#461 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,632 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:35 PM

Good For Dakich.  This kid has been a cheap shot punk, from day One.  He has gotten away with this crap, because he played at the ultimate Blue Blood program.   Almost as bad as his dirty play are his reactions.  what a jerk.

@mikeghg

#462 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,008 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:46 PM

Guess who's not gonna get his $2.5m team option picked up for 2020-21?

#463 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,703 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:58 PM

Entitlement at its finest

@BSLRobShields

#464 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,703 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:28 PM

Neither foul was really that big of a deal. That stuff happens every game.

But combine them and knowing who did it and you have an issue.
@BSLRobShields

#465 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,632 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:38 PM

Neither foul was really that big of a deal. That stuff happens every game.

But combine them and knowing who did it and you have an issue.

The second one was a big deal IMO.  He slapped the guy in the back of the head.

@mikeghg

#466 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,553 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:01 PM

That doesn't happen every game.

#467 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,703 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:31 PM

That doesn't happen every game.

Fouls like that happen all the time.

Not necessarily by the same person twice in a game but either foul, on its own, is nothing.

Not sticking up for him...he does and always has deserved everything he got/gets.

He’s a dbag.
@BSLRobShields

#468 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:32 PM

Dook incident

@fuzydunlop

#469 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,553 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:37 PM

Fouls like that happen all the time.

Not necessarily by the same person twice in a game but either foul, on its own, is nothing.

Not sticking up for him...he does and always has deserved everything he got/gets.

He’s a dbag.

They don't though. Like that first foul is especially uncommon.

#470 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,632 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:53 PM

They don't though. Like that first foul is especially uncommon.

I am really amazed no one has turned out his lights

@mikeghg

#471 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,703 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:50 PM

21-10-8 for Barrett today.  Shot 7-13 and 2-4 from the 3.

In his final 2 games, he went 13-27 (including 3-8 from 3) from the field.  He scored 38 points, pulled down 18 boards and dished out 16 assists.

@BSLRobShields

#472 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,553 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:31 PM

21-10-8 for Barrett today. Shot 7-13 and 2-4 from the 3.

In his final 2 games, he went 13-27 (including 3-8 from 3) from the field. He scored 38 points, pulled down 18 boards and dished out 16 assists.

I didn't see it, but I'm glad he was apparently finally able to look like a high level prospect.

#473 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,729 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:40 PM

Do we think Summer League performance (good or bad) says anything beyond that players likelyhood of a certain level of immediate performance when the season starts?

#474 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,553 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:46 PM

Do we think Summer League performance (good or bad) says anything beyond that players likelyhood of a certain level of immediate performance when the season starts?

I think I already answered this. Yes, I think it has some correlation on longterm success. Now obviously it depends on how ready a prospect is when they're in summer league. So someone who is more raw gets more leeway.

#475 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,729 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:54 PM

Is your thought that players are fully baked entering the league?

I would think a 19 year old with 1 year of college would have a lot of time to develop beyond whatever he is as a player today.

Is that not the case?

What is it about a couple of summer league games which is largely predictive going forward?

*I note you said some correlation and not largely predictive.

So what is the long term correlation if these players have a long run of development ahead of them?

#476 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,553 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:21 AM

No of course players are not fully baked when they enter the league. It's truly astounding that I've had to say that same thing more than once.

Summer league is somewhat predictive in terms of scouting and stats in a similar way to their play in college. When someone scouts a player in a few college games to develop a scouting report, no one is suggesting that means the player will be that way forever. Same for a 19 year old baseball player. Yet, in both of those cases, people make determinations about their future based on scouting and stats.

Now of course summer league has key differences compared to college starting with it being a much smaller sample size, but also familiarity with teammates is significantly reduced, while the competition and style of play are closer to the NBA than college ball.

So summer league provides some insight into how good the player is at the moment, and just like in other situations where people assess young athletes, you can compare how each player looks compared to their peers, see glimpses of things that they may flash now, but do more consistently with more development, and see ways in which that player may struggle at the next level.

#477 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,703 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:32 AM

You aren’t gleaning anything from 5 games.

Over the last several years, you have seen guys struggle and be fine and guys who played great and weren’t good at all.

Historically speaking, rebounding, blocks, steals and assists are the stats that seem to translate from college to the pros.

Also, historically speaking, rookie seasons tend to be the year you see the shooting be the worst. In some cases, maybe you are learning a new shooting stroke (like RJ for example). You are dealing with a longer 3 pt line and, of course, just the adjustment to the quality of talent and speed of the game.
@BSLRobShields

#478 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,553 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:47 AM

You absolutely can glean something from these games, both in terms of scouting and the stats.

Shooting numbers do historically have correlation to the pros too. 3 point shooting and FT shooting are indicators of how well that player will shoot the 3 as a pro. Of course no stats are close to a sure thing in terms of predicting the future.

#479 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,729 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:54 AM

No of course players are not fully baked when they enter the league. It's truly astounding that I've had to say that same thing more than once.

Summer league is somewhat predictive in terms of scouting and stats in a similar way to their play in college. When someone scouts a player in a few college games to develop a scouting report, no one is suggesting that means the player will be that way forever. Same for a 19 year old baseball player. Yet, in both of those cases, people make determinations about their future based on scouting and stats.

Now of course summer league has key differences compared to college starting with it being a much smaller sample size, but also familiarity with teammates is significantly reduced, while the competition and style of play are closer to the NBA than college ball.

So summer league provides some insight into how good the player is at the moment, and just like in other situations where people assess young athletes, you can compare how each player looks compared to their peers, see glimpses of things that they may flash now, but do more consistently with more development, and see ways in which that player may struggle at the next level.

I'm sorry I asked for clarification. 

Since I respect your opinions, it puzzled me that you made a lot of his summer league performance.
You acted like his initial poor performance in the first couple of summer league games was alarming. 
When he had a good performance, "Glad he was able to look like a high level prospect." 

I was just looking for you to expand on your thoughts. 

Good or bad (performance), I don't think either is overly telling beyond the bolded point (which I've also said) that the play gives you an indication of how good they are in the moment. 

Everything else you've mentioned here in this post makes a lot of sense....

#480 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,703 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:06 AM

You absolutely can glean something from these games, both in terms of scouting and the stats.
Shooting numbers do historically have correlation to the pros too. 3 point shooting and FT shooting are indicators of how well that player will shoot the 3 as a pro. Of course no stats are close to a sure thing in terms of predicting the future.

5 games is nothing. The idea that you are now championing a SSS like that as something is hilarious.

And the article you posted earlier really didn’t say much at all either.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners