210 replies to this topic

#181 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:57 AM

That play put me in mind of the Mahomes pass that beat us last year.  QB and receiver in perfect sync.  

I think the Ravens left a lot of clubs in the bag last week, scheme wise.  I am anxious to see more.

I think that this is the part that excites me the most about the Lamar era.

We know this team can pound it, can get it between and outside the tackles and just attack you on the ground if they let you. Short 3rd and less conversions with a deeper drop defense, will the Ravens still be willing to run or throw the quick hitters if teams are showing a lot of guys in the box and then still dropping deep. Though you'd think a little PA and more deep shots would neutralize the ability to do that in a hurry. 

#182 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,552 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:04 PM

I can’t stop watching the week 1 highlights. So beautiful.
  • The Epic likes this

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#183 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,420 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:34 PM

I can’t stop watching the week 1 highlights. So beautiful.

I go back and forth trying to decide what was the best play.

I think the slant for the TD is what scares opposding DC's more, because that is the play that forces the team out of the 8 man box.  

As a fan, the play to Boykin and the 83 yard bomb are the highlights.

@mikeghg

#184 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:35 PM

I go back and forth trying to decide what was the best play.

I think the slant for the TD is what scares opposding DC's more, because that is the play that forces the team out of the 8 man box.
As a fan, the play to Boykin and the 83 yard bomb are the highlights.

If we were playing the Pats this week, I would almost guarentee you we'd see a similar gameplan like they had when we had Torrey. They'd line Gilmore up on him in press man, and have a safety over top in bracket coverage.

It is going to be extremely important for Boykin, Snead, Andrews and Hurst to continue to prove they can beat single coverage, or find the holes in the zones. Hollywood may be ignored for a few weeks, but if he makes a handful of plays like he just did, he'll be a focal point of DC's.

#185 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:42 AM

I think that this is the part that excites me the most about the Lamar era.

We know this team can pound it, can get it between and outside the tackles and just attack you on the ground if they let you. Short 3rd and less conversions with a deeper drop defense, will the Ravens still be willing to run or throw the quick hitters if teams are showing a lot of guys in the box and then still dropping deep. Though you'd think a little PA and more deep shots would neutralize the ability to do that in a hurry.

We might have discovered an offense that's indefensible almost by mistake. We know the Ravens can ground and pound teams into submission based on last year alone. If you throw in Hollywood, Boykin and Snead deep and Andrews and Hurst in the midrange I don't know how a defense stops them. And then you have Lamar in the background who at times might be the best runner on the field and it becomes impossible to defend. I think we're in for a very entertaining season.
  • St.Steveg and JStruds like this

#186 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,777 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:26 AM

The big key is that Lamar continues to throw well, especially down field.

If he does that, the offense will be tough to stop because of how good the run game will be.

Need improvement from the Oline as well.

But yes, this offense has always had a scary upside IF Lamar could throw it well.

One week down and things look good. But it is only one week and it was against one of the worst teams ever assembled. He made the throws, which is all that matters but still, we obviously need to see it over s much larger sample size.
@BSLRobShields

#187 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:59 AM

As far as Lamar being pressured at the 6th highest rate last week, I wonder how much of that can be attributed to the type of passes being thrown. I seem to remember him having quite a bit of time, which allowed him to stand in the pocket and drop those dimes down the field. There were two pressures in particular that seemed to get home pretty quick, forcing him to move.

If the amount of pressure is more of an indictment on the line than a side effect of the downfield passing, that's a reason for concern moving forward. Even next week against Arizona they should see a stronger pass rush with Jones and Suggs. I'm hopeful, and suspect, it had something to do with Lamar knowing he could sit in the pocket longer while deeper routes developed.

@Bmore_Irish

#188 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:49 AM

When Murray and Jackson stand on opposite sidelines of M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore on Sunday (1 p.m. ET, Fox), they'll be representing the evolution of the dual-threat quarterback. They're not running quarterbacks. They're quarterbacks who can run. The distinction is important.

"It's gone on forever, that's always been the thought," Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said. "If somebody comes along that proves that wrong, then a lot of people are wrong and people don't like being wrong. I think that's where that stands currently."

https://www.espn.com...dual-threat-qbs

#189 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:20 AM

On Sunday, Jackson became the first player in league history to throw for at least 270 yards and run for 100 yards in a game.

https://www.google.c..._jackson&sr=amp

#190 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:47 AM

I don't want to alarm anyone, but our qb with accuracy issues has completed over 70% of his passes through two games. :cool: 

#191 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 523 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:08 AM

I don't want to alarm anyone, but our qb with accuracy issues has completed over 70% of his passes through two games. :cool:

He had several overthrows yesterday. The biggest was missing a wide open Andrews, but got it all back on the 40 yrd pass to Brown.

#192 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,552 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:27 AM

Every QB misses on some passes. Lamar looked great so far.

Next week is a test, but I have high hopes for him based on what I've seen so far.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#193 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,559 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

Another big game for Lamar. Not perfect like last week, but what QB has ever had multiple perfect weeks in a row?

Loving the decision making, both throwing and when deciding to take off, and the accuracy so far. Should be in line for a third big week in a shootout with KC's shoddy defense.

#194 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

He had several overthrows yesterday. The biggest was missing a wide open Andrews, but got it all back on the 40 yrd pass to Brown.

Yep, no qb has ever overthrown a receiver in the history of the game except LJ :mrgreen: 

#195 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,777 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:47 AM

Through 2 games, Lamar is a completely different player than last year, at least with his arm.

The Lamar of 2018 had no chance to make this team a contender in the long run. 

The Lamar of 2019, so far, is an MVP candidate. 

Its a small sample so far, so we need to see how he keeps developing but you have to love the hard work this kid put in during the offseason and even beyond the hard work, he showed how coachable he is and how he is willing to make changes despite being a success so far in his football life.

That shows a lot of maturity.  

Never really questioned too much about him in terms of intangibles but all of this solidifies that.

@BSLRobShields

#196 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,209 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:23 AM

Through 2 games, Lamar is a completely different player than last year, at least with his arm.

The Lamar of 2018 had no chance to make this team a contender in the long run. 

The Lamar of 2019, so far, is an MVP candidate. 

Its a small sample so far, so we need to see how he keeps developing but you have to love the hard work this kid put in during the offseason and even beyond the hard work, he showed how coachable he is and how he is willing to make changes despite being a success so far in his football life.

That shows a lot of maturity.  

Never really questioned too much about him in terms of intangibles but all of this solidifies that.

I think this is correct. Lamar looks like a completely different QB than he did in 2018. Everything seems to have slowed down for him which is exactly what you would hope to see for a QB starting his second season. 

I still expect there to be some hiccups, but it really is a combination of a lot of different elements that have come together to make this hot start happen.

Lamar has clearly put in tons of work on his mechanics and it seems that he has complete control of the offense. Greg Roman has done an incredible job of designing an offense to fit Lamar's talents, and we are seeing the investment the Ravens have made in offensive players come to fruition. 

The best part is there is still room for improvement. Lamar missed some throws/plays this week and you could see the frustration he felt. He wants to make every single play, and that is a great thing.

@gabefergy

#197 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 281 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:44 AM

The improvement in Lamar's passing game is pretty dramatic.  Statistics show that most QBs improve from their rookie seasons to their 2nd year, but Lamar appears to have a taken a big leap.

With the defense looking more vulnerable than last year (the secondary was not very impressive vs. AZ), the Ravens need Jackson to continue to play at a high level against tougher competition.

#198 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,777 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

https://twitter.com/...7370695682?s=20

@BSLRobShields

#199 hallas

hallas
  • Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:04 PM

https://twitter.com/...7370695682?s=20

I wonder what his running numbers are like against blitzes.  Not that he isn't doing a lot just with his arm, but blitzes usually leave running lanes open for mobile QBs.

#200 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,777 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:56 AM

2 straight games where Lamar did nothing passing the ball through the first 3 quarters.

I think we need to discount the stats vs Miami.  They are total garbage and really aren't an NFL team at this point.

If you take game away, Lamar has a 61% completion% (thats about 4 points worse than his actual completion%).   His YPA is 6.9 (8.3 is his overall number).  To put that in perspective, Flacco (dubbed Capt Checkdown) was usually in the 6.5 area the last 5 years. He has 5 TDs and 2 INT.  (he has 10 passing TDs overall).  His QBR is 66.7 (74.8 overall) and his rating is around 90 (its 109 overall).

Now, I am really happy with those numbers even when you take away the Miami game and obviously, this doesn't include his running stats.  So, I am no way bashing him.  If he can be a 61% completion% guy, I will be pretty happy right now.  It needs to get better as he plays more but I would take that for 2019.  However, I do think we need to understand that we all got so excited after seeing him against Miami that we need to pull the reigns in some on him and still see that this is a guy with a lot to work on (which he knows and is seemingly doing).  

We also can't have him just putting up garbage 4thQ stats to make his numbers look better.  There is definitely some of that in this from the last 2 weeks.  He needs to be better earlier in the game.  

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners