#2 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:26 PM

It would be nice to see them continue to use PA at a high rate. And hopefully they'll go to it early and often, since it's been proven time and again now that it's not necessary to establish the run first in order for play action to be effective.

Of course, we know they're going to lean on the run heavily anyway, and considering how much they lined up in pistol formation with Jackson last season, I could see that working in their favor.

• BSLZackMoore likes this

@Bmore_Irish

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,558 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:18 PM

Run it well, throw it ok, play really good to great defense, have great ST.

Pretty much the same plan as most recent years. Difference from Joe to Lamar is you feel more confident in the run game because of Lamar's own abilities combined with what defenses have to do to key on him but less confident in passing game for similarly obvious reasons.

If Lamar meets or exceeds expectations/hopes throwing the ball, we will likely be a playoff team. If he disappoints, we likely will not.
  • Ricker Says and BSLZackMoore like this

#4 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

I think the only difference might be if the ground game really gets it going and is just flat out elite on their own (maybe Powers is great at LG, or Skura makes huge strides at C to make this happen) we could still get to the playoffs without elite passing. 

I think maybe a 2% chance of other worldly running game is enough offense to get us to the playoffs. And a 3% chance the defense is so great it carries a really bad offense to the playoffs. The latter might be a bit higher, if we just really go into full ball control mode and reduce turnovers, too. 

• BSLZackMoore likes this

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,558 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:35 PM

I don't think we need anywhere near elite passing to get to the playoffs.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#6 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:51 PM

I don't think we need anywhere near elite passing to get to the playoffs.

Yeah, elite shouldn't have been the word I used...agreed. Slightly above average? 

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,558 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:12 PM

Yeah, elite shouldn't have been the word I used...agreed. Slightly above average?

I think even below average passing should be good enough to get us 9-10 wins, IMO.

If Lamar is actually good or even just above average throwing the ball I think the sky is the limit.
  • Ricker Says and BSLZackMoore like this

#8 BSLZackMoore

BSLZackMoore

Ravens (Cap) Analyst

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 01:58 PM

I think even below average passing should be good enough to get us 9-10 wins, IMO.

If Lamar is actually good or even just above average throwing the ball I think the sky is the limit.

Agree. This is an exciting roster and Lamar just need to be above average, which is very possible via expected second year improvements in a player who has continued improving and Roman running the most efficient offense for the personnel, and the team is a serious Super Bowl contender. I'm excited to see it play out this season. 

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,419 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:47 AM

A friend went to the practice against Jax yesterday and came back raving about Lamar.  He said he wast throwing very well.

@mikeghg

#10 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

A friend went to the practice against Jax yesterday and came back raving about Lamar. He said he wast throwing very well.

The kid threw for almost 10k yards and like 70 TDs in 3 years at Louisville. The kid can throw the ball. He just needs consistency. If he can consistently hit in the intermediate range outside the numbers (his weakest spot), he'll be a superstar.

#11 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,776 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

Ty Detmer was a dominant college QB. Huge numbers.

In other words, that means very little.
@BSLRobShields

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,419 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:52 AM

Ty Detmer was a dominant college QB. Huge numbers.

In other words, that means very little.

I admit to being worried about whether Lamar can develop into an effective passer, and I know you do not think he will be successful, but comparing him to Detmer, is not fair.  Detmer, never could make a team change their defenses to scheme for him.  Successful or not, Lamar is going to keep opposing DC's awake at night.

He is also going to win games on his incredible athletic ability.

@mikeghg

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,776 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

I admit to being worried about whether Lamar can develop into an effective passer, and I know you do not think he will be successful, but comparing him to Detmer, is not fair.  Detmer, never could make a team change their defenses to scheme for him.  Successful or not, Lamar is going to keep opposing DC's awake at night.
He is also going to win games on his incredible athletic ability.

I am in no way comparing him to Detmer.

I’m saying bringing up big college stats means nothing.

Schools like Hawaii and texas Tech routinely put up major QB stats and outside of Mahomes, those schools aren’t producing pro QBs.

In his day and age of spread offenses and college teams not playing defense, big time college stats mean very little and they certainly don’t prove that the “kid can throw the ball”....at least not proof he can do it well at this level.
@BSLRobShields

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,776 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:14 AM

https://en.wikipedia...g_yards_leaders

https://en.wikipedia...chdowns_leaders

@BSLRobShields

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,419 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

I am in no way comparing him to Detmer.

I’m saying bringing up big college stats means nothing.

Schools like Hawaii and texas Tech routinely put up major QB stats and outside of Mahomes, those schools aren’t producing pro QBs.

In his day and age of spread offenses and college teams not playing defense, big time college stats mean very little and they certainly don’t prove that the “kid can throw the ball”....at least not proof he can do it well at this level.

I agree with the point of college stats.  At this point the arguments over Lamar are as tired as the arguments about Joe, good or bad.

My feeling and it has been the same, is that people are making judgments based on the visions of how he would do in a normal offense.

I think that is wrong.  This offense is going to be different.

We will know soon.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#16 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,548 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:21 PM

Are the Ravens actually becoming a “system offense” team?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

If they are it beats the "Flacco throwing 50 passes a game" offense

#18 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:02 PM

I agree with the point of college stats. At this point the arguments over Lamar are as tired as the arguments about Joe, good or bad.

My feeling and it has been the same, is that people are making judgments based on the visions of how he would do in a normal offense.

I think that is wrong. This offense is going to be different.

We will know soon.

You could have stopped with "it's tired."
Anyone who's questioning Lamar at this point either isn't paying attention or just flat out has an agenda. I find that rhetoric a waste of time.

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,419 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:16 PM

It certainly seems that way and it may be a lot of fun.

@mikeghg

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,776 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:15 PM

You could have stopped with "it's tired."
Anyone who's questioning Lamar at this point either isn't paying attention or just flat out has an agenda. I find that rhetoric a waste of time.

lol...this is a moronic Statement.

Literally every ranking of QBs has Lamar well into the 20s.

Scouts across the league are definitely unsure about him.

His own damn team is hesitant to have him be a “throwing QB” and yet you think all of them aren’t paying attention?

Lol...really, if anyone isn’t paying attention, it’s you.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners