BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,087 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:57 AM

Deified-Dozen-2019-Week-10a.jpg

https://www.baltimor...l-week-10-poll/

Week 10 only saw one big game that was sure to impact our rankings, and that was Georgia defeating Florida in their annual border rivalry. The win put the Bulldogs at #6, back on the doorstep of the Top 4. Meanwhile Florida likely saw it's Playoff hopes end and dropped to #10. Oregon and Utah also moved up one spot each as they scored important wins on the road against tough conference opponents. With half of the Dozen having a bye, there wasn't much else to talk about in Week 10. Of course the big conversation following this week will be the release of the first College Football Playoff rankings. How close will the Deified Dozen voters be to the Playoff committee? History says we will have some differences (some maybe a surprise), but I think it'll be pretty close.

What Week 10 may have lacked in noteworthy matchups, Week 11 should make up for. For starters, there is the much anticipated #1 vs #2 face-off when LSU travels to Alabama. The Tide are early TD favorites in Vegas, and if Tua Tagovailoa is healthy, that might be about right. If he isn't, might want to think about taking the underdog Tigers. The other head-to-head matchup will see #5 Penn State travel to Minneapolis to take on #12 Minnesota. This will be the Gophers' first real test of the season, and that it comes agains the 5th ranked team in the country is a tough way to try to get a barometer on them; but it's a great opportunity for the Gophers to show they are for real. No other games jump off the screen, but at this time of year upsets always seem to lurk somewhere. Keep an eye on #9 Oklahoma hosting Iowa State. The last time the Cyclones went to Norman, in 2017, they left with a win.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#143 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:58 AM

Anyone want to make predictions as to how our rankings will compare with the first Playoff rankings?

#144 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,193 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:26 AM

Anyone want to make predictions as to how our rankings will compare with the first Playoff rankings?

I think OSU, LSU, Bama and Clemson will be their top 4, in that order. I do think there is a chance Penn St is over Clemson but I think Clemson barely edges them out.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@BSLRobShields

#145 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:49 AM

My Top 4 Guess (in order): LSU, OSU, Alabama, Penn State.

I think Clemson beats PSU in an actual game, but PSU has the better resume right now in terms of schedule strength. And that will only widen if PSU beats Minnesota this weekend (so if the Lions aren't ahead now, I'd bet they will be next week).

#146 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,193 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:33 PM

Penn St got 4th.

I get why you would have Penn St over them.

But why do you have Bama over both/either of Clemson or Penn St?
@BSLRobShields

#147 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:14 PM

Don't really understand Ohio St over LSU for #1. But it won't matter next week....LSU will either beat Alabama and be #1, or they'll lose and be out of the Top 4.

#148 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,193 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:07 AM

Don't really understand Ohio St over LSU for #1. But it won't matter next week....LSU will either beat Alabama and be #1, or they'll lose and be out of the Top 4.

They just think OSU is better. Good chance that they are right but it tells you that they are going to be very subjective and going with eye test more than results.

Part of me likes that but all of these teams are so close that I think their resume has to matter more.

Like I have Bama over Clemson in my poll but that’s really because Bama hasn’t had a UNC game yet.

However, in something like this, I feel Clemson should be above Bama because they have a better resume as of right now.

Now, this means absolutely nothing because of the teams in front of them will play each other but still, I don’t think they got it right for this week.
  • Ricker Says likes this
@BSLRobShields

#149 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,039 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:05 AM

Right, the eye test is the only rational for having Alabama that high too, BTW. But I know they were okay being a bit bullish on those two things, as the LSU/Alabama game this week will settle some of that.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#150 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:11 PM

Like I have Bama over Clemson in my poll but that’s really because Bama hasn’t had a UNC game yet.

However, in something like this, I feel Clemson should be above Bama because they have a better resume as of right now.

I don't think there's any meaningful difference in their resumes. Most SoS rankings actually have Alabama slightly ahead as of right now. Clemson did have a better OOC schedule, highlighted by Texas A&M, but Alabama has played them too and both won handily. And like you said, Alabama has avoided a UNC game so far. I go with Alabama just because I think they have been better so far this season, but that's highly subjective, and this weekend will change things one way or another anyway.

#151 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,193 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

1) LSU
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
4) Georgia
5) Alabama
6) Oregon
7) Utah
8) Minnesota
9) Auburn
10) Florida
11) Penn St
12) Wisconsin

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@BSLRobShields

#152 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 02:06 AM

1. LSU

2. Ohio State

3. Clemson

4. Georgia

5. Alabama

6. Utah

7. Oregon

8. Minnesota

9. Florida

10. Auburn

11. Penn State

12. Oklahoma

#153 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,039 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:39 AM

1. LSU
2. Ohio St
3. Clemson
4. Georgia
5. Alabama
6. Minnesota
7. Oregon
8. Utah
9. Florida
10. Auburn
11. Wisconsin
12. Penn St.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#154 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,039 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:40 AM

I think Alabama is better than Georgia and Clemson but leaving it as is for now.

#155 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,193 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:48 AM

UGA is at Auburn this week. That’s obviously a huge game for them. Get that win and that’s another quality road win for them.

Minnesota with another tough game at Iowa. That would be a solid win for them even if Iowa has lost some games.

The other big game is OU at Baylor. Baylor really needs to do something special to impress the committee. If Baylor loses, they are done.

OU still may have a chance to get in but they need a lot of help even if they win out.
@BSLRobShields

#156 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,521 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:20 AM

1) LSU

2) Ohio State

3) Clemson

4) Georgia

5) Alabama

6) Oregon

7) Minnesota

8) Utah

9) Penn State

10) Baylor

11) Oklahoma

12) Auburn

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#157 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:09 AM

1) LSU

2) Ohio State

3) Clemson

4) Georgia

5) Alabama

6) Oregon

7) Utah

8) Minnesota

9) Florida

10) Baylor

11) Penn State

12) Oklahoma

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#158 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:11 AM

1. LSU

2. Clemson

3. Ohio State

4. Alabama

5. Georgia

6. Utah

7. Oregon

8. Minnesota

9. Florida

10. Auburn

11. Oklahoma

12. Penn State

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#159 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:23 PM

Deified-Dozen-2019-Week-11.jpg

https://www.baltimor...l-week-11-poll/

Week 11 featured two games that had a major impact on the Deified Dozen and the College Football Playoff rankings, and neither game disappointed. At the top of the poll, LSU jumped to a big halftime lead, then held off an Alabama comeback effort to remain #1 in our poll. The loss dropped the Tide to #5. Meanwhile, Minnesota also survived a late charge by Penn State to win their biggest game so far this season. The win vaulted the Gophers to #8 among the Dozen, and Penn State fell to #11. Elsewhere, Oklahoma barely escaped their matchup with Iowa State, but paid a price for the close loss as they dropped to #12. Georgia got a solid win against Missouri to replace Alabama in the last Playoff spot at #4.

Week 12 features one head-to-head Dozen matchup when Georgia travels to the Plains to take on their SEC cross-division rival, #10 Auburn. While the Bulldogs remain the likely SEC East division winner, they must avoid another loss to remain in the Playoff picture. Minnesota also faces a tough task when they travel to Kinnick Stadium, the graveyard of ranked teams, to play Iowa. And finally Oklahoma hits the road to play unbeaten Baylor, who barely missed our rankings this week, in a crucial Big 12 matchup of teams hoping to sneak into the Playoff race.

#160 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,193 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:34 AM

Same 1-8 as the committee. 9-12 are the same teams but in a different order.

Baylor and Wisconsin also received votes here and are 13 and 14 in the poll.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners