• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,271 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:40 AM

See that Prisco at CBS didn't have a Raven among the Top 100 players...  how do you rate the Ravens talent?

Two things I guess... 

1) Prisco's list is just his, and he's including Weddle and not Humphrey so... whatever, but in the most general terms I think we can agree with the take about the lack of premier high end talent. 

2) Despite the lack of the creme de la creme; I think this roster has talent, and usable depth. 

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,989 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:53 AM

7 out of 10

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,271 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:58 AM

7 out of 10

So, some perspective... 

The Ravens have made the Playoffs 11 times...  don't have to go back and score each team, but do think they are comparable to most of their playoff teams, or less? 

Or just keep it to last year...  team won a division title,  think they have stepped back, even with, or have improved? 

#4 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,032 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

How you can’t consider Marshal Yanda a top 100 player in the league when he is one of the best at his position is a bad look. Humphrey should be up there. A non injured Earl Thomas is up there.
@BSLMikeRandall

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,989 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:10 AM

I think this team is on the lower end of the spectrum compared to past Raven playoff teams, but above average compared to the rest of the league currently.  I think we will compete for a division title and/or wild card spot, but not sure I'd go so far as to say I expect to accomplish either objective.  I think we're a borderline playoff team.

I think this year's team on paper is slightly ahead of what last year's team did on the field.  Well ahead of my expectations for last year's team or how I felt heading into last season.  Right now I'd say I expect to win 9-10 games this coming season.  Last year I think I had felt we were a 6-7 win team coming into the season (will try to search and find for sure).

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,271 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:11 AM

How you can’t consider Marshal Yanda a top 100 player in the league when he is one of the best at his position is a bad look. Humphrey should be up there. A non injured Earl Thomas is up there.

I see PFF had him 99th... 

https://www.profootb...2018-nfl-season

#7 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,215 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:15 AM

I think the talent is 8-8 level with the chance to go 10-6 or 6-10.

It's the same talent level we've had pretty much since winning the SB. A couple of bounces or injuries make all the difference for about 30 of the 32 NFL teams.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,646 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:06 AM

PFF had Thomas in their top 20 I believe.

Humphrey is clearly a top 100 guy...as is Yanda.

The Ravens still like the top end talent they haven't had for a while.

The difference is that they MAY have those guys with Brown, Lamar and maybe even Hill....just don't know it yet.

But, entering the year, I would say the talent is the same as usual...From 4-53, they are as strong as most of the league...but its those few guys at the top that separate the best teams from the mid range to bad teams and usually one of those players is a QB.

• Ricker Says likes this
@BSLRobShields

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,271 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:09 AM

Thomas was not in PFF's Top 101 players from 2018, which isn't surprising since he only played 4 games. 

But yeah, would imagine he's still highly regarded. 

EDIT: Yep, he's #18 entering 2019
https://www.profootb...the-2019-season

Humphrey was 97. Yanda 99 for '18.

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,646 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:18 AM

Could argue for Stanley as top 100...Brown could have been top 100 if he played 16 games like he played once he started.

@BSLRobShields

#11 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,032 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:18 AM

O-Lineman are always getting undervalued but we see it first hand when you lose an O-lineman the offense struggles mightily. Have to think that isn’t just a Ravens thing but a league wide thing. Might be worth studying.

Looking at Prisco’s list he included plenty of guys who missed ample time in 2018 and expect a bounce back. So to leave Thomas off for the injury reason is another bad look.
  • Ricker Says likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,646 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:34 AM

Well, you don’t really go to CBS sportsline for good analysis, especially the major sports.
@BSLRobShields

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,271 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:38 AM

Well, you don’t really go to CBS sportsline for good analysis, especially the major sports.

Ehh, they aren't bad.  ESPN's NBA Analysis is better.  CBS better for Baseball.  Football pretty even.  Barnwell makes ESPN's coverage better overall, but CBS has better articles.  CBS good for Golf, CBB.  CFB okay, ESPN better in-season. 

#14 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

I'm not sure this team can be assessed at this point by normal metrics. If it comes together, the total will be greater than the sum of its parts. I can hardly think of any team assembled with such a prime directive of SPEED. If the gameplan exploits that, and the talent executes together (ie: throwing in front of receivers and hitting them in stride), that just sounds like it could not only win, but change the game. The Ravens' team philosophy seems to be "younger, faster, stronger (and cheaper)," so having guys in the top 100 of the league to me is not that relevant. As long as you win.

• Hooded Viper, Mackus and Mike B like this

#15 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:21 AM

I'm not sure this team can be assessed at this point by normal metrics. If it comes together, the total will be greater than the sum of its parts. I can hardly think of any team assembled with such a prime directive of SPEED. If the gameplan exploits that, and the talent executes together (ie: throwing in front of receivers and hitting them in stride), that just sounds like it could not only win, but change the game. The Ravens' team philosophy seems to be "younger, faster, stronger (and cheaper)," so having guys in the top 100 of the league to me is not that relevant. As long as you win.

Agree 100%. This offense alone is hard to judge right now. Jackson is a complete wildcard. With his explosiveness and running ability, if he can develop into an above average passer, he could be unreal.

The WRs are the huge question mark. I have a good feeling with Hollywood. Watching him in college, he looks a lot like his cousin skillset wise. Hopefully he can put it together like him. Boykin is another wildcard. Ingram is about the only skill position player that you feel confident knowing what you're getting. This offense is going to be a work in progress all season.

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,662 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

Agree 100%. This offense alone is hard to judge right now. Jackson is a complete wildcard. With his explosiveness and running ability, if he can develop into an above average passer, he could be unreal.

The WRs are the huge question mark. I have a good feeling with Hollywood. Watching him in college, he looks a lot like his cousin skillset wise. Hopefully he can put it together like him. Boykin is another wildcard. Ingram is about the only skill position player that you feel confident knowing what you're getting. This offense is going to be a work in progress all season.

I agree with both of you.  IMO, it is really hard to rate the talent on the Ravens, but I feel like the possibilities exists, that it could prove to be exciting, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

I think your ,last statement sums it up.  I do think we will see that progress.

@mikeghg

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,646 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

I think the Ravens are the hardest team in the league to evaluate coming into the season.

At their best, they will control the clock, have speed that can kill you and make them close to impossible to defend on a consistent basis.

At their worst, they will be a turnover machine that struggles to run the ball as effectively as last year and the defense will get tired and struggle.

As someone who doesn't believe in Lamar's ability to make key throws down the field and limit the turnovers, I think they struggle to win 7 or 8 games this year.  However, if he shows he can make those throws and is more careful with the ball, they could be one of the top 5 teams in the league.

There is no scenario for this team that would surprise me.  I literally could see them contending for the title or the first pick in the draft.

• Hooded Viper likes this
@BSLRobShields

#18 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,215 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:26 AM

I think the Ravens are the hardest team in the league to evaluate coming into the season.

At their best, they will control the clock, have speed that can kill you and make them close to impossible to defend on a consistent basis.

At their worst, they will be a turnover machine that struggles to run the ball as effectively as last year and the defense will get tired and struggle.

As someone who doesn't believe in Lamar's ability to make key throws down the field and limit the turnovers, I think they struggle to win 7 or 8 games this year.  However, if he shows he can make those throws and is more careful with the ball, they could be one of the top 5 teams in the league.

There is no scenario for this team that would surprise me.  I literally could see them contending for the title or the first pick in the draft.

I don't see them being 1-15 or 2-14, which would get them the first pick.

They will be able to run and play average to above average defense. That alone gets them into mediocrity.

I'd be surprised if they were worse than 6-10 or better than 10-6 but I don't see them being close to the extreme ends of the spectrum.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,646 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:36 AM

I don't see them being 1-15 or 2-14, which would get them the first pick.

They will be able to run and play average to above average defense. That alone gets them into mediocrity.

I'd be surprised if they were worse than 6-10 or better than 10-6 but I don't see them being close to the extreme ends of the spectrum.

If your QB isn't good and you are turning it over 2-3 times a game, it will be tough to win.  They will stack the box and stop the run and force him to beat them with his arm.  If he can't do that and he is turning it over, they will struggle to win games.

I don't think they win less than 4 games but I am saying I won't be surprised if they do.  I also don't think they win more than 10 games but wouldn't be surprised if they win 12 or 13.

That's why I said they are the toughest team to evaluate because Lamar's range is that wide to me and with so many young players at key spots and so many older guys with recent injury histories that we need a lot from, things could go downhill fast.

But those guys could/should also be elite (Thomas and Yanda for example) if healthy and a good Lamar makes this team virtually impossible to defend.

@BSLRobShields

#20 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,215 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:13 AM

If your QB isn't good and you are turning it over 2-3 times a game, it will be tough to win.  They will stack the box and stop the run and force him to beat them with his arm.  If he can't do that and he is turning it over, they will struggle to win games.

I don't think they win less than 4 games but I am saying I won't be surprised if they do.  I also don't think they win more than 10 games but wouldn't be surprised if they win 12 or 13.

That's why I said they are the toughest team to evaluate because Lamar's range is that wide to me and with so many young players at key spots and so many older guys with recent injury histories that we need a lot from, things could go downhill fast.

But those guys could/should also be elite (Thomas and Yanda for example) if healthy and a good Lamar makes this team virtually impossible to defend.

Teams did that last year when Jackson was the starter and we could still run the ball.

I agree his performance this year is the biggest indicator of how good or how bad we will be.

But this team has won before with mediocre/bad QBs. They went 9-7 and should have made the playoffs with Kyle Boller. They made the playoffs with Anthony Wright.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners