#23 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,540 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:07 AM

Judging by what Adrian said he saw in practice, it’s not surprising.

Let’s not forget that he never made the active roster last year. They have been evaluating him for a while.

Not to mention, they have Brown back and one of the UDFa WR has looked good according to some reports.

Why keep looking at him if you know you aren’t keeping him?
@BSLRobShields

#24 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,540 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:25 AM

Jeff Z:

·
11m

Ravens started camp with 13 WRs. A week in, they're down to 11 after cuts of Adeboyejo and Lasley. Harbaugh mentioned today that they'll likely keep 5 or 6. Injuries/preseason play have a way of changing things, but could come down to Jaleel Scott and Antoine Wesley for 1 spot

@BSLRobShields

#25 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:26 PM

Understandable to cut a guy who was a healthy scratch last year, had not improved, and was getting in fights unnecessarily, especially when there's a lot of depth at the position.  Miami seems like a logical destination for him -- to reunite with Rosen.

#26 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

There are 45 guys here, so you get to keep 8 more. 

McSorely, Dixon, Roberts, Horn, Floyd, Lasley, Scott, Smith, Wesley, Eleumenor, Cyrus Jones, Jean-Baptiste, Canady, Sieler, Mack, Willis, Alaka, McPhee, Ray

For me, and I'll keep tracking would be:

IN: McSorley, Scott, Eleumenor, Sieler, Mack, Willis, McPhee, and Canady

OUT: Roberts, Dixon, Wesley, Ray, C. Jones, Horn, Floyd, Smith, Jean-Baptiste, Alaka

So I've moved Ricard, Hill, and Wormley all into the IN category. It's pretty tight right now. 

I think C. Jones doesn't have a spot, period. And I still think of the DL/DE guys might not make it. Hopefully no one gets hurt, but it's tight there so there is some room for some depth at that position. 

Roberts, Dixon, Ray are three vets that are going to be fighting for spots. Dixon and Ray are really on the bubble. And I think Roberts or Scott could be fighting for just one spot. 

#27 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,540 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:21 PM

Ricard making the team makes no sense to me.
@BSLRobShields

#28 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

Ricard making the team makes no sense to me.

Me either, but it seems like nearly a pure lock. I'm not adding him because I want him. But they are using him and he's definitely getting the attention...I don't see how they don't keep him at this point. 

#29 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,540 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:43 PM

Me either, but it seems like nearly a pure lock. I'm not adding him because I want him. But they are using him and he's definitely getting the attention...I don't see how they don't keep him at this point.

Well they have done this with guys in the past but usually it’s guys we haven’t seen much of.

That being said, they could also be trying to showcase him to trade him.

Ricard making the team over a guy like Dixon would really annoy me.
@BSLRobShields

#30 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:41 PM

Well they have done this with guys in the past but usually it’s guys we haven’t seen much of.

That being said, they could also be trying to showcase him to trade him.

Ricard making the team over a guy like Dixon would really annoy me.

But no one carries a FB...so it's like, if you're going to showcase him put him on defense not on offense. 

With all the talk of revolutionizing the game, you'd have to think they want a FB to be part of that. 

I'd be OK with not carrying Canady and I do think Wormley if he doesn't start to showcase better could be on the outs if Willis/Sieler/Mack all flash. 

That being said, it's unlikely they end camp 100% healthy, so it may not be an issue. 

Personally, I also find it a bit annoying that we'll carry 3 QBs on the roster, that feels like a real waste. So maybe if RG3 is healthy they try and sneak McSorley to the PS. And promise him that roster spot if RG3 gets hurt or they need to call someone up to try and keep him here. I don't know that he'd make another 53-man right out of camp. So maybe he's the odd guy out instead, too. 

#31 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,540 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:29 AM

Boyle can play that FB role though.

You paid him a lot of money to block.
@BSLRobShields

#32 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:26 AM

I'd be surprised if they carry 3 QBs, unless it's out of necessity due to the RG3 injury. I would think McSorley ends up on the PS one way or another.

They could use heavy sets with both Boyle and Ricard blocking. Whether out of pistol, I form, etc I would think we'll see 22 more commonly than most teams if they're going to be that run heavy.

@Bmore_Irish

#33 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,540 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:21 AM

If Ricard makes the team, it has to be because you like him on defense and will give him enough snaps there to justify him on the team.

You absolutely can not justify him on the team, with the roster crunch they have, when you signed Boyle to do what he does.

@BSLRobShields

#34 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,540 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:31 AM

So who are guys we're considering on the bubble right now:

QB - Lamar, RG3
FB - Ricard
RB - Ingram, Edwards, Hill
WR - Brown, Boykin, Moore, Snead
TE - Andrews, Hurst, Boyle
OL - Brown, Stanely, Skura, Hurst, Yanda, Powers, Bozeman

CB - Averett, Carr, Humphrey, Marshall, Smith, Young
S - Clark, Elliott, Jefferson, Thomas, Levine
DL - Henry, Pierce, Williams, Wormley
OLB - Judon, Williams, Bowser, Ferguson
ILB - Onwuasor, Board, Young

ST - Tucker, Cox, Koch

PUP - Lewis

There are 45 guys here, so you get to keep 8 more.

McSorely, Dixon, Roberts, Horn, Floyd, Lasley, Scott, Smith, Wesley, Eleumenor, Cyrus Jones, Jean-Baptiste, Canady, Sieler, Mack, Willis, Alaka, McPhee, Ray

For me, and I'll keep tracking would be:

IN: McSorley, Scott, Eleumenor, Sieler, Mack, Willis, McPhee, and Canady

OUT: Roberts, Dixon, Wesley, Ray, C. Jones, Horn, Floyd, Smith, Jean-Baptiste, Alaka

I'm guessing Ricard, Wesley, Jones would be the next three guys in if something like this went down.

But someone should also check my math.

QB: Jackson, QB2
RB: Edwards, Hill, Dixon, Ingram
OLine: Stanley, Powers, Skura, Yanda, Brown, Bozeman, Hurst, Elumanor
WR: Brown, Boykin, Moore, Snead, Roberts
TE: Boyle, Andrews, Hurst

Front 7: Pierce, Williams, Wormley, Henry, Peanut, Young, Board, Judon, Ferguson, Seiler,
Secondary: Carr, Smith, Averett, Humphrey, Thomas, Young, Jefferson, Elliott, Clark, Levine, Marshall, Bethel

ST: Tucker,Koch, Cox

That's 47.

I am not convinced Bowser and/or Williams are guaranteed a spot.

I am not convinced RG3 is definitely QB2.

I am not convinced they don't deal a vet out of the secondary...Smith, Carr or Jefferson

I believe there are at least 2 roster spots that will go to players either not currently in the organization or UDFA.

The last six guys to me are going to be tough to figure out, especially with the thought that I believe a few off the radar guys make the team. Of the remaining 7, McPhee has the leg up right now, since he is listed as a starter. If they really like what they see from him, that could make Bowser or Williams an odd man out.

BTW, I also acknowledge that they may only keep 3 RBs but that would be stupid IMO.
@BSLRobShields

#35 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

I am not convinced Bowser and/or Williams are guaranteed a spot.

I am not convinced they don't deal a vet out of the secondary...Smith, Carr or Jefferson

I believe there are at least 2 roster spots that will go to players either not currently in the organization or UDFA.

Bowser or Williams is going to make this roster. I'd be stunned if both don't. And I'd be very surprised if both don't. 

I also don't think we see a trade from the CBs, that'd really surprise me. 

I think 1 roster spot is going to Willis so I agree on the last one. I also think there is a chance that someone we already know on the OL doesn't make it to OD that we have penciled in for now, too. 

I think your take on Ricard is right but I think the Ravens agree with you. They like him as a FB and not as a DL. I bet we barely even see him at DL in the preaseson because they are trying to keep him healthy for the regular and view him as a borderline starter.

As for paying Boyle too much, well...I'm the one who said that when they signed him. I was flabbergasted at that deal for that price and I'm equally stunned Ricard seems like such a lock on the roster. But this is the Ravens "revolution". I think those two spots and the way they paid and are going to give those guys time on the field is part of how they think they are going to change the game. 

#36 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,540 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:21 AM

Bowser or Williams is going to make this roster. I'd be stunned if both don't. And I'd be very surprised if both don't.

I also don't think we see a trade from the CBs, that'd really surprise me.

I think 1 roster spot is going to Willis so I agree on the last one. I also think there is a chance that someone we already know on the OL doesn't make it to OD that we have penciled in for now, too.

I think your take on Ricard is right but I think the Ravens agree with you. They like him as a FB and not as a DL. I bet we barely even see him at DL in the preaseson because they are trying to keep him healthy for the regular and view him as a borderline starter.

As for paying Boyle too much, well...I'm the one who said that when they signed him. I was flabbergasted at that deal for that price and I'm equally stunned Ricard seems like such a lock on the roster. But this is the Ravens "revolution". I think those two spots and the way they paid and are going to give those guys time on the field is part of how they think they are going to change the game.

1) I agree that Bowser and/or Williams likely make the team...but I don't think its a lock. Even Cullen basically said yesterday, start doing something or find a new job.

2) I think its more likely they keep all the CBs but if they feel a roster crunch and they can trade a vet for a quality pick, I could see them doing it...particularly if they feel they need a better starting guard or another pass rusher.

3) I think Willis finds his way on the IR somehow. I hope he is either on IR or the 53 though. I don't want to see him go to the PS because he will get picked up.

4) I think you are right about Ricard and how the Ravens view him. It makes no sense.

5) I don't know that they paid Boyle too much...but since you did give him a lot of money to be a great blocker (and he is a better receiver than given credit for), I see no need to have another blocker (Ricard) on the team. It just makes no sense.
@BSLRobShields

#37 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

2) I think its more likely they keep all the CBs but if they feel a roster crunch and they can trade a vet for a quality pick, I could see them doing it...particularly if they feel they need a better starting guard or another pass rusher.

3) I think Willis finds his way on the IR somehow. I hope he is either on IR or the 53 though. I don't want to see him go to the PS because he will get picked up.

I think if they were going to trade a CB they'd have done it already. Rosters get tighter and there are a lot of vets for higher level draft picks that happen right before the season starts. Not saying it won't happen but I think it's more likely someone that we think is on the team is gets cut in a surprise. I think Wormley could be that guy for example. Most of the trades at this point though are for conditional late picks. 

There are a bunch of candidates that could find their way to the IR, not just Willis. Any of these bubble guys would suffice. Agreed, I want to see Willis stay but some of this will to a degree self resolve. I think Marshall at CB is a candidate, or really any CB with a designation to return. I also think we'll see a UDFA WR get IR'd like we saw with White and Adeboyjo recently. I think Sieler/Mack/Willis/Wormley (all guys with multiple years left under contract) is IR'd or doesn't make it. And one of Clark/Levine/Elliott could be spared to IR in a worst case scenario, too.

The depth is actually pretty nice. Our roster from 22-40 is in really good shape, IMO. Both for the current and future. 

Some of this is just machination and it'll likely resolve itself with injuries. But I generally don't like to prognosticate on injuries just out of superstition. 

#38 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,540 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:01 AM

They like Wormley. He was starting last year. They aren’t cutting him. Not sure why you keep mentioning him.

I said this months ago, that there is a real roster crunch and someone(s) we don’t want to lose will be cut or traded.

I can accept that in a lot of cases. I can’t accept it if Ricard is on the team and someone is cut instead of him.
@BSLRobShields

#39 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

They like Wormley. He was starting last year. They aren’t cutting him. Not sure why you keep mentioning him.

I think the most likely is that one of Mack/Sieler/Willis/Wormley land on the IR. 

They waived Carl Davis last year. He started 12 games for the Ravens over 3 years. The idea that Wormley started doesn't mean they won't waive him if they view him as the bottom guy. Sieler could be the new Wormley kept for the old Davis...I was legitimately surprised they waived Davis last year. 

Not saying it's likely, I think Mack or Willis on the IR is the most likely. But it's definitely possible. 

#40 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

The reason for keeping Ricard is because they want to be able to do things on offense that require a lot of big bodies.

Andrews and Hurst are both receivers more than blockers, and while an extra OL can work in jumbo packages Ricard gives you a bit more in his ability to move and also catch the ball.

If this was a normal offense than there is no reason why you keep Ricard unless he is being used on defense. In this offense, he provides value just like keeping 4 RBs provides value.

@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners