207 replies to this topic

#41 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

The reason for keeping Ricard is because they want to be able to do things on offense that require a lot of big bodies.

I sure hope they know what they are doing, lol...I'm with Rob though (whoah). If we lost Willis because we kept Ricard, I'd be more than a bit disappointed. 

I think Dixon is gone though, the more you think about it, the Ravens snatched Edwards and Collins off PS of other teams. I'm sure they've got their eyes on other RBs and are aware of what they need if someone gets hurt. Plenty of able bodied RB types that will be on their PS or other PS when it's all said and done. 

#42 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

I wouldn't be that upset about losing an UDFA unless he really shows me a lot in preseason. There's a decent chance that Ricard is a better DT than Willis.

@gabefergy

#43 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:39 AM

I think the most likely is that one of Mack/Sieler/Willis/Wormley land on the IR.

They waived Carl Davis last year. He started 12 games for the Ravens over 3 years. The idea that Wormley started doesn't mean they won't waive him if they view him as the bottom guy. Sieler could be the new Wormley kept for the old Davis...I was legitimately surprised they waived Davis last year.

Not saying it's likely, I think Mack or Willis on the IR is the most likely. But it's definitely possible.

Possible in that you can’t definitively say he’s on the team.

But not likely possible in the context that he is in trouble...because he’s not.
@BSLRobShields

#44 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:40 AM

I sure hope they know what they are doing, lol...I'm with Rob though (whoah). If we lost Willis because we kept Ricard, I'd be more than a bit disappointed.

I think Dixon is gone though, the more you think about it, the Ravens snatched Edwards and Collins off PS of other teams. I'm sure they've got their eyes on other RBs and are aware of what they need if someone gets hurt. Plenty of able bodied RB types that will be on their PS or other PS when it's all said and done.

Dixon is the best RB on the roster unless Hill
Shows a lot more immediately.

His elusive stats, tackles broken, etc..throughout his career are pretty impressive.

But he has a lot of off field shit, no doubt.
@BSLRobShields

#45 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

The reason for keeping Ricard is because they want to be able to do things on offense that require a lot of big bodies.

Andrews and Hurst are both receivers more than blockers, and while an extra OL can work in jumbo packages Ricard gives you a bit more in his ability to move and also catch the ball.

If this was a normal offense than there is no reason why you keep Ricard unless he is being used on defense. In this offense, he provides value just like keeping 4 RBs provides value.

What % of the time was Ricard and Boyle on the field together last year? How often will it be this year? How many plays a game?
@BSLRobShields

#46 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

Dixon is the best RB on the roster unless Hill
Shows a lot more immediately.

His elusive stats, tackles broken, etc..throughout his career are pretty impressive.

But he has a lot of off field shit, no doubt.

Dixon is the best RB on the roster? Ok...lol. I think we can stop the conversation there if that's where you're planting your flag. 

Collins was pretty darn elusive himself his first year here. Edwards was more than just a flash in the pan. The point isn't that Dixon is bad, the point is that the drop off from him to a potential PS guy that we don't know about they have their eye on, could easily allow them to cut him. 

It's not just about the information we have in front of us on these decisions, too. 

#47 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:51 AM

Well the drop off from a lot of RBs to UDFa isn’t high..see Lindsay. That’s not saying much and the statement isn’t particularly meaningful in this conversation. Collins also has nothing to do with this conversation.

Dixon brings more to the table than Edwards, is younger than Ingram and Isn’t an unknown like Hill.

I think Ingram will be fine but ultimately prove to be a poor signing considering the money spent and what we saw available for less deals. I like Dixon a lot but his off field stuff holds him back.

Only carrying 3 RBs is a poor choice for a team that wants to run it a lot, especially when Edwards could easily prove to be a one hit wonder and you don’t know about Hill yet.
@BSLRobShields

#48 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:55 AM

What % of the time was Ricard and Boyle on the field together last year? How often will it be this year? How many plays a game?

I have no idea, but I know that Greg Roman loves to use multiple blockers in a lot of different ways. But if we are going to play this game, how many snaps on offense is a 4th RB going to get? It looks like Ricard saw about 100 snaps on offense last year, I would imagine most if not all came with Boyle on the field. That number could certainly increase with Roman as OC, but it's impossible to know.

My point is the Ravens want to revolutionize offense around a player they think is a unique talent with a major emphasis on the run game. They clearly think a guy that can block like Boyle is key to that and everything I am hearing suggests Ricard is going to have a role as well.

@gabefergy

#49 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:02 PM

In this offense and with the likelihood of injuries, I think the 4th RB gets quite a few snaps.
@BSLRobShields

#50 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:03 PM

Collins also has nothing to do with this conversation.

You're feisty today. Collins has to do with this because he was on a PS and we pried a RB away. The Ravens are looking at other teams PS and have some idea of what talent is out there at RB. 

Their comfortability, IMO, with what Dixon could be replaced with and the chances that he actually gets rostered right away will be bigger factors than his personal skill set, which we agree is very good. 

I think the external market and scarcity will dictate Dixon's spot more than his own ability. Collins represents the idea that talent is always available at RB. 

#51 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:04 PM

In this offense and with the likelihood of injuries, I think the 4th RB gets quite a few snaps.

Agreed, I also think the 4th RB doesn't need to be on the roster right now. And that it could still be Dixon even if he's cut. 

If you cut Jaleel Scott for example, I think he gets signed immediately, teams value and can hide WRs on their active roster better than RBs. 

#52 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:10 PM

You're feisty today. Collins has to do with this because he was on a PS and we pried a RB away. The Ravens are looking at other teams PS and have some idea of what talent is out there at RB.

Their comfortability, IMO, with what Dixon could be replaced with and the chances that he actually gets rostered right away will be bigger factors than his personal skill set, which we agree is very good.

I think the external market and scarcity will dictate Dixon's spot more than his own ability. Collins represents the idea that talent is always available at RB.

But it’s completely meaningless.

Talent being available doesn’t mean they are always fits for the system or that they will grasp this system or anything else.

They may be able to cut Dixon and feel they can grab a RB later but it’s a foolish assumption for a team that is being built to run the ball all the time.

The argument for keeping Dixon is simply him vs the rest of the roster. There are not 53 better players on this team.

Dixon can be an actual difference maker IF he can stay healthy.

That’s a huge IF and if he gets hurt in camp, so be it...but reports are that he looks good, on the field he has always been pretty solid, especially with the advanced analytics and he is still young with very little tread on his tires.

Unless he gets hurt again or he has more off field stuff, cutting him is stupid.
@BSLRobShields

#53 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:16 PM

Agreed, I also think the 4th RB doesn't need to be on the roster right now. And that it could still be Dixon even if he's cut. 

If you cut Jaleel Scott for example, I think he gets signed immediately, teams value and can hide WRs on their active roster better than RBs. 

Dixon gets picked up immediately if he is cut.

@BSLRobShields

#54 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:18 PM

Jeff Z on Scott in a Q&A:

H. Great question. I think on offense, the most surprising player has been Jaleel Scott. The 4th-round pick last year, who spent entire season on IR, looks like a totally different guy. He's bigger, stronger and faster, and he's playing with confidence. He looked more like a deer in headlights last year.

@BSLRobShields

#55 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

More from the Q&A:

My pleasure, Eli. I think with Ferguson, it's just about getting more comfortable with the defense and learning better his responsibilities. That would help him think less and pay faster. When they drafted him, they talked a lot about his understanding of pass-rushing moves. We haven't really seen his whole arsenal yet and I think we well when he gets more comfortable. 

As for Willis, he's looked pretty good. Flashes in some practices, quiet in others. I like how he's gone about things. Here's the question with him, though: Do the Ravens have room for 7 DL? Because Brandon Williams, Pierce, Chris Wormley and Wille Henry are locks. Sieler is a top backup to Wormley so I'd think he's a lock. And the Ravens aren't cutting a 4th-round pick in Mack. 7 just seems too many with the logjam they have at other positions. Plus, Ricard will seemingly make the team primarily as a FB, but he can play DL and looks good in doing it this summer. So basically Willis would be the eighth guy? That's probably too many.

@BSLRobShields

#56 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:21 PM

I forgot Mack was a 4th rounder.  No way they are cutting him or trying to hide him on the PS.  

@BSLRobShields

#57 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

Zrebiec thinks they keep 6 WRs

@BSLRobShields

#58 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

https://theathletic....-tuesday-aug-6/

@BSLRobShields

#59 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:29 PM

Unless he gets hurt again or he has more off field stuff, cutting him is stupid.

I'm surprised you feel so strongly about the 4th RB. I'd much rather find a way to keep Willis if it comes down to Dixon's spot. Personally, I think there are diminishing returns. 

I'd also probably not keep Roberts over Dixon though...and if Dixon is so valuable, I'd trade him before I'd trade Carr/Smith (I don't think Jefferson is tradeable due to his cap number). 

#60 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:29 PM

Zrebiec thinks they keep 6 WRs

I'll be surprised if they have 6 WRs. I don't see how the math adds up there. Should be fun to watch in the preseason. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners