#381 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,928 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:06 PM

Good thoughts from Broussard about Westbrook to the Pistons.

https://twitter.com/...1095101447?s=20

@BSLRobShields

#382 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,067 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:10 PM

Eventually Cousins is going to have to cover someone though. And he's the liability. The question is can they hide him? GS had trouble doing it, but that was also because they were trying to hide Curry as well.

Bradley is an interesting addition for them but he's always been known much better on the ball. With Davis, I'd want more spacially aware defenders because there should be some help. But Lebron definitely falls into the aware category.

Should be interesting to see a lineup like that.

Cousins is a bit of a wildcard. He was limited in the Finals due to injuries. If he can get back to how he was with AD in NO, or close to it, this team has a really nice chance at a title.

If he's hard to play at times, especially in certain matchups, he would hopefully not be part of the closing lineup.

#383 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:54 PM

If he's hard to play at times, especially in certain matchups, he would hopefully not be part of the closing lineup.

This was kind of my point though, I think in that scenario, he's only as valuable as he being part of that closing lineup. 

I'm not sure how he is as a defender or really much more than his stat line, but Daniels looks like he should fit really nicely in with this team. As a 6'4'' G he can help them weather any bigger rotation of lineups. And 38%+ on 3's is nice. 

No doubt, there is a good roster here. And Cousins seems to be haunted by what have you done for me lately. But as Rob said, for that pricetag, that deal almost seems assured to be of value. 

#384 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,067 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:06 PM

This was kind of my point though, I think in that scenario, he's only as valuable as he being part of that closing lineup.

I'm not sure how he is as a defender or really much more than his stat line, but Daniels looks like he should fit really nicely in with this team. As a 6'4'' G he can help them weather any bigger rotation of lineups. And 38%+ on 3's is nice.

No doubt, there is a good roster here. And Cousins seems to be haunted by what have you done for me lately. But as Rob said, for that pricetag, that deal almost seems assured to be of value.

Daniels is bad on D and doesn't bring much in general besides shooting.

If Cousins is pretty much back to his old self, he'll be able to defend ok, it's just questionable if he'll get back to that point.
  • BSLJordanKough likes this

#385 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:15 PM

Daniels is bad on D and doesn't bring much in general besides shooting.

Shockingly, even on the west coast, I did not catch much of Pho last year :). Agree about Cousins there as well. 

#386 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:17 PM

Im going to be real interested in what the ratings next year will be like.

I think the lack of  super team hurts the league and many of the better players are on the west coast.

The Zion factor could be huge for the league though.

Ironically, this should be the most exciting season in the league in a long time and ratings may be down.

Do you think that many people were tuning in regular season for GSW? Or do you mean in the playoffs? 

I don't have any sense of the ratings at all but would tend to think ratings would be better because more fans will think their team has a chance this year (and it'll be true). How that plays out for ratings though, I honestly have no clue. 

I imagine LA is going to be way more tuned in overall this year, certainly more than last year, and by a wide wide margin at that. 

#387 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,928 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:48 PM

First of all, the Lakers have a lot of quality defenders and if Cousins is back to a 20-10 type guy, it won’t matter what he is going defensively.

And Jordan, I think people love having that team to root against. Basketball is pretty regional but the big games get a lot of play and GS was on a lot of those big game time slots. I believe I remember hearing people talk about how the ratings have been up with GS being this good. And yes, I’m talking regular season. Playoffs should have great ratings.
@BSLRobShields

#388 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:42 PM

Again, you could say the same thing of GSW, they had at last 2 plus plus defenders in Green and Thompson on the floor with Curry/Cousins arguably 3. And you really won't find much better defenders than those 3. And teams were clearly gunning for Cousins. I do think he can bounce back, I don't think it's a given. 

They've got interesting pieces for sure, and I do think Cousins is a good value but there is a chance he just can't defend any more...it's going to be interesting to watch. 

#389 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:49 PM

I'm curious to see if "playoff watching" for seeds happens sooner and if that can drive some eyes, but honestly, I have no barometer for who is watching this is the perfect test case for super teams versus competitive years though.

Read an interesting article mentioning Denver and Houston as good cases for the "continuity" argument in the NBA. 

#390 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,928 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:16 PM

Again, you could say the same thing of GSW, they had at last 2 plus plus defenders in Green and Thompson on the floor with Curry/Cousins arguably 3. And you really won't find much better defenders than those 3. And teams were clearly gunning for Cousins. I do think he can bounce back, I don't think it's a given.

They've got interesting pieces for sure, and I do think Cousins is a good value but there is a chance he just can't defend any more...it's going to be interesting to watch.

Curry isn’t a good defender and if KD was healthy, none of that would have mattered.

However, the part you are missing isn’t his equation is where I said if Cousins goes back to being a 20-10 guy. His contributions for GS were next to nothing..so his defensive issues (which had a lot to do with him not being the player he was because he was recovering) were blown up. If he is back to his self on the boards and offensively, the defensive deficiencies become “not a big deal”.
@BSLRobShields

#391 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,067 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:07 PM

The battle of LA, especially if it occurs in the playoffs, will be a very interesting matchup. The Clips best lineup (probably not their starting lineup) is rather small with Beverly and Lou in the backcourt, Kawhi and PG13 as forwards, and Montrezl at center. That's really small compared to a Lakers lineup that features AD, Cousins, LeBron, Green, and either Kuz or KCP. Of course that works both ways as the Clips would struggle with that size, but it would be difficult for the Lakers dealing with the ball handling and quickness of that Clippers lineup.

#392 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:56 PM

Curry isn’t a good defender and if KD was healthy, none of that would have mattered.

However, the part you are missing isn’t his equation is where I said if Cousins goes back to being a 20-10 guy. His contributions for GS were next to nothing..so his defensive issues (which had a lot to do with him not being the player he was because he was recovering) were blown up. If he is back to his self on the boards and offensively, the defensive deficiencies become “not a big deal”.

Perhaps. I didn't miss it. We just don't agree. I think there could be value, but I think there is about the same chance Jackson improves as a passer for the Ravens as Cousins returning totally to form and not incurring another injury. Shrug. The value of the if matters, and I think it's bigger if than you do, that's all. 

#393 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:01 PM

The battle of LA, especially if it occurs in the playoffs, will be a very interesting matchup. The Clips best lineup (probably not their starting lineup) is rather small with Beverly and Lou in the backcourt, Kawhi and PG13 as forwards, and Montrezl at center. That's really small compared to a Lakers lineup that features AD, Cousins, LeBron, Green, and either Kuz or KCP. Of course that works both ways as the Clips would struggle with that size, but it would be difficult for the Lakers dealing with the ball handling and quickness of that Clippers lineup.

On paper it seems like guys like Lou Williams is exactly the type that could potentially give them fits with his runners and non-traditional scoring ability. But yeah, that's going to be a fun matchup. Gotta figure Doc Rivers could be the ultimate x-factor but damn even on paper in a fully healthy matchup just sounds great to watch. 

#394 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,067 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:04 AM

BTW, the guy that probably should be playing PG for the Lakers most often when LeBron isn't, or along side him, might be Alex Caruso. He's a decent young player that can hit some 3's and that plays better defense than a lot of the other guards the team has. 

#395 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:16 AM

BTW, the guy that probably should be playing PG for the Lakers most often when LeBron isn't, or along side him, might be Alex Caruso. He's a decent young player that can hit some 3's and that plays better defense than a lot of the other guards the team has. 

They have a great set of shooters to put around Davis and Lebron on the floor. They should be able to space much more effectively this year. Probably the one move I didn't like that they made was Rondo. 

#396 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,067 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:22 AM

They have a great set of shooters to put around Davis and Lebron on the floor. They should be able to space much more effectively this year. Probably the one move I didn't like that they made was Rondo. 

But playoff Rondo!

They're a very deep team (with a lot of mediocrity) and some guys are going to end up upset over playing time unless there's a fair amount of games missed due to injury / load management. Rondo will most likely either end up being one of those guys that aren't happy with playing time or be the reason why more deserving players are on the bench too much. 

#397 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:29 AM

Haha, playoff Rondo. I keep forgetting about Dudley, too. I thought that was a really nice addition. I almost wondered if they were better off not signing Rondo and Bradley and waiting to use that space later. I guess ultimately you can trade those guys away in whatever you might need, so why not...but as you mention: KCP, Cook, Daniels, Caruso, Rondo, Bradley. There just aren't going to be minutes for those guys at G, when Green and Kuzma are getting time assumably at the 3. 

#398 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,928 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:41 PM

17 points, 10 boards, 6 assists, 3 blocks and 1 TO for Barrett tonight

Hopefully this means he doesn't have to quit basketball now.

@BSLRobShields

#399 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,928 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:42 PM

Carsen Edwards is having a nice Summer League so far. He is going to be a potential steal of this past draft.  Be interesting to see how well he can score in the pros.

@BSLRobShields

#400 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,067 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:18 PM

17 points, 10 boards, 6 assists, 3 blocks and 1 TO for Barrett tonight

Hopefully this means he doesn't have to quit basketball now.

I'm glad he looked liked he belongs on a Summer League court.

I actually watched this after recording it, and he mostly didn't look good, but he did have a nice finish to the game, so hopefully he can build on that.

Speaking of former Duke players, Jabari signed with ATL. Another former Dookie that was going to be a star. 😁

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners