#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,599 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:35 PM

One thought to help everyone keep their sanity.  Don't read too much into the pre-season.  Ravens are going to keep the clubs in the bag, until Miami

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#22 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:12 PM

One thought to help everyone keep their sanity.  Don't read too much into the pre-season.  Ravens are going to keep the clubs in the bag, until Miami

You know that's not going to happen, right?

#23 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:55 AM

One thought to help everyone keep their sanity. Don't read too much into the pre-season. Ravens are going to keep the clubs in the bag, until Miami

Very true but unless everyone watching Lamar practice (including myself) is completely wrong he is very capable of being a productive qb moving forward. It's gonna be fun watching the naysayers squirm all season but more than likely they'll continue to magnify every mistake he makes because they have an agenda. Like I said that rhetoric is old and tired and I'm ready to sit at M&T and cheer on the team with the "true" Ravens fans.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,892 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:58 AM

Very true but unless everyone watching Lamar practice (including myself) is completely wrong he is very capable of being a productive qb moving forward. It's gonna be fun watching the naysayers squirm all season but more than likely they'll continue to magnify every mistake he makes because they have an agenda. Like I said that rhetoric is old and tired and I'm ready to sit at M&T and cheer on the team with the "true" Ravens fans.

I'm skeptical that Lamar will be able to pass well enough to take advantage of all of his other skills.  He may be able to.  He may not.  I'm willing to hand the reins to him and find out.  But I'm skeptical.

That makes me not a true Ravens fan?  That's a pretty obnoxious opinion.

• BSLRobShields, Hooded Viper and BSLGabeFerguson like this

#25 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:59 AM

I'm skeptical that Lamar will be able to pass well enough to take advantage of all of his other skills. He may be able to. He may not. I'm willing to hand the reins to him and find out. But I'm skeptical.

That makes me not a true Ravens fan? That's a pretty obnoxious opinion.

Only those with an agenda.

#26 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:07 AM

Oh you mean like those who had an agenda against Joe??  

• BSLRobShields likes this

#27 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,542 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:25 AM

What agenda would that be?

Enlighten all of us with your bs..please.

I’m really looking forward to your well thought out and 100% accurate answer to this.
@BSLRobShields

#28 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,714 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:50 AM

I'm skeptical that Lamar will be able to pass well enough to take advantage of all of his other skills.  He may be able to.  He may not.  I'm willing to hand the reins to him and find out.  But I'm skeptical.

That makes me not a true Ravens fan?  That's a pretty obnoxious opinion.

I feel the same way but I think the success of this offense is gonna be based more on the system and the playcalling than what Lamar can or can't do in the passing game.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,892 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:10 AM

I feel the same way but I think the success of this offense is gonna be based more on the system and the playcalling than what Lamar can or can't do in the passing game.

I think it'll be possible for the offense to be decent even if Lamar struggles passing, because of his skills as a runner combined with the system you mention.

But I think for it to be a good offense, Lamar will have to be close to a league average passer, which I didn't see from him last season.  Obviously he's young and he's talented and he's a hard worker so improvement should be expected.  Just how much improvement is the big question mark.  If Lamar does reach a league average level of throwing the ball or better, I think it could be a good to very good offense and combine that with the other units that I think are already very good or better and the team could have a really impressive record.

• BSLGabeFerguson likes this

#30 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:13 AM

Exactly. He's not going to be Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, but he doesn't need to be to succeed. Dammit I said I was going to avoid LJ discussions until the regular season started :-| 

#31 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,714 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:29 AM

I think it'll be possible for the offense to be decent even if Lamar struggles passing, because of his skills as a runner combined with the system you mention.

But I think for it to be a good offense, Lamar will have to be close to a league average passer, which I didn't see from him last season.  Obviously he's young and he's talented and he's a hard worker so improvement should be expected.  Just how much improvement is the big question mark.  If Lamar does reach a league average level of throwing the ball or better, I think it could be a good to very good offense and combine that with the other units that I think are already very good or better and the team could have a really impressive record.

If he can average 200 yds a game passing and limit turnovers, I think this offense can be dangerous.

Something along the lines of 3,200 yds, 18 TD, 10 INT.

Thinking he rushes for 800 yds, 10 TD and the rushing game adds another 25 TD.

Limiting turnovers is the biggest worry I have with him.

But that would be 3.3 TD's from the offense a game, not including FGs and any defensive TDs we score.

• bmore_ken likes this

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#32 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

What agenda would that be?

Enlighten all of us with your bs..please.

I’m really looking forward to your well thought out and 100% accurate answer to this.

I'm guessing he is speaking of the people that have been against Lamar from day one. The people that say he's never going to be a legit QB, even though he is just entering his sophomore season.

I have no doubt there are people just waiting for him to fail so they can yell I told you so. Basically the same thing that happened to Flacco the last few seasons.

I was always a Flacco fan. What he dealt with from fans the past few years was unfair. He definitely regressed, but he is also, bar none, the best Ravens QB ever. Their was no appreciation for what he did here at the end.

Now people are doing it to Lamar. They're not even giving him a chance. It's sad. Because if he does what I think hes capable of, becomes an above average or better passer, he instantly becomes a cheat code for the Ravens. IF. He has a long way to go, but IF he reaches his full potential, the Ravens will have the most unique superstar to ever play the QB position.

#33 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,542 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM

I'm guessing he is speaking of the people that have been against Lamar from day one. The people that say he's never going to be a legit QB, even though he is just entering his sophomore season.

I have no doubt there are people just waiting for him to fail so they can yell I told you so. Basically the same thing that happened to Flacco the last few seasons.

I was always a Flacco fan. What he dealt with from fans the past few years was unfair. He definitely regressed, but he is also, bar none, the best Ravens QB ever. Their was no appreciation for what he did here at the end.

Now people are doing it to Lamar. They're not even giving him a chance. It's sad. Because if he does what I think hes capable of, becomes an above average or better passer, he instantly becomes a cheat code for the Ravens. IF. He has a long way to go, but IF he reaches his full potential, the Ravens will have the most unique superstar to ever play the QB position.

No one wants him to fail. We all want success.

But doubting him based off of lots of info isn’t having an agenda. It’s a stupid word to use and it shows a lack of intelligence and understanding of what people are saying.
@BSLRobShields

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,892 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:28 AM

If he can average 200 yds a game passing and limit turnovers, I think this offense can be dangerous.

Something along the lines of 3,200 yds, 18 TD, 10 INT.

Thinking he rushes for 800 yds, 10 TD and the rushing game adds another 25 TD.

Limiting turnovers is the biggest worry I have with him.

But that would be 3.3 TD's from the offense a game, not including FGs and any defensive TDs we score.

Turnovers (mainly fumbles), accuracy, and injuries are my concerns for Lamar.  

I don't really have any numbers in mind for Lamar, I think it'll be more of a general feel of how well he's throwing week to week rather than wanting to tick off any particular stat thresholds.  That said, I think your numbers feel high.  If the offense can score 53 TDs we're gonna get a bye.  Only the Chiefs, Saints, and Rams scored more than that last year.  35 rushing TDs would be the 2nd highest team  total in NFL history.

I think if the team can score 40+ touchdowns we'll win the division.  Had 37 last year.  I expect a lot from the defense and special teams, so if the offense is middle of the pack or better, I think the team will be really good.

#35 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,714 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:38 AM

Turnovers (mainly fumbles), accuracy, and injuries are my concerns for Lamar.  

I don't really have any numbers in mind for Lamar, I think it'll be more of a general feel of how well he's throwing week to week rather than wanting to tick off any particular stat thresholds.  That said, I think your numbers feel high.  If the offense can score 53 TDs we're gonna get a bye.  Only the Chiefs, Saints, and Rams scored more than that last year.  35 rushing TDs would be the 2nd highest team  total in NFL history.

I think if the team can score 40+ touchdowns we'll win the division.  Had 37 last year.  I expect a lot from the defense and special teams, so if the offense is middle of the pack or better, I think the team will be really good.

They probably are high. I misread the rushing TD total from last year. We had 19 rush TDs but 6 were from Lamar. I thought the 6 Lamar rush TD were separated out so I thought the RBs scored 19 last year and could score 25 TD in 2019 in addition to Lamar's 10.

So take out 6 TD. That's still 47 TD and just under 3 a game.

#36 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:11 PM

No one wants him to fail. We all want success.

But doubting him based off of lots of info isn’t having an agenda. It’s a stupid word to use and it shows a lack of intelligence and understanding of what people are saying.

I disagree. I wholeheartedly believe their is a small minority of Ravens "fans" that would rather be able to pump their chest and say they were right, than have Lamar succeed.

You, personally, I think you want him to live up to his full potential and be a star. But you're more pessimistic on him than most. Not a problem. I get it personally. To me, Lamar is a true 50/50 lottery ticket. I don't blame the Ravens for taking the chance. Honestly, I could see him completely bombing and setting us back, and I could also see him exploding and becoming a superstar.

I, personally, am high on him. He has the drive, work ethic, football IQ and talent to succeed. When someone has all of the talent and ability, along with the willpower and work ethic to be great, I tend to point my needle on the optimistic side of things.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#37 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,714 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:13 PM

I have a friend calls himself a Ravens fan who would get more personal joy out of Lamar failing that he would from Lamar being good and the Ravens being a playoff team.

#38 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:27 PM

Who the shit wants him to fail?  Where is Shack to tell these people how to fan?

@fuzydunlop

#39 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,542 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:43 PM

There may be people that would rather see him fail than see the Ravens become a middling team that is going no where.

But I don’t believe that people would rather see him fail than see the Ravens become legit SB contenders.

And if that person (or people) exist, they don’t exist here and they certainly aren’t worth anyone’s time to discuss their take on things.

But I don’t believe knight85 understands the difference.

@BSLRobShields

#40 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:55 PM

There may be people that would rather see him fail than see the Ravens become a middling team that is going no where.

But I don’t believe that people would rather see him fail than see the Ravens become legit SB contenders.

And if that person (or people) exist, they don’t exist here and they certainly aren’t worth anyone’s time to discuss their take on things.

But I don’t believe knight85 understands the difference.

The Ravens were a middling team going nowhere for 3 straight seasons.  It would have been a 4th season, if throwing Lamar in the mix hadn't shaken things up enough for a 6-1 run to win the division and make the playoffs.

I see the team as a playoff contender right now, that has the potential to be a SB contender in a couple of years.  Jackson's development as a QB is key to that.   Sometimes, on Internet forums, the line between 'skeptical about his ability to develop' and 'rooting for him to fail to be proven correct' is not easy to see.

• bmore_ken likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners