 and 14 TDs over 16 games this season is low. Barring injury, I'd expect him to be over 3000 yards and around 20 TDs.

I think he'll pass 3,000 pass yards but breaking 20 TD's passing is asking for too much.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#115 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,934 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:49 PM

Lamar Jackson will be a pro bowler this year.

Carry on.
@BSLMikeRandall

#116 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

Carry on.

If the Ravens are good, he’s an MVP candidate.

He probably has a very high prop bet to win MVP. Could be worth throwing some money down on it.
@BSLRobShields

#117 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

That's exactly what he did but he did follow up and say that he "expects his numbers to be north of there."

I'm just hoping that Brown and Boykin can be big contributors. Most of the attention is on Lamar but we really need those two to bud into very productive receivers if not stars.

#118 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,827 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:19 PM

Carry on.

From your keyboard to god's ears.

@mikeghg

#119 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

I think he'll pass 3,000 pass yards but breaking 20 TD's passing is asking for too much.

I said around 20. In the 17-20 range. I don't think that's asking too much. His running ability mixed with Ingram being the hammer should open up passing lanes.

#120 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:06 AM

https://www.sharpfoo...-lamar-jackson/

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users