BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,447 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:45 PM

No Kyrie = better Tatum.

Quite possibly. Tatum has a lot of talent. I'm concerned by his propensity to settle for long 2's and the accompanying lack of free throw attempts.

#422 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:48 PM

"accompanying" is a strange sounding and strange looking word.

• jkough1 likes this

#423 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,447 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:50 PM

"accompanying" is a strange sounding and strange looking word.

Haha, great contribution!

Surprised you're even reading this thread.
  • Mackus likes this

#424 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:51 PM

I'm not saying he isn't a bust, I'm saying that any takes on how good he would be are irrelevant unless someone was saying he was going to have some issue in his shoulder and/or head that would lead to him forgetting how to shoot.

You were high on Tatum, and that's cool and all that matters here, not how he stacks up to Fultz or anyone else in the draft for that matter. There's a decent chance that Tatum won't be the best player from that draft, but I won't hold it against you if he becomes a star and Mitchell, Fox, or whomever becomes a bigger star.

But I am not really providing a take on how good Fultz is.  I am saying I thought Tatum was better.

Yea, Mitchell may end up being better but he also wasn't in the first pick discussion from anyone.  So, that's more of what I meant there.

@BSLRobShields

#425 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:52 PM

Haha, great contribution!

Surprised you're even reading this thread.

He's all in this year because Huerter, Len and Bruno are on the Hawks!

And Steve Blake is coaching.

@BSLRobShields

#426 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:53 PM

Well here's the thing...I don't deny his faults but unlike Mike, I actually watched him.  I am not taking the word of a few people, who probably have a middling track record (as most of those guys do) and standing behind it.  And unlike Mike, I look at his age and say hey, he could get better with these things and not brand him for life.

I don't really care that much if he succeeds or fails.  I will root for him and I hope he does well but once they leave Duke, I care a little less because I don't really watch the NBA that much.  

However, the kid is a natural scorer, a good rebounder, decent defensively and will improve his shot.  Will he be the best player in this draft?  Probably not. Could someone that got drafted after him be better?  Of course.  To me, it was a no brainer to take him at 3.  

I worry about his efficiency and he needs to improve on that...as I said before, I would cringe in late game situations at times because of the hero ball aspect of things for him.  OTOH, since I watched every game and knew that team very well, I also understand his reasoning for not always getting others involved...with the exception of Zion.  But again, you wouldn't know that if you don't watch.

I also think the college game trapped him somewhat..he didn't have a lot of room to maneuver in the paint and he would get bottled up at times..that won't be as big of an issue in the NBA.

None of this precludes you having positive bias for the player though. I mean, look, I haven't watched him, so I don't know either. Your post is a solid one full of critical insights someone who hasn't watched him wouldn't have. So you certainly deserve credit for that. 

We all have good takes and bad takes and we can't eliminate bias once we've established an opinion, we can only recognize it and account for it. I think the point here isn't that you can't analyze him. But maybe there are more flaws than you indicate or you're citing things as a little bit better than they are...and maybe you aren't. 

It's not totally unreasonable to suggest you might have some bias for Duke players being better in the NBA than they are. And if you're going to prognosticate on a player's future, it's not unreasonable for someone to point it out, either. And it wouldn't be unreasonable for someone pointing that out to be wrong either. It's a message board and opinions...

#427 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:55 PM

And Steve Blake is coaching.

I don't think I had heard that, that's awesome. 

#428 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:55 PM

None of this precludes you having positive bias for the player though. I mean, look, I haven't watched him, so I don't know either. Your post is a solid one full of critical insights someone who hasn't watched him wouldn't have. So you certainly deserve credit for that. 

We all have good takes and bad takes and we can't eliminate bias once we've established an opinion, we can only recognize it and account for it. I think the point here isn't that you can't analyze him. But maybe there are more flaws than you indicate or you're citing things as a little bit better than they are...and maybe you aren't. 

It's not totally unreasonable to suggest you might have some bias for Duke players being better in the NBA than they are. And if you're going to prognosticate on a player's future, it's not unreasonable for someone to point it out, either. And it wouldn't be unreasonable for someone pointing that out to be wrong either. It's a message board and opinions...

You mean like when I called you out for your Mark Andrews take last year and you didn't like it and took your ball and went home for a little bit?  :D

@BSLRobShields

#429 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:56 PM

I don't think I had heard that, that's awesome. 

Phoenix I think???

Edit:  Yep, Phoenix.

https://www.testudot...-williams-staff

I bet he will be good too.

@BSLRobShields

#430 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,447 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:01 PM

But I am not really providing a take on how good Fultz is. I am saying I thought Tatum was better.

Yea, Mitchell may end up being better but he also wasn't in the first pick discussion from anyone. So, that's more of what I meant there.

You can't say one guy is going to be better than another without assessing both players.

There's no point in bragging about having Tatum over Fultz. Tatum over Ball is legit. Just being really high on Tatum is what's important ultimately in this discussion.

#431 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:01 PM

You mean like when I called you out for your Mark Andrews take last year and you didn't like it and took your ball and went home for a little bit?   :D

I mean you're a prick about it. No doubt. So sometimes I need a break from you being an asshole. Sometimes I can handle it. You bring a lot to BSL because you have hot takes and you post a lot, all great things for the internet. But your affect isn't one that brings more people to the site, at times I think BSL could use your hot takes and posts without the sass. We'd probably not dislike each other if we actually knew each other in person, but computer screens sure can drive the bitterness between two people more than just about anything. 

Also, you seemed to not care that you said the Ravens had zero chance of Thomas. So maybe you're just oblivious to the notion that you're wrong about a lot more than you think you are. And maybe that's the key to lots of posts and takes. Plus ignorance can be bliss...

You can have meaningful discussions, disagree, and not be a douche. But let's not do this again...Ravens training camp is about to start and I'd rather be engaged with BSL. 

• BSLMichaelWeber likes this

#432 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:02 PM

I mean you're a prick about it. No doubt. So sometimes I need a break from you being an asshole. Sometimes I can handle it. You bring a lot to BSL because you have hot takes and you post a lot, all great things for the internet. But your affect isn't one that brings more people to the site, at times I think BSL could use your hot takes and posts without the sass. We'd probably not dislike each other if we actually knew each other in person, but computer screens sure can drive the bitterness between two people more than just about anything. 

Also, you seemed to not care that you said the Ravens had zero chance of Thomas. So maybe you're just oblivious to the notion that you're wrong about a lot more than you think you are. And maybe that's the key to lots of posts and takes. Plus ignorance can be bliss...

You can have meaningful discussions, disagree, and not be a douche. But let's not do this again...Ravens training camp is about to start and I'd rather be engaged with BSL. 

Glass houses

And maybe, just maybe, you could not be so overly sensitive about things too?  You seem to like to put the blame on me.  Accountability ever occur to you?  Ever?  

@BSLRobShields

#433 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:05 PM

Glass houses

And maybe, just maybe, you could not be so overly sensitive about things too?  You seem to like to put the blame on me.  Accountability ever occur to you?  Ever?  

Did I say I wasn't? I'm a prick to you because I think you're an internet bully and people don't stand up to you. I'll bicker with you when other people will walk away, which I think, is the way you like it. 

I also didn't blame you. I even said I might like you if I knew you in person, which was an implication I'm part of the problem. But I'm definitely part of the problem. Never denied it. 

And no, I don't think I'm being overly sensitive. Snowflake loud and proud, baby. 

#434 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:14 PM

Did I say I wasn't? I'm a prick to you because I think you're an internet bully and people don't stand up to you. I'll bicker with you when other people will walk away, which I think, is the way you like it. 

I also didn't blame you. I even said I might like you if I knew you in person, which was an implication I'm part of the problem. But I'm definitely part of the problem. Never denied it. 

And no, I don't think I'm being overly sensitive. Snowflake loud and proud, baby. 

Not a bully...just don't hide how I feel.

I never said anything on here I wouldn't say to your face.  I am not an overly confrontational person (never been in a fight for example) but I also don't sugar coat things either.  

And yes, a lot of it is being too sensitive.  Which is fine...that's how a lot of people are.  It doesn't mean you are a bad person or anything.  Its just a clash of personalities, thats all.  We never would likely be friends in person but I also don't think I would ever dislike you (I don't now).  You seem to be a good person, so I have no issues there.  We just have different personalities, views on things, etc..thats all.  

• jkough1 likes this
@BSLRobShields

#435 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:38 PM

Not a bully...just don't hide how I feel.

I'm not sure these are always mutually exclusive, but that may be the difference in our personalities as you suggest.

Anyway, Barrett is gonna suck. Did I do that right? :P

#436 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:43 PM

I'm not sure these are always mutually exclusive, but that may be the difference in our personalities as you suggest.

Anyway, Barrett is gonna suck. Did I do that right? :P

You're a moron.  Did I do that right?  :D

@BSLRobShields

#437 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

You're a moron.  Did I do that right?   :D

Exactly. :)

• BSLRobShields likes this

#438 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,308 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:54 PM

The Ringer: The 2019 NBA Free Agency Exit Survey

#439 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:19 PM

3 year deal for Kawhi, not 4

https://www.espn.com...year-clips-deal
@BSLRobShields

#440 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,447 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:51 PM

3 year deal for Kawhi, not 4

https://www.espn.com...year-clips-deal

2+1.

And KD is 3+1.

This is more risky for the Nets than a lot of people seem to be saying. KD's injury is very hard to come back from and they're paying all that money just for 2 years beyond next guaranteed, and Kyrie obviously has health and mental question marks.

Certainly a lot of upside, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners