• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#61 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,540 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:49 AM

Ravens hadn’t gone 6-1 in 7 straight games since SB47. Yes, the defense was playing well, but to say they would have “easily” done something they hadn’t done in 5 seasons does not make sense to me.

I'm a Flacco fan, and think it's plausible that the Ravens go 6-1 down the stretch last year with him... better passing game, team healthier, easier schedule, reliant on the defense.... but I agree with you that Jackson and the improvement in the running game was a huge part. The Ravens were a horrible running team (and there was no commitment to running) with Flacco at QB in '18. I think the gains in the running game helped the defense. 

That said, Gabe used the wording, "... could have easily...",  not 'would have easily," and there are big differences in the choice of could or would. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#62 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:50 AM

You don’t need as good a run game to win games.

Zero doubt in my mind the passing game is way better with Joe.

Yes. I have no doubt the run game is better with Lamar.

And the run game was non-existent with Flacco. I'd rather be able to run it down teams throats, vs passing 50 times a game. Especially with a qb that became very average over his last couple of seasons.

You can win football games with an average passer if you can run the ball like the Ravens did. You can't win very many games with no running game and throwing 40+times a game with an average passer.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#63 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,540 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:53 AM

Yes. I have no doubt the run game is better with Lamar.

And the run game was non-existent with Flacco. I'd rather be able to run it down teams throats, vs passing 50 times a game. Especially with a qb that became very average over his last couple of seasons.

You can win football games with an average passer if you can run the ball like the Ravens did. You can't win very many games with no running game and throwing 40+times a game with an average passer.

Well, we don't know if after losing 3 straight and having the bye, if MM's dumbass would have been reigned in some and they would have run it more.

Remember, they also had Collins who was out of shape and, reportedly, not caring as much.   

I said last year that if the game plan coming back was going to be more of the same, I am fine with Joe not playing...not because I had lost faith in Joe but just that you can't win that way(as you said).

But, had they committed to the run more and Joe stayed healthy, not only do I think they could have gone 6-1, I think they stood a way better chance at winning playoff games.

@BSLRobShields

#64 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,824 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:05 AM

Ravens hadn’t gone 6-1 in 7 straight games since SB47. Yes, the defense was playing well, but to say they would have “easily” done something they hadn’t done in 5 seasons does not make sense to me.

But that's exactly what they did... with a rookie QB that can't throw.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#65 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

Agreed. With Flacco in it would have still been the pass happy game plan that wasn't working. The schedule and defense played a part, but the run game was equally responsible for that 6-1 stretch and that wasn't just LJ.

#66 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:03 AM

I don't think the plan was to play Lamar for the rest of the season but it worked so well they couldn't go back to Flacco. That being said, Joe sucked in that Steelers game and after I left the stadium that day I was ready for any other qb to take over.

#67 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,714 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:13 AM

But that's exactly what they did... with a rookie QB that can't throw.

Not many rookie QBs "can" throw or are asked to throw a lot. Especially ones who are thrown into the starting position in the middle of the season. Flacco wasnt asked to throw during his rookie year either, and his first 7 starts look a lot like Lamar's passing-wise, and Flacco didn';t run like Lamar.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#68 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

I'm a Flacco fan, and think it's plausible that the Ravens go 6-1 down the stretch last year with him... better passing game, team healthier, easier schedule, reliant on the defense.... but I agree with you that Jackson and the improvement in the running game was a huge part. The Ravens were a horrible running team (and there was no commitment to running) with Flacco at QB in '18. I think the gains in the running game helped the defense. 

That said, Gabe used the wording, "... could have easily...",  not 'would have easily," and there are big differences in the choice of could or would. 

Look, Flacco was the best QB the Ravens have ever had.  I have his jersey.  From 2008-2014 he was, if not consistently "elite", absolutely clutch when it mattered most.  It's not that I don't love Flacco, but he had declined the last 3 seasons.  There's plenty of arguments to be made about a lack of playmakers and an offensive system that didn't play to his strengths.  But he was not the same, either.   Clearly the Ravens thought they had a better chance with a very green Lamar over a declining Flacco.  I happen to agree.

Maybe he'll have a great season in Denver and prove that it was the circumstances and not his decline that led to mediocrity.  The Ravens might have traded him a year too early.  But once they picked Lamar to start over a healthy Flacco, he deserved a chance to start elsewhere.

• bmore_ken likes this

#69 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:49 AM

Not many rookie QBs "can" throw or are asked to throw a lot. Especially ones who are thrown into the starting position in the middle of the season. Flacco wasnt asked to throw during his rookie year either, and his first 7 starts look a lot like Lamar's passing-wise, and Flacco didn';t run like Lamar.

You hit the nail on the head. Some people act as if he was horrible throwing the ball when his numbers under the circumstances say otherwise. I just don't get this claim that he won't get any better. Some people aren't even giving him a chance.

#70 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,824 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:56 AM

You hit the nail on the head. Some people act as if he was horrible throwing the ball when his numbers under the circumstances say otherwise. I just don't get this claim that he won't get any better. Some people aren't even giving him a chance.

He was terrible as a passer. He made some throws that made me wish Kyle Boller were back there at times. Overall he was really good. He changed the offense and optimized the roster for success. But I just don't believe in him as a passer... yet. Hoping for the best, I like Lamar a lot actually. I also am honest about who he is as of now. We'll see. I'm tired of these little swipes just for being honest though. It's already beyond old.
  • Mackus likes this
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#71 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,891 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:14 PM

Just so I'm translating this correctly...agenda = racist, right?

#72 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:01 PM

I don't think that has anything to do with it. At least not here. Guys just don't like being wrong. They pride themselves on their football knowledge, and from what they've seen they don't think Lamar is good at passing the football.

As far as agenda, I assume he means that there are people out there that would rather be right and see Lamar fail than be wrong and have him succeed.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#73 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,714 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:19 PM

He was terrible as a passer. He made some throws that made me wish Kyle Boller were back there at times. Overall he was really good. He changed the offense and optimized the roster for success. But I just don't believe in him as a passer... yet. Hoping for the best, I like Lamar a lot actually. I also am honest about who he is as of now. We'll see. I'm tired of these little swipes just for being honest though. It's already beyond old.

Boller? Come on man.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#74 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:55 PM

If we're being honest some of his passes "looked horrible" but if we judge him by his overall numbers he did not have a bad season for a rookie qb thrown in there at midseason. I think most people feel like his passing numbers were 2nd only to Mayfield's of the 5 first round qb's.

His mechanics need more work and I'd expect a few more "horrible looking" passes this season but I expect a lot more good than bad as he continues to develop.
  • Ricker Says likes this

#75 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:05 PM

I'm sure that could be the case for some but what I suspect the most is that there are people upset about Flacco losing his job.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#76 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,824 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:11 PM

I'm sure that could be the case for some but what I suspect the most is that there are people upset about Flacco losing his job.

I don't think this is true. I for one am relieved to no longer be burdened by his salary. Love Joe and all he did here, but I'm glad we moved on. I'm just not sold on Jackson moving forward though. Would be a total gamechanger for the outlook of this organization if he really puts it together though.

#77 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

I don't think this is true. I for one am relieved to no longer be burdened by his salary. Love Joe and all he did here, but I'm glad we moved on. I'm just not sold on Jackson moving forward though. Would be a total gamechanger for the outlook of this organization if he really puts it together though.

I don't know what qb some people have been watching this offseason but Lamar looks just fine throwing the ball to me. I expect him to be one of the more dynamic qb's in the league this year, especially if our rookie wr's play well.

#78 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,540 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:50 AM

I don't know what qb some people have been watching this offseason but Lamar looks just fine throwing the ball to me. I expect him to be one of the more dynamic qb's in the league this year, especially if our rookie wr's play well.

How many throws have you seen Lamar make?
@BSLRobShields

#79 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,824 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:55 AM

Well, that'd be none - given it's, you know, the offseason. 

• Mackus likes this

#80 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:33 AM

How many throws have you seen Lamar make?

6 this season. haha

Small sample size, but he did seem to throw with better mechanics. Kept a wider base, seemed to have a tighter, more compact throwing motion. Good velocity and good tight spin on his passes last night. We'll see what happens in a full game though. Players tend to regress back to bad habits under pressure. Hopefully he maintains what he's changed.

He was actually pretty critical of himself last night. He focused on the passes he missed vs the positives. Seemed to be mad he threw behind Boykins twice.

If Lamar doesn't succeed, it won't be for lack of effort. I love the kids work ethic and effort towards perfection. Also a breath of fresh air dealing with a QB with a personality after a decade of Flacco.
  • bmore_ken and ravens82 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners