210 replies to this topic

#81 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:37 PM

Just so I'm translating this correctly...agenda = racist, right?

Really?

#82 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:41 PM

6 this season. haha

Small sample size, but he did seem to throw with better mechanics. Kept a wider base, seemed to have a tighter, more compact throwing motion. Good velocity and good tight spin on his passes last night. We'll see what happens in a full game though. Players tend to regress back to bad habits under pressure. Hopefully he maintains what he's changed.

He was actually pretty critical of himself last night. He focused on the passes he missed vs the positives. Seemed to be mad he threw behind Boykins twice.

If Lamar doesn't succeed, it won't be for lack of effort. I love the kids work ethic and effort towards perfection. Also a breath of fresh air dealing with a QB with a personality after a decade of Flacco.

They showed  a shot of him talking to some kids in the stands. I was loving that. I don't know who had the bigger smiles, the kids or him.  :cool:

#83 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:04 PM

Flacco looked blah to me his last few seasons. He never really turned it on until close to or in the playoffs. The effort just wasn't there. You'd watch a regular season game and it be 3rd & 5 and with open field in front he'd throw into a crowd. Playoff time he'd run for the 1st down to keep the drive alive.

At least what I've seen of Jackson is he's a gamer. He wants to keep the team moving.

#84 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:18 PM

Big eyeroll at that description of Joe. That he struggled a lot over the last few years is inarguable. That he didn't give full effort is inflammatory and I think a wildly inaccurate perception.
  • BSLRobShields, Hooded Viper, Mike B and 1 other like this

#85 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,427 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:01 PM

Big eyeroll at that description of Joe. That he struggled a lot over the last few years is inarguable. That he didn't give full effort is inflammatory and I think a wildly inaccurate perception.

One of the many inaccurate myths about Joe.
@BSLRobShields

#86 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:48 PM

Well, that'd be none - given it's, you know, the offseason.

I've been to a couple of practices and there's plenty of video out there.

#87 cprenegade

cprenegade

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:52 PM

I really don't get why questioning Lamar Jackson automatically equals an agenda.  Most people have given their reasons and they are solid reasons to at least be skeptical.  His college passing was inconsistent and he failed to complete more than 60% of his passes.  His mechanics look awkward at times.  He fumbled in every NFL game he started.  He was terrible in a playoff game that just about any other QB could have won based on the defensive performance that day.  That doesn't mean he won't get better, but it does give people a reason to have some doubts.  If it's an agenda, then it's an agenda that 31 other NFL teams also had as they passed up on the chance to draft him.  Maybe he proves all the critics wrong.  If so, good for him.  One thing the critics can't bash him on is his work ethic and desire.  And if that means something, he will prove them wrong.  But it's not an agenda.  If he didn't come out of college with some serious doubts, he would have been a top 10 pick based on his athleticism alone, instead of being the 5th QB taken with the final pick of the first round.  I just don't see why making a critique labels someone as "having an agenda."  Time will tell what Jackson ultimately becomes.  

Now, on another note I have noticed a definite disagreement in what people are seeing from the local media and the national media.  I did not see very much of the game last night.  I only saw a little bit where McSorley threw a terrible interception.  I did see the defense pretty much destroying Jacksonville's offense at that point.  But this is what I read today.  Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger and it speaks to how many mixed signals are out there.  

Ravens offense bland in presason opener

One thing became clear in Baltimore’s preseason opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars. They were not going to show their hands as it relates to offensive coordinator Greg Roman’s new offense. Lamar Jackson led the team to 10 points on three drives, completing 4-of-6 passes for 59 yards and a touchdown in the process.

For his part, Jackson continued to struggle with ball placement. He threw the ball late on a consistent basis and was about as inaccurate as we saw during Baltimore’s off-season program. It might now be time for the Ravens to temper expectations. We’ll see over the final three preseason games heading into Week 1.

https://sportsnaut.c...son-nfl-action/

• Ricker Says and russsnyder like this

#88 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:44 AM

I really don't get why questioning Lamar Jackson automatically equals an agenda. Most people have given their reasons and they are solid reasons to at least be skeptical. His college passing was inconsistent and he failed to complete more than 60% of his passes. His mechanics look awkward at times. He fumbled in every NFL game he started. He was terrible in a playoff game that just about any other QB could have won based on the defensive performance that day. That doesn't mean he won't get better, but it does give people a reason to have some doubts. If it's an agenda, then it's an agenda that 31 other NFL teams also had as they passed up on the chance to draft him. Maybe he proves all the critics wrong. If so, good for him. One thing the critics can't bash him on is his work ethic and desire. And if that means something, he will prove them wrong. But it's not an agenda. If he didn't come out of college with some serious doubts, he would have been a top 10 pick based on his athleticism alone, instead of being the 5th QB taken with the final pick of the first round. I just don't see why making a critique labels someone as "having an agenda." Time will tell what Jackson ultimately becomes.

Now, on another note I have noticed a definite disagreement in what people are seeing from the local media and the national media. I did not see very much of the game last night. I only saw a little bit where McSorley threw a terrible interception. I did see the defense pretty much destroying Jacksonville's offense at that point. But this is what I read today. Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger and it speaks to how many mixed signals are out there.

Good post.

I agree. IMO, I don't equate questioning Jackson's overall skill set as a QB to having an agenda. He has had accuracy and ball security issues. Those are absolutely areas of concern.

As you state, the kid has a great work ethic and the team responded well to him running the offense last season. He is one of the most dynamic players I have ever seen at the NFL level.

Further, I really don't see the point in rehashing what games Joe would have potentially won last season. He was injured and Jackson won the job. All the speculation in the world won't change the fact that the Ravens won the AFC North with Jackson under center.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#89 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:45 AM

I really don't get why questioning Lamar Jackson automatically equals an agenda. Most people have given their reasons and they are solid reasons to at least be skeptical. His college passing was inconsistent and he failed to complete more than 60% of his passes. His mechanics look awkward at times. He fumbled in every NFL game he started. He was terrible in a playoff game that just about any other QB could have won based on the defensive performance that day. That doesn't mean he won't get better, but it does give people a reason to have some doubts. If it's an agenda, then it's an agenda that 31 other NFL teams also had as they passed up on the chance to draft him. Maybe he proves all the critics wrong. If so, good for him. One thing the critics can't bash him on is his work ethic and desire. And if that means something, he will prove them wrong. But it's not an agenda. If he didn't come out of college with some serious doubts, he would have been a top 10 pick based on his athleticism alone, instead of being the 5th QB taken with the final pick of the first round. I just don't see why making a critique labels someone as "having an agenda." Time will tell what Jackson ultimately becomes.

Now, on another note I have noticed a definite disagreement in what people are seeing from the local media and the national media. I did not see very much of the game last night. I only saw a little bit where McSorley threw a terrible interception. I did see the defense pretty much destroying Jacksonville's offense at that point. But this is what I read today. Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger and it speaks to how many mixed signals are out there.

Of course there are general concerns. There are two different conversations going on here. Lamar is not a finished product nor is he guaranteed anything. That's not the conversation. Having doubts or concerns about Lamar is different from wishing for him to fail. We can argue all day about this and we probably will but you better believe that there are those that fall into that category.

National media or not I have not heard anyone describe Lamar's passes the other night as inaccurate. I don't know who that writer is but he sounds way off base.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#90 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:51 AM

One of the many inaccurate myths about Joe.

Let's see how it plays out this year in Denver.

#91 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,683 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:57 AM

He’ll be lucky to start all 16 games in Denver and he’s got worse WR there then he did here.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#92 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

How would what he does in Denver this year show that he was or was not giving full effort over the last few years here?

#93 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:55 AM

He’ll be lucky to start all 16 games in Denver and he’s got worse WR there then he did here.

I'd definitely argue that Emmanuel Sanders, Courtland Sutton, DeSean Hamilton and Noah Fant are better than what Flacco had here.

#94 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:47 PM

How would what he does in Denver this year show that he was or was not giving full effort over the last few years here?

See if his enthusiasm for the game is still there or just goes thru the motions.

#95 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:41 PM

See if his enthusiasm for the game is still there or just goes thru the motions.

And you can tell that by watching on Sundays?

#96 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:57 PM

With some people yes. With Flacco, no. He's stoned faced no matter what.

#97 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:02 PM

I watch from my seat every Sunday since 1996.

#98 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:07 PM

Jackson's always going to have the occasional pass that leaves your head shaking, especially when he's running around on a broken play.  It is what it is.  But he's GOT to minimize the turnovers and that means holding on to the ball when he's making a move.  He did some great things with the offense last year but the fumbles were disconcerting to say the least.  That's got to stop if he plans on taking his game to the next level. 

#99 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

I watch from my seat every Sunday since 1996.

As do I and I never thought that Joe was not giving his best effort.

The man stayed in the damn game, with a blown ACL/MCL.

Joe is in Denver.  Let's worry and watch the players that are here

@mikeghg

#100 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:30 AM

As do I and I never thought that Joe was not giving his best effort.

The man stayed in the damn game, with a blown ACL/MCL.

Joe is in Denver. Let's worry and watch the players that are here

Amen sir. Good luck to Flacco, but I couldn't care less what he does this season unless we face the Broncos in the playoffs.
  • ravens82 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners