#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,246 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:19 PM

Good Article, and even better, the Rookies report on Wednesday so let the football begin.

@mikeghg

#3 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:16 PM

I believe Lamarball may be a lot of fun to play and watch (personal disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Navy football), and depending largely on Lamar, it could win. The emphasis has to be running the ball effectively and a lot. They need to spread it around more so LJ is not carrying it at the rate he was last year; that'll just make it more effective when he does. Adding Ingram is part of that and I'm intrigued by Justice Hill. If it works, playing the Ravens will be tough because they're different. If it doesn't work it may show why more teams don't do it. The key is Lamar.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,246 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:57 PM

I believe Lamarball may be a lot of fun to play and watch (personal disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Navy football), and depending largely on Lamar, it could win. The emphasis has to be running the ball effectively and a lot. They need to spread it around more so LJ is not carrying it at the rate he was last year; that'll just make it more effective when he does. Adding Ingram is part of that and I'm intrigued by Justice Hill. If it works, playing the Ravens will be tough because they're different. If it doesn't work it may show why more teams don't do it. The key is Lamar.

Good post, if it does work wait for it to be copied.

@mikeghg

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,947 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:08 PM

Oh, there is no doubt that this offense has a chance to be devastating.  The amount of speed, the talent at all levels in the passing game, etc....is very strong.

But Lamar has to show he can beat you from the pocket.  You can not come out, do what you did last year and expect to succeed.  It won't happen, at least not on any kind of a consistent basis.

@BSLRobShields

#6 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:48 AM

Good post, if it does work wait for it to be copied.

Only a few teams could reproduce it. Arizona, Carolina, Seattle. Lamar is one of a kind. As fast as Kyler and Wilson are, they don't move like Lamar on the field. I haven't seen someone eat up 10 yards that fast from the QB position since Vick.

It's a small sample size for sure. Teams had a full offseason to digest what the Ravens did. But teams in college have been digesting the same type of offense for decades, you still see Georgia Tech and Navy run all over everyone. If you run the option offense with discipline, you make it a true 11 on 11 game, and it is not easy to stop when you have good talent everywhere.

I don't think Lamar should run it 15+ time a game. But if he does and you're winning, you can't really complain. He's not some frail QB who can't take a hit. He's the same size of a lot of RB's. I believe at the combine he was 6'2" and 217 lbs. That's a pretty decent size. I understand he plays the most important position on the field. But not using his legs out of fear of injury is a disservice to the team. He's one of the most explosive players in the NFL. He needs the ball in his hands. Period. If he has 200+ carries, then so be it.

In an NFL offseason program, I don't think its dumb to say he probably added at least 3 or 4 lbs of muscle. That puts him around 220 lbs. 6'2", 220 lbs. You put that size on a RB with his running ability, and every single scout would say he has the size to be a bell cow RB. But because he plays QB, everyone thinks he's destined for injury with 200 touches on the ground. Makes no sense.
  • jkough1 likes this

#7 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:43 PM

Only a few teams could reproduce it. Arizona, Carolina, Seattle. Lamar is one of a kind. As fast as Kyler and Wilson are, they don't move like Lamar on the field. I haven't seen someone eat up 10 yards that fast from the QB position since Vick.

It's a small sample size for sure. Teams had a full offseason to digest what the Ravens did. But teams in college have been digesting the same type of offense for decades, you still see Georgia Tech and Navy run all over everyone. If you run the option offense with discipline, you make it a true 11 on 11 game, and it is not easy to stop when you have good talent everywhere.

I don't think Lamar should run it 15+ time a game. But if he does and you're winning, you can't really complain. He's not some frail QB who can't take a hit. He's the same size of a lot of RB's. I believe at the combine he was 6'2" and 217 lbs. That's a pretty decent size. I understand he plays the most important position on the field. But not using his legs out of fear of injury is a disservice to the team. He's one of the most explosive players in the NFL. He needs the ball in his hands. Period. If he has 200+ carries, then so be it.

In an NFL offseason program, I don't think its dumb to say he probably added at least 3 or 4 lbs of muscle. That puts him around 220 lbs. 6'2", 220 lbs. You put that size on a RB with his running ability, and every single scout would say he has the size to be a bell cow RB. But because he plays QB, everyone thinks he's destined for injury with 200 touches on the ground. Makes no sense.

Very good post but I hope he doesn't carry the ball more than 10 times in any game and I fully expect that he won't have to. There's absolutely no reason not to expect him to complete over 60% of his passes and the threat of the run will make him that much more dangerous. Throw in the stable of rb's we have and I can't see him being used like he was last season. If Hollywood can fully recover from his injury this offense has the look of being extremely dangerous.

#8 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:56 PM

Very good post but I hope he doesn't carry the ball more than 10 times in any game and I fully expect that he won't have to. There's absolutely no reason not to expect him to complete over 60% of his passes and the threat of the run will make him that much more dangerous. Throw in the stable of rb's we have and I can't see him being used like he was last season. If Hollywood can fully recover from his injury this offense has the look of being extremely dangerous.

I dont think you see him have the same volume he had last season. At least not consistently week to week. You'll see him get high volumes sporadically. But if that is because he's gashing a defense, are you really going to be mad?

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:30 PM

I dont think you see him have the same volume he had last season. At least not consistently week to week. You'll see him get high volumes sporadically. But if that is because he's gashing a defense, are you really going to be mad?

I'm trusting that the new OC has that covered . It's not like he wasn't here last year.

#10 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:11 PM

Of course not but my point is that I don't think it'll be necessary to use him like that. Last year happened out of necessity because Lamar wasn't ready to consistently contribute to the passing game. I just see half of those runs from last season being pass attempts this year.

#11 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:27 PM

I think Lamar is going to have less rushes, but I would still guess he averages ~10/game. Comments from Roman made it seem like he isn't scared to let him use his legs and considering the kind of weapon he is, I expect him to be used frequently in that capacity.

@gabefergy

#12 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:37 PM

I think Lamar is going to have less rushes, but I would still guess he averages ~10/game. Comments from Roman made it seem like he isn't scared to let him use his legs and considering the kind of weapon he is, I expect him to be used frequently in that capacity.

Improvements to the passing game will reduce his rushing attempts and then you add Ingram and the need to run Lamar decreases even more. I agree that 10 rushes a game seems about right.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,314 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

10 a game is more than I'd like to see, but no so many that I'd think it's irresponsible. If like to see around 7-8 called rushing plays.

If he's at 7-8 most games but needs to go to 18-20 two or three times to win close games that other stuff isn't working and the average ends up at 10 I'm ok with that, too. I just don't my want him getting tackled by giant dudes 10 or 12 times every single week. I think that is too much exposure. I also don't think teams will continue to be fooled and beaten by him running 15+ times like last year.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,471 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:28 PM

I thought the article in the OP had great points about Jackson running in-terms of possible totals, and why the risk is a bit overblown. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#15 cprenegade

cprenegade

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 714 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:40 PM

Nobody can predict an injury.  Some players are incredibly durable, others seem to be injured more than they aren't.  Jackson is not some frail player waiting to be broken it two by bigger defensive players, but the facts are clear.  The position that suffers the most injuries in the NFL by a wide margin is that of RB.  But the Ravens have to run him.  At least by the small amount of evidence on file at this point, he is not going to beat people with his arm.  His value is because he is such an elusive runner.  That is the conundrum the Ravens face.  It is also a blueprint that has not had much success in the NFL.  There have been plenty of QBs that do what Jackson did in college.  Maybe Jackson is a little more gifted than most of them, but not by as much as people like to think.  Most of the QBs who win the Heisman are double threat college QBs.  But the NFL talent is quite a step above the usual college team's schedule.  I'm not saying that this new offense can't be successful.  In fact I think it is very intriguing and I'm interested to see how it will work.  But I'm skeptical at the same time.  My gut feeling tells me it will be very successful against some teams, and will struggle big time against the better defenses or better DC's in the league.  I have yet to see a true double threat QB be a big success in the NFL.  Maybe this is the time.  But I am going to have to shown that to believe it.  

#16 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 10:57 AM

I thought the article in the OP had great points about Jackson running in-terms of possible totals, and why the risk is a bit overblown.

Bringing up his size does add to the argument that it's overblown. If he were a RB, at 6'2" and 220 lbs, with his running ability. Everyone would be calling you stupid if you didn't give him at least 200 touches on the ground. That's prototypical bell-cow RB size. But because he's a QB, people seem to think he can't handle it all of a sudden.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,947 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 July 2019 - 11:49 AM

Bringing up his size does add to the argument that it's overblown. If he were a RB, at 6'2" and 220 lbs, with his running ability. Everyone would be calling you stupid if you didn't give him at least 200 touches on the ground. That's prototypical bell-cow RB size. But because he's a QB, people seem to think he can't handle it all of a sudden.

Its more than just pure size though...its where the muscle is.  How your weight is distributed, etc...

Lamar is a slight guy.  A lot of RBs are that weight but they are 3-4 inches shorter.

@BSLRobShields

#18 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

Its more than just pure size though...its where the muscle is.  How your weight is distributed, etc...

Lamar is a slight guy.  A lot of RBs are that weight but they are 3-4 inches shorter.

On the other hand, RBs have a very different running style than a QB. As the article points out, he is more frequently able to get in space as opposed to running the ball up the gut where he would take a pounding from big defensive lineman and LBs.

The other thing is as a QB, he is more protected. It's easy for him to slide or scoot out of bounds. Granted, all it takes is one big hit, but he was pretty good about not exposing himself last season.

@gabefergy

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,947 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

On the other hand, RBs have a very different running style than a QB. As the article points out, he is more frequently able to get in space as opposed to running the ball up the gut where he would take a pounding from big defensive lineman and LBs.

The other thing is as a QB, he is more protected. It's easy for him to slide or scoot out of bounds. Granted, all it takes is one big hit, but he was pretty good about not exposing himself last season.

Sure...and you can be as good about it as you want but still, he also turns it up field a lot...he takes hits, its a fallacy that he doesn't.  

Its also true that he is faster than basically everyone and that helps...but how many years into his career will he be able to say hes faster than everyone?  That could go away relatively fast.  

He will unquestionably be more exposed to hits than most QBs.  That's really the bottom line...he may also be tough as nails and be lucky and never really suffer bad injuries from it.  

Look, you don't want him to stop running.  He is an amazing athlete and when the ball is in his hands, he can be electrifying.  He just need to be a better passer in the red zone and down the field and if he can do that, he is going to be close to impossible to stop.

For those who didn't see it, you can go on facebook (im sure you can go other places but I didn't see it on twitter and didn't look anywhere else) and see Burleson (on Good Morning Football) breakdown Jackson and how he could be so scary.  It was a good breakdown.

@BSLRobShields

#20 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:55 PM

Sure...and you can be as good about it as you want but still, he also turns it up field a lot...he takes hits, its a fallacy that he doesn't.  

Its also true that he is faster than basically everyone and that helps...but how many years into his career will he be able to say hes faster than everyone?  That could go away relatively fast.  

He will unquestionably be more exposed to hits than most QBs.  That's really the bottom line...he may also be tough as nails and be lucky and never really suffer bad injuries from it.  

Look, you don't want him to stop running.  He is an amazing athlete and when the ball is in his hands, he can be electrifying.  He just need to be a better passer in the red zone and down the field and if he can do that, he is going to be close to impossible to stop.

For those who didn't see it, you can go on facebook (im sure you can go other places but I didn't see it on twitter and didn't look anywhere else) and see Burleson (on Good Morning Football) breakdown Jackson and how he could be so scary.  It was a good breakdown.

I'm just talking about this next season because I would hope as he develops as a passer the running becomes less and less frequent.

I think the two aspects of his game are inextricably tied together, and in the end if he doesn't develop as a passer then I don't see him as a long term solution at QB.

For the team to win right now, I do think he needs to use his legs because of the playmaking ability it represents.

@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners